Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:01 AM

550 posts, read 989,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
True...
Truly gifted kids do NOT "even out". Any more than my son with Down syndrome will hit an inevitable plateau and stop learning. Every kid has a right to learn at their readiness level (not too hard and not too easy) and it actually is not difficult to meet that need. Cluster grouping to make in-class differentiation easier, self-contained gifted programs, subject acceleration, full-grade acceleration etc. are all solutions that have been highly effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
Truly gifted kids do NOT "even out". Any more than my son with Down syndrome will hit an inevitable plateau and stop learning. Every kid has a right to learn at their readiness level (not too hard and not too easy) and it actually is not difficult to meet that need. Cluster grouping to make in-class differentiation easier, self-contained gifted programs, subject acceleration, full-grade acceleration etc. are all solutions that have been highly effective.
Uh, d-girl...no one said anything about "even out." My post was about most kids reading by 3rd grade...at whatever levels. Take another look.

Knee-jerk reaction--watch it now, before someone really has to put you in your place.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 AM

Gifted education: How are children selected and is it uniform across Georgia school districts? | Get Schooled

Old 06-25-2012, 09:24 AM

We’re going to Disney and you’re not. The have and have nots in gifted education. | Get Schooled

Old 06-25-2012, 09:26 AM

Gifted parents: “Volvo vigilantes” and “academic one-upmanship” | Get Schooled

Old 06-25-2012, 09:29 AM

Only for MY Kid

Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM

#16 “Gifted” Children « Stuff White People Like

Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Love this blog!

Also, I agree gifted programs are more for parents and I even don't think that most "gifted" kids are actually all that gifted. True "gifted" children are very rare and all kids excel in something.

My son was tested as being "gifted" but he isn't in a gifted program, he goes to a charter school and they let him work at his own level in the subjects that he is gifted in - reading and science. They also have a great arts curriculum, art is his passion and he tested very high in creativity.

I was in a gifted program as a kid and honestly I don't think that it is necessary to label young children (elementary aged) as "gifted." All kids should be given the opportunity to excel in what they are talented in. I was in a gifted "class" and it was highly selective, less than 10% of our district tested into the program and it was very rigorous. In our district, motivation and the way a child was "driven" were the major factors of being gifted. Today, I do feel that probably excluded a lot of kids who were talented but just weren't as focused and determined as those of us in that program.

Also want to note, that it took a lot for me to admit that my son is not gifted like I was. Even though if I pushed him really hard, to the point of stressing him out, I could make him know the things I did at the level I did - all kids are sponges, but he doesn't have the drive I did academically and to me, because of my bias in that program probably, that means he is not gifted. Now I am satisfied with him just having a good educational experience and having the opportunity to learn and enjoy school. He will have enough time to stress about academics when he is older (even though I never stressed about it because school was always easy for me, he is not like I was though and unlike a lot of parents, I have acknowledged and accepted this so I don't expect him to be like I was, I expect him to be himself).

Old 06-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Love this blog!

Also, I agree gifted programs are more for parents and I even don't think that most "gifted" kids are actually all that gifted. True "gifted" children are very rare and all kids excel in something.

My son was tested as being "gifted" but he isn't in a gifted program, he goes to a charter school and they let him work at his own level in the subjects that he is gifted in - reading and science. They also have a great arts curriculum, art is his passion and he tested very high in creativity.

I was in a gifted program as a kid and honestly I don't think that it is necessary to label young children (elementary aged) as "gifted." All kids should be given the opportunity to excel in what they are talented in. I was in a gifted "class" and it was highly selective, less than 10% of our district tested into the program and it was very rigorous. In our district, motivation and the way a child was "driven" were the major factors of being gifted. Today, I do feel that probably excluded a lot of kids who were talented but just weren't as focused and determined as those of us in that program.

Also want to note, that it took a lot for me to admit that my son is not gifted like I was. Even though if I pushed him really hard, to the point of stressing him out, I could make him know the things I did at the level I did - all kids are sponges, but he doesn't have the drive I did academically and to me, because of my bias in that program probably, that means he is not gifted. Now I am satisfied with him just having a good educational experience and having the opportunity to learn and enjoy school. He will have enough time to stress about academics when he is older (even though I never stressed about it because school was always easy for me, he is not like I was though and unlike a lot of parents, I have acknowledged and accepted this so I don't expect him to be like I was, I expect him to be himself).

Old 06-26-2012, 06:34 AM

550 posts, read 989,635 times
Quote:
Uh, d-girl...no one said anything about "even out." My post was about most kids reading by 3rd grade...at whatever levels. Take another look.

Knee-jerk reaction--watch it now, before someone really has to put you in your place.
Um, wow Aries--that seems harsh. Really has to put me in my place? Seriously?

Anyway, I was in a rush and should have waited to post until I had more time, I didn't actually mean to address that post to you, but to the idea referenced in the post you were quoting, that early readers even out. I certainly was not intending to offend you or anyone and don't really get the hostility. I am sincerely sorry if the way I phrased my post caused offense.

Back to my point, it is something said over and over by educators (just as is the idea that kids with Down syndrome plateau) and it is used as an excuse to not teach kids. Every kid has the right to actually learn something new at school, no matter where they fall on the bell curve. This link addresses what I am talking about: Exposing Gifted Myths: Abilities even out in third grade.

"... children are already learning the habits that will shape their academic careers and their lives. Succeeding without trying is a really bad habit to learn. More than one educator has pointed out that more is learned through failure than success. By rarely failing, gifted children do not learn important skills in perseverance, changing tactics to achieve success, or overcoming obstacles. Many gifted children will refuse to try things that they do not believe they can be immediately successful in. I would argue that ‘learning how to learn’ is just as significant as what knowledge is actually taught in the schools and is a primary mission of educational establishments."

What a Child Doesn't Learn
[LEFT][SIZE=3]If during the first five or six years of[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]school, a child earns good grades and[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]high praise without having to make[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]much effort, what are all the things he[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]doesn't learn that most [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]children [/SIZE][SIZE=1][SIZE=1]' [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3]learn[/SIZE][/LEFT]
by third grade?

FAQ about cluster grouping, which is one way of meeting the needs of gifted students, (and all students).

Research in favor of acceleration: A Nation Deceived

It is in our country's enlightened self-interest to teach kids at their level. Limiting kids to only being educated with their same age peers and not differentiating in some way for those who learn differently could deprive us of future adults who could actually come up with solutions to complex problems our country faces.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: