Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:12 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I don't suffer from allergies, either. My husband gets a sinus headache right when the pollen starts to rise but his immune system does a reboot and he's fine for the rest of it. My son is like me...no apparent reaction.

I did notice that after a 5 mile run my throat is a tiny bit scratchy....and I have some big old neon green boogers. But, heck, 45 minutes of inhaling large yellow particles has to have SOME effect, right? The scratchy throat thing went away as soon as I got a drink of water.

Oh, and the heat? WTF? I left Atlanta March 26 and it was 40F. Went to Guatemala for work (OMG - Central America is amazingly gorgeous) where I was confined to hotel airconditioned treadmill running. I came back and it was 87F. Tried to go for a 20 mile run and crapped out at mile 11...just couldn't take the heat!

Time for heat acclimation training!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:46 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,245,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Me. Actually, in our family of 5, three of us have have no reaction to it at all, and my youngest only has marginal symptoms. Middle son is on Singulair and an inhaler all season long.

The worst part of this pollen mess for me is the inability to open the windows. Tonight is a perfect evening for letting some cool air in, but the film on the inside of the house makes it not worth turning off the air conditioning.
Do you mind if I ask if your son has Asthma?
My son has mild asthma, and some allergies.
He has been on Singulair nightly for almost 3 years now.
We have an Inhaler (as needed), but have not used it in 1-2 years.
I just keep refilling it so it's always up to date.
I wonder how his body will react to the pollen.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:53 AM

188 posts, read 680,439 times
I hate pollen season. I have got runny nose, red itchy eyes, itchy throat and weird itchiness feeling inside of my ears. I started popping pills since yesterday and it has made me drowsy.

There are so many varieties of the allergy medicine (even having the same name). Please suggest me a good one.

I had dust allergies when growing up. In 2008 it was horrible. It started with redness of eyes, itchy throat (and inside of my ears !!) followed by runny nose and cough. It was so bad that it brought back my Asthma which I thought had gone away for last 10 years. What troubled me most was that I had more relief when I was outside. When i came back into the house, my eyes would start throwing up !!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Do you mind if I ask if your son has Asthma?
My son has mild asthma, and some allergies.
He has been on Singulair nightly for almost 3 years now.
We have an Inhaler (as needed), but have not used it in 1-2 years.
I just keep refilling it so it's always up to date.
I wonder how his body will react to the pollen.
Yes, he does. Our eldest had asthma as a young child too, but he seems to have outgrown it. He is allergic to pine and bees (bad time of year for him to be outside), but the GA pine doesn't affect him the way it did in NJ.

Middle boy can get away with only using the Singulair when the pollen counts are high, but he also keeps an inhaler nearby, always.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Yay! Rain! Although with the sun and warmth to return later, the pollen will just explode soon

Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Yay! Rain! Although with the sun and warmth to return later, the pollen will just explode soon
At least it's knocking what's already out there onto the ground where it will turn into sludge.

I'll take sludge over floating particles.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
The rain will knock the stuff out of the air and on the plants for now. Since temps are going to drop into the upper 30s to mid 40s for the next few nights, it will slow down the plants from pooping out as much pollen as they have in the last few days, at least for a few more days. But there's no more rain predicted for more than a week at this point.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:43 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
The rain will knock the stuff out of the air and on the plants for now. Since temps are going to drop into the upper 30s to mid 40s for the next few nights, it will slow down the plants from pooping out as much pollen as they have in the last few days, at least for a few more days. But there's no more rain predicted for more than a week at this point.
Yea it will be interesting to see what happens. We should return to a little above average by Sunday. Mid to upper 70s but no 80s. Lows will be cooler but we could have 50s by the end of next week. Who knows. It can't get much worse than it was yesterday though.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default Cool Temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Oh no, I just put away my warm jammies and comfortor! Guess I jumped the gun with the beautiful weather.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:57 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
Time to turn the electric blanket back on! J/K. But seriously, the changes in temperature/barometric pressure can affect my sinuses too.

Someone suggested that I need surgery to get my sinuses scraped or something crazy like that. I knew someone who had surgery on their sinuses and he can't even breathe out of his right nostril anymore. Forget that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta