Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 02:58 PM

38 posts, read 103,936 times

Advertisements

I'm a young artist and grad student from Birmingham. I've been checking out Inman Park, Va-Hi and now the Poncey Highland area.

I've found two apartments one is on Ponce Ave. Near Freedom Path. and one is on Ponce Place. The one on Ponce Place is a studio for $675 a month 500 square feet. The one on Freedom Path on Ponce Ave is a one bedroom around 800 square feet and even provides a washer and dryer, which seems unusual from the other apartments I've looked at. Most have a laundry facility on site. This one is only $695. I'm considering both but should I be worried that there is something majorly wrong with the second one because of the price? I haven't looked at the apartments in person yet, just pictures. I'll be visiting in less than a week though. Just looking for convienence and safety.

I really loved the Inman Park area but I couldn't really find anything. My budget is $750 at most for a studio or one bedroom. Prefer hardwood floors. Off-street parking is a must and must allow dogs.

Is Poncey-Highlands a good option. It seems to be centrally located. Is it safe? I've heard it's a walkable area. True?

Is it easy to distinguish it from the areas around it? What are the differences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 03:31 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Those more familiar with the area will provide more specific FYI--I can give you the generic version.

Poncey-Highland is centrally located and very walkable. Ponce de Leon intersects Briarcliff Rd/Moreland Ave--the name changes at the light. You go perhaps 1.5 mi or 2mi to reach the Freedom Park area---IIRC, then you enter part of Inman Park---very nice area.

Ponce de Leon runs from the City of Decatur/limits to Peachtree Street--main thoroughfare for City of Atlanta.

As for the apt you liked/$695/washer and dryer---sometimes you just get lucky or who knows--maybe the house/building is not as exceptional as others in the area---I would hate to guess--but the area in general is relatively safe. This may help you understand the neighborhoods.

Go Here>>>
http://www.atlanta-midtown.com/

Poncey Highland/south of Midtown>>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poncey-Highland

Old 05-06-2010, 03:59 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sto1986 View Post
The one on Freedom Path on Ponce Ave is a one bedroom around 800 square feet and even provides a washer and dryer, which seems unusual from the other apartments I've looked at. Most have a laundry facility on site. This one is only $695. I'm considering both but should I be worried that there is something majorly wrong with the second one because of the price?
Is Poncey-Highlands a good option. It seems to be centrally located. Is it safe? I've heard it's a walkable area. True?

Is it easy to distinguish it from the areas around it? What are the differences?
I don't think that sounds too 'off' for a 1 BR in Poncey-Highland; the older buildings that have experienced a minimum of rehab tend to be cheaper.
I like P-H; it's a relatively small neighborhood (compared to its' neighbors, Virginia-Highland, Inman Park and Old Fourth Ward), and I like to think of it as Va-Hi's somewhat grittier little sister. Generally, it's easy to miss, as it is hemmed in by Freedom Parkway, Ponce de Leon and Moreland Avenues; the main roads through it are North Avenue and Highland...blink and you'll miss it. I think there is a bit more nuisance crime on that side of Ponce de Leon, but just use common sense and I think you'll be fine.
Poncey-Highland's most famous resident? Jane Fonda, although she announced earlier this week that she's relocating back to Los Angeles.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:47 PM

The Loft>>>
MY LOFT | Jane Fonda

Old 05-06-2010, 07:13 PM

69 posts, read 177,271 times
Not to offend anyone in Poncey Highland, but I went on a house hunting trip last weekend. My focus was the VaHi/Inman Park area. I looked at one house in PH. Although the house was beautiful, it was surrounded by houses with boarded up windows, porch roofs sagging, and generally unkept yards. The street was just too sketchy for me and it was basically a deal killer. So, maybe the apt that you have found just happens to be on one of those streets that has not been bought up and renovated yet. I will say it is a shame no one has bought more of the homes on the street in which I looked, as the run down homes were actually beautiful old structures. I also think that PH will always look like that until they do something with some of the places on Ponce, like the Claremont Lounge. That place needs to go, IMO. You are just going to have to go visit the apts and walk around the neighborhood. That is the only way you'll know for sure if it is a place in which you would be comfortable living.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter62 View Post
I also think that PH will always look like that until they do something with some of the places on Ponce, like the Claremont Lounge. That place needs to go, IMO.
God forbid! The Clermont Lounge is an institution in Atlanta! The locals would never stand for it.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 PM

171 posts, read 588,522 times
I live in the area between Poncey Highland and the Old Fourth Ward and am familiar with these areas. There are a lot of cheap apartments on ponce, but be careful because there is a homeless soup kitchen right next to apartments. While I do think its great for the homeless in the area, you may not like it because they really tend to congregate around the building.

Also it is very common in urban areas, particularly in Atlanta, for neighborhoods to change block by block. I live on a great block...well maybe thats not fair because our complex takes up an entire block, but if you go two streets over its really run down. This comes with urban living for the most part, unless you live in some other higher end neighborhoods. Even Inman park has this problem though particularly almost every first block off of Dekalb Ave.

I do like the diversity in Poncey Highland. You'll see every sort of person imaginable. Really easy access to midtown and other neighborhoods. I've also seen some for rent signs along Ponce on the other side of Moreland Ave. which I guess is technically Druid hills. They tend to be a bit nicer or larger homes split up into units. Still easy access to L5P, Inman, VaHi.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacole View Post
I do like the diversity in Poncey Highland. You'll see every sort of person imaginable. Really easy access to midtown and other neighborhoods. I've also seen some for rent signs along Ponce on the other side of Moreland Ave. which I guess is technically Druid hills. They tend to be a bit nicer or larger homes split up into units. Still easy access to L5P, Inman, VaHi.
I was over that way today. Still not certain how to define the boundaries--lived here all my life--lol--'One of Those People'.

I was on Moreland--thinking--'You are in Poncey Highland' and then I saw The Vortex and thought--'You are now in Little 5 Points' and I turned R or L--not sure. I was then on N. Highland--and ended up in Va Highland--I was certain of that.

So is Poncey Highland the area from Krispy Kreme to the intersection of Ponce and Briarcliff/Moreland?

I used to work at the former Sears--straight out of high school. Saturday nights at Sears---I sold lingerie and at 17 was frequently amazed at some of my customers. 'An Education'. We lol'd a lot.

I walked from Borders to Krispy Kreme last year. Had several interesting conversations along the way--handed out a few doughnuts--and was thanked profoundly. Wish there was more I could do.

I thought somebody wrote a book about Poncey Highland a decade or so ago.

I'd like to have a copy of that book. So very Atlanta---gotta love it. Ponce de Leon Ave--quite a history. I actually remember the baseball stadium --The Atlanta Crackers--albeit vaguely. My daddy talked about it and took me to the Krispy Kreme. Long time ago.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
So is Poncey Highland the area from Krispy Kreme to the intersection of Ponce and Briarcliff/Moreland?
On the south side of Ponce, I believe that Poncey-Highland ends at the railroad trestle (between Ford Factory Square and City Hall East) and Old Fourth Ward begins. On the north side, the same goes for Virginia-Highland and Midtown.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
On the south side of Ponce, I believe that Poncey-Highland ends at the railroad trestle (between Ford Factory Square and City Hall East) and Old Fourth Ward begins. On the north side, the same goes for Virginia-Highland and Midtown.

hmmm--train trestle and Ford Factory--the back side of the Sears/City Hall East bldg? Once a restaurant--70's or 80's--maybe now a club of some sort? You know how I am--driving and listening to the oldies--how I get from one place to the other is nothing short of a miracle. I will need to drive through again and try to pay attention to my driving.

I have never known where the Old Fourth Ward is--maybe Boulevard? I suppose I could check the collection of books about Atlanta--or ask my Mother who would explain at length ---lived in a tiny apt in Inman Park when she started working at the Trust Company Bank--'38 or '39. Cresthill. You would like that street---cobblestones.

spanx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta