Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:28 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times

Advertisements

I know they're government related, and that's why I didn't list them before... If were simply going by the term 'game changer' then it shouldn't matter because Plant Vogtle and the NSA are too massive to be ignored...

Hunstville's 'niche' and 'cornerstone' is based on the local government.... Bridgestone is private funds, and the 'auto plant' development so I don't know what else you guys want...

The fact remains Plant Vogtle($14 billion) is much BIGGER than Boeing, or any future 1500 auto plant coming to Georgia.. The construction probably won't stop until the year 2020 sometime.. People who live in Savannah already have jobs thanks to Vogtle, and the major construction at Plant Vogtle is really just underway...
Ironworkers

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-25-2012 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 02:25 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,389,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
I'm in school right now to work on the nuclear operations side of reactors 3 and 4 for Plant Vogtle... I'm well aware of the project and its details. All those projects you listed are great and I'm glad they're here and not elsewhere, but it's not private, it's government/public money. You and I are paying to build those projects...

As far as the quotes you posted about Starbucks... what plant opening hasn't been accompanied by comments like these? It's a different kind've plant in terms of what is already here, I'll say that. But, it's not a Boeing plant or a 1500 job auto plant either!

Augusta needs to get itself off of the government teat.
You right we as Augusta is not independent enough we can't stay above water without government funding

Old 05-25-2012, 02:32 PM

998 posts, read 1,550,731 times
Actually, it's more than 14 billion now... it's a learn on the fly situation and was somewhat expected to some degree with some input from identical AP 1000 reactors ahead of Vogtle's schedule in China. I'm well aware of Vogtle, I'll be working there.

You're looking at it differently than I and most people do... I'm not as thrilled about the government stuff as I am the private economy investments in the CITY. That's where the perception of Augusta will change to outsiders. When that 20 billion worth of investments is finished... will the city look any different? No, and that's my point... 2 of the 3 projects aren't even in Richmond County.

It's not just an auto plant, it could be anything... but the Starbucks definitely isn't the game changer and won't change the city any more than any of the other major plants on the south end of town. It will have no more of an impact than the tissue plant we lost out on if it had built here... it's still coffee, even if it's Starbucks over the front door! It's a good start.

The government teat is going to dry up everywhere in the U.S. over the next decade or so. Augusta needs to become a hotbed for private investment if it plans on taking that next step.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:38 PM

Bridgestone and making tires ISN'T an automobile assembly plant, big difference... another plant I'm glad is here, but the two categories are on different levels. You know that...

But again, it doesn't have to be an auto plant... don't get caught up on that, just an investment in the city itself that makes you sit back and say "wow, this is it".

Old 05-25-2012, 03:36 PM

Yes, the city and metro will look much diffrent after the $20 billion is invested... Several new neighborhoods, restaurants, hotels, businesses would have opened by then.... The new upscale extened day hotels(Home2Suites by Hilton and Residence Inn by Marriott) both starting construction this year, and Affordable Suites of America(temporary housing) is due to the Plant Vogtle construction...

I'm sorry but there won't be another single $14 billion invested in Georgia probably in our lifetime...

I bet the Augusta Corporate Park attracts another tenant in the near future, and it will be due to Starbucks locating there first...

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-25-2012 at 03:44 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 04:03 PM

The Starbucks plant is located in the Augusta Corporate Park, and can't be compared to any other plant... It's similar to comparing a hotel on the riverfront, compared to one going up Gordon Hwy... Starbucks purchased a total of 100 acres which is more they need, because they plan on expanding in the near future...

The BMW plant is located in Spartuburg County, and not Greenville County.. How come it's okay for Greenville, but not Augusta since the MOX and Plant Vogtle developments aren't located in Richmond County..

Wouldn't a metro of close to 600k attracting $1 billion Bridgestone, $115 million Rockwood, $172 million Starbucks, 100 IT jobs Rural Sourcing, Augusta Newsprint $55 million, FPL Foods $3 million 100 jobs, Potash $40 milllion, Bennett International $35 million 15 jobs, DSM Chemicals purchasing the former 40 acre Pfizer plant, US Fibers $5.5 million 48 jobs, Algae facility $10 million initial investment 200 jobs, Electrolux $2.5 million 300 jobs, etc between 2011-2012 be considered a 'hot bed' of private construction..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post

But again, it doesn't have to be an auto plant... don't get caught up on that, just an investment in the city itself that makes you sit back and say "wow, this is it".
ASU/GHSU merger, Augusta Regional Industrial/Commercial Park, Plant Vogtle, NSA, MOX, and Starbucks.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
Any highrises coming to part,and or Proposed?
The 7/8 story Hyatt Place hotel is the tallest proposed building at the moment...

The next tallest would be the Medical Commons opening in the Medical District, Home2Suites by Hilton/Residence Inn by Marriott in the Augusta Exchange area of West Augusta(5-6 story range), and the Taxslayer headquarters in Evans..

Old 05-25-2012, 09:08 PM

Do any of those employ 5,000+ like BMW in Greer, SC? No... they don't. Do all those you listed even add up to 5,000+ good paying jobs? I'll even let you include the ones that have been here for a few years, yet you threw in as if it was in yesterdays paper too... And quit talking about the Hyatt Place until something else happens, it's 2+ years behind and may never be built!

If you're hung up on the price tag for projects, knock yourself out... BMW's Greenville's footprint is larger than any plant we currently have in Augusta, it just is. It might cost less than Vogtle, but 5000+ good paying jobs is more than 1600+ permanent jobs at Vogtle for units 1-4. That's all that matters in the end and a North American Headquarters for BMW would attract more companies for Augusta than NSA, Vogtle expansion, MOX, Starbucks or any of the other ones you listed!

Augusta has some good things going on, but it still has a ways to go if it wants to be compared to regional peers on the next tier. That definitely includes outside perception of the city, which may be the hardest thing for Augusta to shake. Speaking of shake... put down your Augusta pom pom's from time to time.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 PM

As usual when somebody doesn't agree with you have to end up resorting to childish comments...

I can't help it if you can't keep up with the number of developments... All of the developments I listed either opened or were announced between Jan 2011-May 2012.. NONE of the projects listed have been here for a few years..... Which one has been for years??? I only included one development from the year 2010 which is Rural Sourcing... The company was announced in December of 2010, and didn't open fully until 2011....

The National Security Agency at Fort Gordon equals 4k good paying jobs by itself, and the wages are much higher than BMW in Greer... You don't need a security clearance for the majority of jobs at the BMW plant....

I don't know were you getting the Hyatt is two plus years behind schedule... The TEE Center didn't break ground until June 2010, and the Hyatt was supposed to after... I will continue to bring up the Hyatt Place hotel because it's was just mentioned this year lol.. You should probably do some research before trying to criticize people's comments so quickly... The hotel is under 'active projects'' on the DDA February 2012 report, and was put on the hotel construction website in January of 2012...

http://www.myaugustadowntown.com/min...ary2012rev.pdf

Developer for Hyatt Place Augusta to Select Architect / January 2012

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-25-2012 at 10:11 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 10:35 PM

I forgot Bennett International did have two expansions take place in Augusta.. The first was announced in Nov of 2010, and the second happen in June of 2011.. Still neither Rural Sourcing or Bennett International have been here for years, and both didn't open until 2011 anyway...

Please explain??? If you're going to make sarcastic remarks atleast know your facts beforehand...

1. Electrolux: Feb 2011
Electrolux will add 225 jobs | The Augusta Chronicle

2. PCS Nitrogen/Potash: March-Dec 2011
Planning & Zoning - Project Search Details

3. Augusta Newsprint/Bennett International: June 2011
Development Authority OKs money for projects | The Augusta Chronicle

4. Algae facility: June 2011
Project will use algae in biodiesel | The Augusta Chronicle

5. DSM: July 2011
DSM Chemicals to move Augusta labs to former Pfizer site | The Augusta Chronicle

6. FPL Foods: August 2011
Georgia Governor Nathan Deal - Deal: Augusta company creates 100 jobs

7. Rockwood: Dec 2011
New manufacturing facility to be built in Augusta

8. Starbucks: March 2012
Starbucks plans $172 million Augusta plant | The Augusta Chronicle

9. US Fibers: May 2012
US Fibers expands in Edgefield County | The Augusta Chronicle

I'll even add the 42k sq. ft US Battery expansion to the list... Nov 2011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area