Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:19 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,533,081 times

Advertisements

Its been some time since I've heard anything on Augusta. There are a few questions that Id like to ask on subjects that I let go of long ago.

1- Is the Masterplan sill underway?
2- What structure is going up in the Marriott convention Plaza area?
3- What will they do with do with the space that used to be of use for the Watermark project?
4- Is the River Watch Parkway Plaza still going up?

These are questions that I've never got an answer to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 11:21 AM

998 posts, read 1,549,872 times
1- Yes, pieces here and there. The masterplan from 1990 has some unfinished items still... so take it for whatever it's worth about the current masterplan.

2- The new TEE Center/Parking structure... in all honesty, it's been nothing but a legal/financial headache thus far.

3- As of yesterday it is part of 14 city owned pieces of property that will be actively showcased and put up for sale... it's received some interest already supposedly, but still too soon to tell when/if it will be sold or what it will be used for. It's right on the river and in front of the marina, you'd think someone with a good idea would come along and develop that land into something that is currently missing.

4- If you're talking about the Village at Riverwatch (right beside I-20), yes, it's going to come to fruition eventually... Costco just opened up and the rest of the 100+ acres will be developed in the future. Not much info on this since Costco has opened however and Bass Pro started the will they or won't they "game".

Old 05-24-2012, 04:44 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,533,081 times
Any highrises coming to part,and or Proposed?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:33 PM

I don't see a high-rise being built in any Georgia city outside of Atlanta for a good while yet to come... there is just too much existing space that's empty/unused and will have to be filled first before any more high rises will be built, the Marion Building (10 stories) in Augusta is a good example. If one is built soon, it would be a mistake, even Atlanta has a good amount of unused space in its taller buildings.

There's just a long way to go for Georgia's medium sized cities before another high-rise is needed... compare Georgia's medium cities to the perception of similar sized cities in Bama, Florida, the Carolinas and Tennessee... none of the cities in these states have Atlanta within their borders. Atlanta is king and Georgia's medium sized cities are just now really starting to get their downtown areas in order, some more and less successful than others.

Augusta I believe is on the right track, but it hasn't found its niche yet and is still waiting on the "game changer" in terms of attracting that one company, plant, industry or development that can really kick things in to high gear. Things are much slower to happen outside of Atlanta in the state, sometimes it's almost painful to watch... a lot of things are "proposed", but they often times never come to fruition or are delayed years... we have a few of these on our hands right now in Augusta.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:12 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
I believe the Starbucks plant, Augusta Regional Industrial-Commercial Park/General Perry Smith Pkwy,and the GHSU/ASU merger are all game changers... I think once things get up and running Augusta definitely feel the effects..

The construction of the Starbucks plant could be underway by now, and both the brand and location are much bigger than the actual development($172 million $140 jobs).. They purchased 100 acres which is enough room to expand when the time comes.. The 1,800 acre Augusta Corporate Park was named one of the top 10 megasites in the south(2009), and Starbucks is the first tenant..

Like I've said in the past the airport can grow for years to come(95% growth rate 2006-2011).. The new terminal didn't open until the year 2007, and the Palmetto Pkwy(I-520 in Aiken County) opened in December of 2009.. The airport continues grow: new runway(can support any of the heaviest aircraft), non stop flights to DC starting next month, Delta mainline service returning last year, 52 acres of land near the airport was purchased in 2011, General Perry Smith Pkwy, gift shop, restaurant, new FBO building, valet parking, etc. The 52 acres will help create the Augusta Regional Industrial/Commercial Park, and the $7 million General Perry Smith Pkwy will connect Doug Barnard Pkwy to the industrial/commercial park...

The GHSU/ASU can become even bigger if Dr. Azziz let's both Jim Jacoby and Cal Ripken contribute to the riverfront campus.. The Governor's Deputy Chief of Staff was recently named the VP of Goverment Relations at GHSU.. Governor Deal wants GHSU to become the second nationally ranked cancer center in GA, and move into the top 50 for medical schools(20 spots away).. New dorms/parking decks are coming to the ASU Summerville campus... The riverfront campus could have a research park, housing, performing arts center, etc along with possibly the mix-used development/multi-use facility... The $62 million Medical Commons starts construction soon, and $5 million is going to developing the cancer center.. Then you have the commercil aspect in terms of the GHSU/walmart neighborhood market development on 15th street...

Old 05-25-2012, 03:54 AM

24 posts, read 64,909 times
I wouldn't say Starbucks is a gamechanger. It's simply a manufacturing plant that will bring a couple of hundred jobs and won't have the multiplier effect that a auto plant would. When an auto plant comes to an area it brings not just the plant jobs but an entire industry i.e. suppliers and service jobs that support those workers. GHSU and Fort Gordon have been here and will continue to be here but Augusta needs that 3rd industry to get it to the next level. See Chattanooga and Greenville.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:18 AM

What does Chattanooga and Greenville have going on compared to Augusta in 2012??? Those cities similar to Savannah started developing their downtowns a long time ago, and it didn't just happen when BMW or Volkswagen opened....

Starbucks is the third most recognized brand in the world, and the plant in South Augusta is the first plant to start making products for their ready to drink beverages....

They purchased 100 acres on purpose, because they plan on expanding in the near future..

I'll have disagree about the plant not having the multiplier effect.... Plus it's the first tenant to locate in one of the top 10 mega sites...

Old 05-25-2012, 10:18 AM

Spot on Cardinalfan, I have been saying that a new "pillar" for the Augusta economy has to emerge and an auto plant with 1,500 jobs or so would be it... when or if that ever happens, we'll see.

Augusta has seen growth, but nothing more than incremental stuff... the new University will be a good shot in the arm, Starbucks as well, but Augusta has plenty of plants around town of similar size already. And the 1800 acre Augusta Corporate Park referenced as a top 10 southern whatever, has sat empty until Starbucks just recently announced their intentions. Forgive me, but an empty park is on a top ten list?

Augusta has seen growth Norton, but I think you know the level of growth we're talking about hasn't been achieved yet. Everything going on right now is a piece to the puzzle of Augusta renewal, but we're still waiting on that cornerstone.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:49 AM

I think people easily forget the amount of projects in Augusta because there's too many... Please show me another city the size of Augusta or metro Augusta were the investment will be higher than the acutal GDP.. Over $20 billion in four projects alone(higher than metro Augusta GDP $19 billion) is pouring into the local economy by the year 2018...

If you simply want 'game changers', and 'cornerstones' then we have three MASSIVE projects.... I tried to bring up developments with private investment attached, but no auto plant can compete against Plant Vogtle for example.. Plant Vogtle will have a much greater effect the state of Georgia compared to a simple auto plant...

1. $14 billion Plant Vogtle: 5k construction & 800 permanent jobs
2. $5 billion MOX facility at SRS: 2,500-3000 construction jobs & 1k permanent
3. $1 billion plus NSA at Fort Gordon: 4k permanent jobs

The list should be four massive projects since you're Greenville credit for the BMW plant in Spartanburg county.. The $1.3 billion Bridgestone (970 jobs), development is located in Aiken County....

I'll let two people respond who get paid for this kind of stuff... I keep saying the Starbucks brand is much bigger than the actual development.

In addition to the jobs at the plant, Augusta Economic Development Authority executive director Walter Sprouse estimates the plant will help create three to four other jobs in various industries.
“Construction, maintenance, lawnscaping, security, utility, retail – all these areas usually see increases in employment due to industrial jobs,” he said.

The plant will affect more than just the area. Chris Cummiskey, the commissioner of the Georgia Department of Economic De-velopment, said his office worked hard to recruit Starbucks because of the statewide impact. “Anytime you get a company like Starbucks locating in the state, it’s a good situation for everyone,” he said. Every investment in the state is important, Cummiskey said, but there’s something special about an internationally-renowned name like Starbucks. “People view you in a different way,” he said.

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-25-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 12:06 PM

I'm in school right now to work on the nuclear operations side of reactors 3 and 4 for Plant Vogtle... I'm well aware of the project and its details. All those projects you listed are great and I'm glad they're here and not elsewhere, but it's not private, it's government/public money. You and I are paying to build those projects...

As far as the quotes you posted about Starbucks... what plant opening hasn't been accompanied by comments like these? It's a different kind've plant in terms of what is already here, I'll say that. But, it's not a Boeing plant or a 1500 job auto plant either!

Augusta needs to get itself off of the government teat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area