Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 04:58 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times

Advertisements

Since neither city has a water park. Im sure together both cities can support a water park. Together they form a million man metro area. And with the tourist who visit the cities each year. Afterwhile you wouldn't need as much local support. Isn't the savannah river pkwy between the two cities complete. Anybody driven on that hwy lately? A water park in Jenkins or Screven county. Would be alot better drive than white water in Marietta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 04:34 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
It was too bad that the waterpark in Evans closed years ago. I think their liability insurance was just too much to handle. I remember Andersons swimming pool... it was practically a miniature lake! Too bad there isn't anything like that anymore in the Augusta area. With the economy in the state it is an many companies and businesses downsizing, I doubt you will see anything like a big waterpark happen anytime soon. I think a better location would be between Augusta and Columbia, SC. You have well over 1 million ppl in the combined metro areas. I'm not sure what the magic number is, but I think you have to have a market area of atleast 1 million people for a big water park outfit like Whitewater to move in or be a natural tourist destination like Wisconsin Dells, WI, which is a small town that boasts the largest concentration of waterparks in the world. Maybe they could do something on the lake similar to the waterpark at Lake Lanier. TRhat would be nice, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon, but it is nice to dream about.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:05 AM

726 posts, read 3,603,443 times
Savannah water park

Old 05-31-2009, 08:53 PM

Saw that today. Makes sense in Savannah since there are already lots of tourists there.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Greenville's got a water park: ::Greenville Recreation District - Discovery Island:: (http://www.gcrd.org/discoveryisland/ - broken link) Does Augusta?

Old 05-31-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Greenville's got a water park: ::Greenville Recreation District - Discovery Island:: (http://www.gcrd.org/discoveryisland/ - broken link) Does Augusta?
Evans used to have a pretty decent waterpark.. it opened back in the early 1990s, but I believe attendance started to slide and insurance costs were too much for it to stay profitable and it closed.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:41 AM

197 posts, read 611,512 times
Evans had a great waterpark but from about 1997 until 2003 when it closed, the owners never invested in the property. They talked about expanding the park but never did. It was successful through out the 90's because of new attractions and proactive management. A water park or theme park will not survive if they do not add new attractions every 2 to 3 years. Six Flags and Carowinds does it. Adventure Crossing which is a kiddie and teenager amusement park in Augusta just completed a multimillion dollar expansion to include a two level laser tag, and other new attractions. The old owners of the place when it was called Funsville sold the place due to declining attendance. The new owners reinvested into the place and attendance is back up again. Krystal River got complacent where they were and died out so they closed. Like I said people will not return to a water park year after year to see the same old attractions. Six Flags would also close with in 5 years if they did not update the park and add new attractions every few years. Augusta is ready for a waterpark but in a better location (near I-20) and proactive owners that will continually bring in quality attractions every other year. I would say that Flowing Wells Rd. at I-20 or Martiantown Rd. at I-20 would be prime locations. Maybe even a large White Water type park on the Aiken exit of I-20 would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area