Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:37 PM

267 posts, read 725,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The city is still by far the place to shop, dine out, etc. Augusta mall, Surrey Center, and a vibrant broad street downtown. Should get alot of the thanks. Aiken, Edgefield, Mcduffie, Lincoln, Columbia, McCormick, Jefferson, Wilkes, and Burke counties keep growing. While the city & Richmond county does too, wonderful time for the CSRA.

Augusta saw its highest month of sales tax collections since consolidation in April, taking in $9 million, according to data from the state Department of Revenue. The record was previously set in January with $7.45 million.

Year-to-date collections through April are up 6.02 percent compared to where they were at the same point in 2008, according to Assistant Finance Director Tim Schroer.

In a news release, Mayor Deke Copenhaver said the data “is proof positive that our local economy is moving forward even during difficult times” and “speaks to the strength of consumer confidence in our local marketplace.

“I firmly believe that this confidence is driven by the fact that local projects continue to move forward. And the tangible progress our community is making, represented by major construction projects throughout the community, is undeniable.”
Great post! Im happy to see Augusta growing & becoming a better place. To live, work, and play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:43 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
I remember several years back our dipstick mayor before Deke.. Bob Young wanted to change the city's motto from "The Garden City of The South" to "The City of Medicine". Well suffice to say, it went over like a cold hamburger. After it was determined that Durham, NC was already known as the "City of Medicine".... he proposed calling Augusta "the City of Hospitals"... that's just great... come to Augusta... it's a great place to get sick.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:21 PM

16 posts, read 29,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
ADP a fortune 300 company and ESI built their headquarters in Augusta. T-Mobile built their southeastern headquarters here. MCG is the only medical college in the state. And their is no SRS, ESI, or NSA in any other city or metro area in the united states. Beside Metro Augusta
I just thought you should know that Emory, Morehouse, and Mercer all have medical schools as well - it's just that they're private. You may already know that, but it's not clear from the post.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:35 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
Emory is one of the most prestigous medical schools in the country. Soon Athens will have a medical school.. a branch of MCG is opening up there.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:09 AM

250 posts, read 610,388 times
I like that Augusta is growing. Don't get me wrong, I just hate having to drive through the construction.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Augusta is growing towards Columbia and Atlanta. Plant Vogtle 2 nuclear reactors in Burke County 2011-2012. The growth in Augusta will go south towards Savannah.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:09 PM

614 posts, read 1,101,440 times
You're right nortonguy. I know that Doctors is off of Wheeler Rd. just like I know that Trinity is off of Wrightsboro Rd. I was just rushing. But, I didn't know we had the largest ADP in the country. -----Don't bash Augusta and it's hospitals. Our hospitals service 20+ counties and other states. When Travis Barker and Dj Am was in the plane crash in Columbia, SC, they were flown to Doctors in Augusta. We have some of the finest hospitals in the region. Better than the ones in Greenville-Murderville.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:19 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
Whoever said Atlanta was not booming needs to get checked. Yeah, the Atlanta market has lost some jobs but so have other similar sized areas. Plus, the Atlanta is fairing much better than say, Charlotte. People are not flocking to Augusta from Atlanta (some are, yes, maybe the retirees). Augusta is a place to just retire to IMO, while Atlanta is more for the young crowd. There is still a large amount of gentrification and construction going on in the city center of ATL.

And the unemployment in Augusta was 8.5%?? That is only .2% lower than Atlanta. Nothing really to brag about.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:43 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Whoever said Atlanta was not booming needs to get checked. Yeah, the Atlanta market has lost some jobs but so have other similar sized areas. Plus, the Atlanta is fairing much better than say, Charlotte. People are not flocking to Augusta from Atlanta (some are, yes, maybe the retirees). Augusta is a place to just retire to IMO, while Atlanta is more for the young crowd. There is still a large amount of gentrification and construction going on in the city center of ATL.

And the unemployment in Augusta was 8.5%?? That is only .2% lower than Atlanta. Nothing really to brag about.
There are several people and couples. From metro Atlanta under the age of 40 who haved moved to Augusta. In the last five years especially. I bet from 2003-2008. Metro Augusta gained more former Metro Atlanta residents. Than any other metro in GA. Atlanta does win among the younger crowd. Augusta does have things to do for young people though.

There is still a large amount of gentrification and construction going on in the city center of AUG too. Majority of the construction in the metro... Falls in the city center.

Augusta unemployment is 8.5% The 4,000 jobs for the NSA don't kick in until next year. ADP is still not halfway to their 1000 total. They just open about 3 weeks ago. T-Mobile has not reached their 800 yet. The thousands of jobs from SRS don't kick in until 2010. The thousands of jobs from the Medical District don't kick in until 2010-2011.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:12 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
You're right nortonguy. I know that Doctors is off of Wheeler Rd. just like I know that Trinity is off of Wrightsboro Rd. I was just rushing. But, I didn't know we had the largest ADP in the country. -----Don't bash Augusta and it's hospitals. Our hospitals service 20+ counties and other states. When Travis Barker and Dj Am was in the plane crash in Columbia, SC, they were flown to Doctors in Augusta. We have some of the finest hospitals in the region. Better than the ones in Greenville-Murderville.
Actually Augusta has higher crime and its home values and income are way below Greenville's. Again, people don't move to an area for hospitals and for the record Greenville's hospitals are actually very good, but people move here because of the amenities. What's your reasoning on why other cities like Greenville and Columbia are out growing Augusta so much? Why do they have a higher GDP? Answer these without the ignorant stuff to show me you can have an intelligent debate based on facts, not just childish things like Murderville when Augusta actually has more crime and is poorer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area