Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:23 PM

97 posts, read 251,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by careerbound View Post
LOL I saw that on engadget. I'm sorry but that guy is crazy. The iPhone 4 is nice though. But on getting the white HTC EVO that drops in July can't wait
I was not aware of an EVO coming out that's white.

People were waiting at 4 in the morning and some even at midnight to get the EVO, but of course when the new iPhone comes out people will be waiting for days haha.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:27 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
I just read that the new software update for iPhones and other Apple devices explicitly allows Apple to track the location of those devices in real-time That permission is hidden in the small print. Apple, the next Big Brother...

Old 06-23-2010, 01:33 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Actually has nothing to do with software updates, the phone has always had that ability. AAMOF, there is a famous case of a marketing company (Flurry Analytics) collecting this information quietly without the users knowledge. At least it's in their privacy policy (don't know what you mean about "small print"), note that Android phones can collect your location data as well (according to the Android privacy policy). Also note that Google has no official policy on third party apps explicitly requiring permission to transmit that data while Apple does (those somewhat annoying "Application FOO wants to transmit your location data" popups). Also note that Google has been collecting that information for years. Not to mention their latest kerfuffle with collecting wifi data.

So to single Apple out and call them "Big Brother" is disingenuous and misleading. In this case "Big Brother" has plenty of other "Big Brothers and Sisters" in the family. If one cares about this at all, don't get a "smart phone".

Old 06-23-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Actually has nothing to do with software updates, the phone has always had that ability. AAMOF, there is a famous case of a marketing company (Flurry Analytics) collecting this information quietly without the users knowledge. At least it's in their privacy policy (don't know what you mean about "small print"), note that Android phones can collect your location data as well (according to the Android privacy policy). Also note that Google has no official policy on third party apps explicitly requiring permission to transmit that data while Apple does (those somewhat annoying "Application FOO wants to transmit your location data" popups). Also note that Google has been collecting that information for years. Not to mention their latest kerfuffle with collecting wifi data.

So to single Apple out and call them "Big Brother" is disingenuous and misleading. In this case "Big Brother" has plenty of other "Big Brothers and Sisters" in the family. If one cares about this at all, don't get a "smart phone".
Hm, I read it on a German site, maybe it was not allowed there so far. Google street view is also not allowed there afaik.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Hm, I read it on a German site, maybe it was not allowed there so far. Google street view is also not allowed there afaik.
Yup, several European countries are far pickier about privacy issues than here in the States. This is the google effect at work. Google makes money (lots and lots of money) selling ads, anything that drives more ad revenue is their primary focus. Ad revenue can be increased by selling more expensive but more directed ads and the more information you have on a user, the more directed you can make the ads for that user, the more you can charge advertisers for the ads. As a purely software and hardware company, Apple doesn't really give a flip where you are at any given point in time. However, Apple as a now new advertising company, does (as well as all the other ad companies out there). As the race between the likes of Google and Apple in the mobile ad space heats up, there are going to be more and more challenges to user privacy.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Yup, several European countries are far pickier about privacy issues than here in the States. This is the google effect at work. Google makes money (lots and lots of money) selling ads, anything that drives more ad revenue is their primary focus. Ad revenue can be increased by selling more expensive but more directed ads and the more information you have on a user, the more directed you can make the ads for that user, the more you can charge advertisers for the ads. As a purely software and hardware company, Apple doesn't really give a flip where you are at any given point in time. However, Apple as a now new advertising company, does (as well as all the other ad companies out there). As the race between the likes of Google and Apple in the mobile ad space heats up, there are going to be more and more challenges to user privacy.
Yes, read about that, iAd, what else Well, Apple is on my ignore list. I like my old Samsung phone, it is so primitive, but very solid. I turn it on for about a minute once a month to check if someone has called me or sent me an SMS. But other than that, I am just boycotting all that mobile crap.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:08 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I like the new features of this iPhone, and will probably get one eventually, but I cannot understand the compulsive personalities who feel they have to camp out over night to be one of the first to get one. Come on people, this is a sick compulsive behavior. Get a grip!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:55 PM

308 posts, read 1,468,059 times
this requires you to purchase the service called mobile me. not expensive though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I just read that the new software update for iPhones and other Apple devices explicitly allows Apple to track the location of those devices in real-time That permission is hidden in the small print. Apple, the next Big Brother...

Old 06-23-2010, 04:56 PM

308 posts, read 1,468,059 times
that's called apple fanatics. I would like to wait for a while and see how the review goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I like the new features of this iPhone, and will probably get one eventually, but I cannot understand the compulsive personalities who feel they have to camp out over night to be one of the first to get one. Come on people, this is a sick compulsive behavior. Get a grip!

Old 06-23-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
this requires you to purchase the service called mobile me. not expensive though.
You're thinking of the "find my iphone" feature which is completely different than what neuling is referring to (iAds). To support iAds in the new OS, the privacy statement says that you agree to allow apple to access you location information (and some other tidbits) and send it back to Apple for their use (in this case to drive their ad engine).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: