Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times

Advertisements

Likewise, Travis County (including Austin) became more Democratic between 2004 and 2008.

Democratic vote in 2004 Republican vote in 2004
Travis County: 56.01% to 42.00%

Democratic vote in 2008
Travis County: 63.52% to 34.25%

Source: Dave Leip's Atlas of Presidential Elections (Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections - State Data)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:31 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Not to quibble..but No.

Republican vote in 2004 Democratic vote in 2004
Williamson County: 64.97% to 33.63%

Republican vote in 2008
Williamson County: 55.49% to 42.53%

Source: Dave Leip's Atlas of Presidential Elections (Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections - State Data)

Notice: The drop in the Republican vote from 2004 and 2008. As for the growth of the Democratic Party in WilCo, The Texas Tribune gives credit to demographic shifts within the county:

Source: The Texas Tribune, "Can a Democrat Win The Texas Governor's Race"
(Can a Democrat Win the Texas Governor's Race? — 2010 Texas Governor's Race | The Texas Tribune)
It could be that the hispanic growth is creating a huge shift nationally, including in the Austin metro...I don't think the democratic influence in Austin metro radiates terribly farther out though, and this is just one election, though I stand corrected...there is a severe recession out there, and mid terms are here....it could easily swing back republican this year per midterms, and in two years per the poor showing by Obama, not that its even his fault(but its on his watch, just like Carter in the late 70's, or the first Bush in the early 90's....he who is left holding the bag always pays politically..

Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt149 View Post
I think the reason many of the people that want to move from California to Texas is because of the people. Texans are proud of there state, they are proud of there way of life. Living in California all my life I can tell you there was a time when it was very much like that here. It still is in certain parts, but we want that again. We want to be proud of where we live, and how we live. It's just not going to be that way here in California for us, maybe never.
I agree because I remember what it was like growing up in CA. My father use to tell me CA "was God's country." Now he would turn over in his grave if he could see what's happening to his beloved state. I remember the days when everyone was moving to the Golden State. I remember the bumper stickers everyone had on their cars that said, "Welcome to CA, Now Go home!" CA is no longer the state I grew up in. It makes me very sad, but such is life. Everything changes and not always for the best. Yet with all of the negitive things happening in CA now most people couldn't understand why we wanted to leave CA. I've even had people who live here in Austin tell me I was crazy to leave CA because they would love to live there. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan View Post
I agree because I remember what it was like growing up in CA. My father use to tell me CA "was God's country." Now he would turn over in his grave if he could see what's happening to his beloved state. I remember the days when everyone was moving to the Golden State. I remember the bumper stickers everyone had on their cars that said, "Welcome to CA, Now Go home!" CA is no longer the state I grew up in. It makes me very sad, but such is life. Everything changes and not always for the best. Yet with all of the negitive things happening in CA now most people couldn't understand why we wanted to leave CA. I've even had people who live here in Austin tell me I was crazy to leave CA because they would love to live there. Oh well, to each his own I guess.
Isn't is really a question of "affording" to live in cal and buy real estate there? Honestly, if home prices were equal or better to Austin, and you could live in San Diego, the bay area, or the nicer parts of LA/Orange County, and say Santa Barbara and a few other choice areas, would you NOT be happy to stay there? I should add, if the jobs were there as well? I think this is just a real estate implosion and recession phase that is pushing some people out of the state. Those that are thriving out there are more than happy to stay, and many are prob happily strolling wherever they are, sailing, walking the beach, surfing, hiking the Sierras and Yosemite, and what have you...

Cal's middle-class are being economically pushed out of the state. The poor have no means to move, and the well-off and rich are quite happy to stay and live the life there....those leaving can't afford to live there anymore, plain and simple..there are exceptions, but it is very much the main driver, and it is PUSHING them out, its not Texas pulling them..

Old 08-31-2010, 06:48 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Isn't is really a question of "affording" to live in cal and buy real estate there? Honestly, if home prices were equal or better to Austin, and you could live in San Diego, the bay area, or the nicer parts of LA/Orange County, and say Santa Barbara and a few other choice areas, would you NOT be happy to stay there? I should add, if the jobs were there as well? I think this is just a real estate implosion and recession phase that is pushing some people out of the state. Those that are thriving out there are more than happy to stay, and many are prob happily strolling wherever they are, sailing, walking the beach, surfing, hiking the Sierras and Yosemite, and what have you...

Cal's middle-class are being economically pushed out of the state. The poor have no means to move, and the well-off and rich are quite happy to stay and live the life there....those leaving can't afford to live there anymore, plain and simple..there are exceptions, but it is very much the main driver, and it is PUSHING them out, its not Texas pulling them..
Pretty much. I've always said that San Francisco is the perfect city to be if you're extremely rich, destitute, or a tourist. If you don't fall into one of those categories, it's a very tough city to live in.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:54 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Pretty much. I've always said that San Francisco is the perfect city to be if you're extremely rich, destitute, or a tourist. If you don't fall into one of those categories, it's a very tough city to live in.
There's a lot of smug in San Francisco though. My sister lived there for years and ended up leaving for NYC (even MORE expensive) because she couldn't take the smug anymore.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
In the best of worlds, if money was no object, I would def be in San Diego....my god, how beautiful..beaches, mellow, mountains, ocean, canyons, really friendly people, a nice hispanic influence muted in the background, a really cool gaslight district...sailing in the harbor..and on and on....or maybe a nice place in Monterrey, off the cliffs....and toss a nice victorian in the "city", per SF, AND maybe a nice vacation cabin in the Sierras.....I can vouchsafe the exodus is financially driven 100%!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
There's a lot of smug in San Francisco though. My sister lived there for years and ended up leaving for NYC (even MORE expensive) because she couldn't take the smug anymore.
SF is not perfection, but really mindblowing on many levels...the sheer beauty, the very eclectic atmosphere, the funky stores, the neighborhoods, the trollies, Lombard street, etc....hell no, it is not perfect, but an awesome place to live if one could obvious swing the COL.
If it wasn't the home values would not be so high! Speaks for itself!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:21 PM

474 posts, read 905,004 times
With sufficient funds - there is NO DOUBT I would choose a location in Hawaii over any place in California or Texas.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:38 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
I just left Marin County, just north of SF almost 2 weeks ago now. It is an area of amazing beauty and resources. I am missing it. Yes, I am homesick, living in an older rental that barely fits us and all our boxes. We have to keep renting here until we sell the house there - that is one of the biggest problems with leaving CA - selling your house. People can't get loans. So we are "camping" - leaving things packed - hoping that our house will sell and we can find a place to buy here that we are more comfortable in. And no, there hasn't been enough time to adjust to Texas, so I am trying to be patient. Right now one of the things I find most difficult is not being able to keep the windows open. In CA, even if there is a really hot day, the nights are cool, and you can cool the house down by leaving the windows open all night. I am not used to living in "canned" air. It is hard to be out in the heat, but claustrophobic inside. I know this is just perception on my part, but I am suffering from the lack of cool breezes and fresh air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin