Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wave back when someone let's you change lanes in traffic?
Yes. 79 95.18%
No. 3 3.61%
I am not aware of this custom 1 1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:46 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,021,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by umaboshi View Post
I'll have to second the notion that this isn't an austin only thing.
It isn't an Austin only thing, but it's part of the culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 08:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Why does that make you angry? Because you didn't get what you wanted?
Perhaps because it's rude and not in line with the "drive friendly" attitude that we were used to for so long? The whole, "Oh, my God, if I let someone in I'll be a whole car length further back and the world will end!" attitude that's sadly becoming more common here.

I can remember clearly when if there was a line of traffic going very slowly and someone waiting to enter the roadway, it was a given that people would pause and gesture them in, or if traffic was moving onto the freeway and someone needed to merge into the entrance lane that someone would slow just enough to allow them to do so.

It's possible that the woman in question saw a hazard that the poster did not, but the description sounds like traffic was barely moving, if at all, if there was time to ask to be allowed in and be refused, and that makes that scenario much less likely.

Now, if the poster rushed up to the front in an empty lane past a long line of traffic that was merging into one lane, while others merged further back, appropriately, as soon as the "lane ends, merge" sign appeared, and then asked to cut in in front of everyone else, that would be another matter and the rudeness would be on her side.

Hard to know without more details - Lillibelle, care to provide them?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umaboshi View Post
I'll have to second the notion that this isn't an austin only thing. Up (and over) gere in PDX, this waving is quite common. I'd also have to say that the left and right coasts are pretty wide swaths of land to lump into one bucket...
Yup, I remember my Mom doing "the wave" in MA when I was little. It took me forever to understand that the people weren't friends of hers who she was waving to. I'd always ask, "Who's that?" I still do it in PA today and many (not all) drivers here do the wave too. I promise I'll wave if we ever get to Austin!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,104,601 times
Yes, I wave, and also did it when I was in California. It is common there, too.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:42 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,021,687 times
I have noticed that small towns up NE (Oswego, Northampton, etc.) are more friendly to pedestrians, though. It was a given that peds had the ROW.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:46 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I have noticed that small towns up NE (Oswego, Northampton, etc.) are more friendly to pedestrians, though. It was a given that peds had the ROW.
Yes. I lived in a town 35 miles west of Northampton. I can at least attest that in western MA pedestrians had the right of way. When walking around in town in Northampton or Amherst you could pretty much dip your toes in the sidewalk without even looking both ways and feel confident that drivers would stop.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:00 AM

26 posts, read 136,164 times
I was heading east on 6th and trying to get onto Mopac. I realized I was in the go straight only lane (I don't go this way often) and I needed to get one lane over so that I could get onto Mopac instead. The woman was in some giant SUV thing and just would not let me in. No imminent danger, traffic moving fairly slowly. Seemed irritated I would deign to ask. So yes, I was mad I did not get what I wanted from someone clearly having a me moment.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
I have lived all over the Western half of the US and found that friendly wave to be more of a Texas thing. As is pulling over onto the shoulder to make it easier for someone to pass you if you are driving slower. I remember when Texas had "Drive Friendly" signs where highways entered the state. I did not notice one last time I returned to the state.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 AM

970 posts, read 1,873,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have lived all over the Western half of the US and found that friendly wave to be more of a Texas thing. As is pulling over onto the shoulder to make it easier for someone to pass you if you are driving slower. I remember when Texas had "Drive Friendly" signs where highways entered the state. I did not notice one last time I returned to the state.
The waving is also common in the Midwest, but pulling over to let others pass is more uniquely Texan I think. I remember those "Drive Friendly" signs!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 AM

327 posts, read 767,144 times
I was under the impression that it was a flat-out Southern thing..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin