Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wave back when someone let's you change lanes in traffic?
Yes. 79 95.18%
No. 3 3.61%
I am not aware of this custom 1 1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:34 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,299 times

Advertisements

I've always regarded this as a cultural staple of Austin, and a foregone conclusion when driving: that when someone let's you over in traffic, you wave at them, they wave back. Even though I still wave at people (even when they try to cut me off) and always will, I'm seeing less reciprocation these days. Perhaps people are becoming apathetic, or newcomers aren't aware of this custom, or care about being simpatico with their fellow Austinites. My question - do you wave at people when they let you over in traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,761 times
Yes, I wave when someone makes an effort to let me into traffic.

I don't think Austin can claim this as an Austin thing.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:41 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
Yes, I wave when someone makes an effort to let me into traffic.

I don't think Austin can claim this as an Austin thing.
True on that count, but that type of etiquette has existed in Austin for a long time, and has been woven into the culture here. It's probably a "small town" thing and to a lesser extent a "Texas" thing. I never got waved at back in Dallas, though. I probably had more people switching lanes with no signal because they assumed I would try to cut them off if I knew otherwise.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:02 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,654,724 times
I always wave and I think it is more of a Texas thing. In my adventures out of state not so much...

Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I've always regarded this as a cultural staple of Austin, and a foregone conclusion when driving: that when someone let's you over in traffic, you wave at them, they wave back. Even though I still wave at people (even when they try to cut me off) and always will, I'm seeing less reciprocation these days. Perhaps people are becoming apathetic, or newcomers aren't aware of this custom, or care about being simpatico with their fellow Austinites. My question - do you wave at people when they let you over in traffic?

Yes, I do and, like you, I even wave or blow a kiss to that idiot who just cut me off. I also wave at just about everyone I meet on a county road or other two lane.

As to why it's becoming less common? Maybe that's because Austin, along with the rest of Texas, is filling up with non-Texan's who bring their right or left coast attitudes with them. They haven't been here long enough to adopt our more genteel manners.

Be patient and teach them. They'll either start doing it themselves or go stark raving mad trying to figure why everyone keeps waving at them.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:08 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
I do often. I like the gesture very much.

I also honk when people do stupid things.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 AM

26 posts, read 136,173 times
What do you do when you gesture to someone to let you in and they look at you and shake their head no? I had a woman do that a while back and I was so mad!! Yes, I see you, and no, I will not let you in even though you won't be able to get on Mopac now. Grrr.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:34 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibelle View Post
What do you do when you gesture to someone to let you in and they look at you and shake their head no? I had a woman do that a while back and I was so mad!! Yes, I see you, and no, I will not let you in even though you won't be able to get on Mopac now. Grrr.
Keep in mind they may see an unsafe situation you don't. There have been several instances where someone has signaled for me to proceed but I or someone else would have been creamed. I also hate when someone else has the right of way but the want to be the nice guy and signal someone else to go. All this does is cause confusion and slows everyone down.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibelle View Post
Why does that make you angry? Because you didn't get what you wanted?

Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 AM

30 posts, read 98,425 times
I'll have to second the notion that this isn't an austin only thing. Up (and over) gere in PDX, this waving is quite common. I'd also have to say that the left and right coasts are pretty wide swaths of land to lump into one bucket...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin