Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 06:17 PM

55 posts, read 155,475 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I just moved to the area (in Round Rock) and I am amongst boxes as I type this.
I need some advice on where to get good clean furniture in Austin. I would like them to offer delivery. I am in need of a full or queen size bed and a couch to start off. I have my eye on one at Ikea, but I'm a graduate student on a budget.
I haven't bought furniture since bed bugs got really bad, so my biggest fear is buying something and being eaten alive.
Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 06:25 PM

326 posts, read 764,754 times
Since you are young, you probably don't need fancy mattress. I buy mine in Costco, cheap and trustworthy. They sell couch too. You probably can check out their price.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
Since you are young, you probably don't need fancy mattress. I buy mine in Costco, cheap and trustworthy. They sell couch too. You probably can check out their price.

Thanks! Both for the advice and saying that I'm young.
I am a Costco member, so I'll check it out.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:39 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdee View Post
I am a Costco member, so I'll check it out.
Per your other post, you ARE pretty young compared to SOME of us! Good on ya for going back to school.
Apologies if you already know about the IKEA 'odds and ends' clearance area...might have something for you. Costco is a fer piece down the road if you need to haul the furniture yourself(no so bad with a vehicle...a bit tougher if you have to carry it over your shoulder ).

NO idea what they might have, but JCPenny is having 'final' markdowns on 'clearance' items...could get lucky!
JCPenney : clearance

Old 08-14-2011, 06:42 PM

326 posts, read 764,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdee View Post
I went to grad school 20 years ago . So you are very young. Have great memories of those days when I could say I was a graduate student.

Forgot to say "welcome". Welcome! You will love Austin.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:49 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Also, if you can wait a bit, Avery Ranch is having its 'neighborhood garage sale' on Sept 10th. Quite a few of the larger subdivisions have community sales in late summer and early spring. You might check out Teravista since it's just across the way...not sure how to get the info on line.

I hear ya on buying used bedroom stuff...I'd surely look for a new mattress; but the bed itself and possibly the couch should be easy to inspect. Aren't you college 'kids' supposed to use futons? Maybe I'm showing MY age now!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Per your other post, you ARE pretty young compared to SOME of us! Good on ya for going back to school.
Apologies if you already know about the IKEA 'odds and ends' clearance area...might have something for you. Costco is a fer piece down the road if you need to haul the furniture yourself(no so bad with a vehicle...a bit tougher if you have to carry it over your shoulder ).

NO idea what they might have, but JCPenny is having 'final' markdowns on 'clearance' items...could get lucky!
JCPenney : clearance
Thanks! I had no idea about IKEA's clearance section. I will check it out, as I live a few miles away. I think delivery would be better- I've made 6 trips from Dallas with tons of boxes. I tied the bed on my roof, but of course it ended up raining.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
I went to grad school 20 years ago . So you are very young. Have great memories of those days when I could say I was a graduate student.

Forgot to say "welcome". Welcome! You will love Austin.
Thanks for the welcome.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Also, if you can wait a bit, Avery Ranch is having its 'neighborhood garage sale' on Sept 10th. Quite a few of the larger subdivisions have community sales in late summer and early spring. You might check out Teravista since it's just across the way...not sure how to get the info on line.

I hear ya on buying used bedroom stuff...I'd surely look for a new mattress; but the bed itself and possibly the couch should be easy to inspect. Aren't you college 'kids' supposed to use futons? Maybe I'm showing MY age now!

Thanks! I live in Teravista, so I will check that out if I don't have anything by then. This woman will be rested up by then, so I could move some big stuff.
Futons are so undergraduate- lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin