Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 03:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Yeah, well, the guy at Bon Appetit that named it Best BBQ in the world? Take a look at his BBQ creds. Sure makes me pause every time that magazine says something like that now: "Wait. Did the author/reviewer ever taste this stuff before in his/her life, and how MUCH of it did they sample made by how many different people?"

Old 12-30-2011, 10:40 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Finally made it to Threadgill's on N, Lamar Thursday for lunch. My kind of menu. Went for the meatloaf(a telling yet potentially dangerous barometer of what goes on in the kitchen, IMO). Fairly tasty, although the 'meat' had little of its original character left after it was pulverized. Sweetish tomato sauce had more celery and twang than I care for. Scalloped potatoes were flavorful only because of the cream sauce...passable. Green bean casserole was fine. Bread selection was interesting. The all-important sweet tea was refilled rapidly...always a good sign. It's not my part of town; but, I'll plan to return for another lunch visit soon. Plenty of interesting lunch entrees and sides to try.

Our more sophisticated diners may not know that Dickey's 200th store is open in Abilene. Cousin Karl is very excited that a store is opening near Jackson, MS. Seems good old Texas brisket is hard to come by over there in pulled pork country.(Actually, Dickey's pulled pork ain't half bad!) I'd say you could get very acceptable BBQ from Dickey's and avoid some of the hoopla of the other joints. From their site:
The first Dickey’s Barbecue opened in 1941 in Dallas, TX.
The original location is still open for business and Dickey’s Barbecue is still owned and operated by the Dickey Family.
But, we are growing, and growing fast!
Dickey’s only began franchising in 1994 and today, we are the largest quick serve chain in the country with locations coast to coast!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:12 AM

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yeah, well, the guy at Bon Appetit that named it Best BBQ in the world? Take a look at his BBQ creds. Sure makes me pause every time that magazine says something like that now: "Wait. Did the author/reviewer ever taste this stuff before in his/her life, and how MUCH of it did they sample made by how many different people?"
The dude who wrote that review knows absolutely NOTHING about barbecue brisket. Quote: "Whereas most places smoke brisket for seven hours at a blazing 500°, Franklin cooks his for about 18 hours at 250° to 270°."

500 degrees for seven hours? Give me a break! A good example of how meaningless buzz and reviews are. I make it a point to stay away from places that are suddenly in the spotlight because of reviews. If still going strong a few years down the road I will give them a try.

Don

Old 12-31-2011, 09:16 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,309 times
Black's is the only BBQ place in Lockhart with decent sides, their BBQ I thought was just okay. Smitty's is the spot in Lockhart for me. I also do not get the Franklin love. The food was mediocre to me. Stiles switch was decent and it's in town.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:58 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Kruez Market has the best brisket and ribs in Lockhart without a doubt. I bring some of Rudy's Sause and I am good to go. Smitty's is drier than Kruez and Black's is fatter to get the same flavor IMO.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:20 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,512 times
In Austin, the last restaurant was Hopdoddy's. Loved the burgers, and the fries were incredible. My wife had a delicious beer and I had a high-end root beer that also tasted great. Can't wait to get back soon.

And just yesterday, we went to The Leaning Pear in Wimberley. Sat outside in 80 degree weather and had a great lunch. We've been there 3 times now and are always impressed by the food.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:44 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
I was in the Austin area for the Alamo Bowl a few weeks ago and ate at a few local spots:

Threadgills - Had the Chicken Fried Steak
Juan in a Million - had the Don Juan, a giant breakfast burrito
The Salt Lick - had the ribs, brisket, and sausage. Amazing stuff!
Round Rock Donuts - fresh and warm, cakey donuts

All in all good stuff. Threadgills was a tad salty, but still good. Juan in a Million was great bang for the buck. The Salt Lick was off the charts amazing! Round Rock Donuts was good too, but can't quite hang with my Seattle favorite, Mighty-O.

Good stuff. Next time I am in the area I want to eat at Chuy's and Franklin BBQ. My trek into the Hill Country cut into the Austin time this trip.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:30 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I was in the Austin area for the Alamo Bowl a few weeks ago and ate at a few local spots:

Threadgills - Had the Chicken Fried Steak
Juan in a Million - had the Don Juan, a giant breakfast burrito
The Salt Lick - had the ribs, brisket, and sausage. Amazing stuff!
Round Rock Donuts - fresh and warm, cakey donuts

All in all good stuff. Threadgills was a tad salty, but still good. Juan in a Million was great bang for the buck. The Salt Lick was off the charts amazing! Round Rock Donuts was good too, but can't quite hang with my Seattle favorite, Mighty-O.

Good stuff. Next time I am in the area I want to eat at Chuy's and Franklin BBQ. My trek into the Hill Country cut into the Austin time this trip.
Sweet! I see you tried all 3 places featured on Man vs Food All of those are pretty great...next time get some local suggestions on here- I've found some amazing food via the Austin forum

Old 01-10-2012, 08:57 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
^ I didn't see that Man vs. Food but I'll have to now. I got tips from some folks from Austin and surrounding counties. Threadgills was the only one not suggested to me, but I had few choices on Christmas night.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Tried a couple of old standbys for Austinites(but new to me) in the past few days...can't eat BBQ EVERY day...
Texas French Bread @ Rio Grande/29th for Saturday 'brunch'. Going free-range, natural, organic, local can be a little spendy. Two banana/walnut pancakes(smallish) and TWO strips of bacon=$14
DW's nine-dollar omelet was really very good. Take-home brownies were meh. Glad we had a Groupon in hand .
Breakfast — Texas French Bread

Speaking of Groupons, EVERYbody @ Hyde Park Grill north/central visited on Tuesday with Groupon on board! Wish I had purchased two instead of one. It's not my part of town, but the service was excellent and the food tasty. Lunch specials are around $10. I had the pork shepherd's pie and green beans(served as haricot vert but no extra charge ). DW was less enthusiastic about her tilapia but really enjoyed the carrot cayenne soup. Side of rice was flavorful and I thought the left-over tilapia made a tasty dinner. Tarter sauce wasn't what I'm used to, but it was a good accompaniment to the fish. Get there early if today's crowd is the usual. Also, parking is an adventure but the meal is worth the effort. Next time, we'll try getting there before 11:30 or wait until after the lunch rush.

Anybody have any feedback on Dirty Martin's? We've been thinking about lunch there...just haven't made it yet. Is it just 'bar food' or worth a lunch trip?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin