Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:13 AM
GM1 GM1 started this thread

5 posts, read 17,231 times

Advertisements

I have been considering a move and have been looking at different neighborhoods in the Austin area. I'm very interested in Travis Heights. Was wondering if I can get some thoughts on the neighborhood, such as the general property tax rate, and also how do the schools rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 12:29 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,492 times
You asked about the things I can't answer. Tax rates and schools don't affect my decisions much. All I can say is that Travis Heights is a gorgeous, expensive area with a wide variety of housing, a phenomenally convenient location, and a lot of hype that might inflate housing prices above what is sustainable. That's a question nobody can answer, but it's one of the most expensive places in Austin because of its unique beauty, older homes, location, amenities, etc.

When considering schools, one thing I'd suggest is that you look into Austin's fantastic home-schooling network. It allows you to give your children a huge variety of experiences that they could never have in the prisons we call public schools. I'm sure I'll get bashed by public school supporters, but I see those institutions as dinosaurs in need of an asteroid. Anarchistic schooling is a rapidly growing movement that is flourishing in Austin, but it does require some flexibility and anarchy in your own personal schedule and lifestyle.

Taxes in Travis Heights will reflect the high valuations of property there, so they'll be high. But you might feel that it's worth the price if you really love that neighborhood. Loving where you live is worth a high price, IMHO.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:06 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
If you can afford Travis Heights, you can afford private school.

Best neighborhood in Austin IMHO.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:23 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,512 times
I live in Dallas but my grandparents lived in Travis Heights for over 50 years from the 1930's to 1980's. It's a beautiful area. They lived in one house until 1949, which is when they built the one they lived in the rest of their lives. I wish we still had their house but I don't think we could afford the taxes! The 1,300 sq. ft. house they built for $11,000 is on the tax rolls at $410,000! They would never have believed it. Of course, now it has central air and probably looks better than it did when it was brand new - lol! My grandparents were middle-class people living in a middle-class neighborhood back then. My how times have changed!

Old 09-09-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
If you can afford Travis Heights, you can afford private school.

Best neighborhood in Austin IMHO.
I could have just what you said instead of my long-winded reply.

Nice summary of the topic, achtung.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:45 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
I honestly don't know anyone in the Austin area who wouldn't want to live in Travis Heights. It is absolutely perfect in every way except that it's too expensive for the average person. Be warned... Travis Heights is reserved for the wealthy (just like every other desirable, central-city location in Austin).

Old 09-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I honestly don't know anyone in the Austin area who wouldn't want to live in Travis Heights. It is absolutely perfect in every way except that it's too expensive...
I'll give you some other reasons why it's not ideal for everyone:
1. not the best public schools
2. very close to I-35, Riverside and Congress, making it ideal for burglars (as I experienced)
3. few sidewalks or other urban amenities in a neighborhood that is used by many people as a commuting short-cut (this is mainly important for off-leash dogs and children)

Those are fairly minor complaints. I don't know of any other city in the USA that has a neighborhood so beautiful, with a free spring-fed swimming pool and a long creekside park and interesting topography and wonderful people and diverse architecture, all within walking distance of the downtown of a metro area that is now at 1.6 million and will soon reach the 2 million mark.

Yeah, Travis Heights is pretty amazing. But the diversity of human needs and preferences is also pretty amazing. It's not for everyone, but for those who love it and can afford it, there's not much that can top it.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:11 AM
GM1 GM1 started this thread

5 posts, read 17,231 times
Anyone have the zip code for Travis Heights?

Old 09-10-2007, 09:29 AM

Travis Heights zip is 78704

Old 09-11-2007, 08:35 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I honestly don't know anyone in the Austin area who wouldn't want to live in Travis Heights. It is absolutely perfect in every way except that it's too expensive for the average person. Be warned... Travis Heights is reserved for the wealthy (just like every other desirable, central-city location in Austin).
If you are a Republican and want to place political signs in your yard, be prepared for vandalism.

It's not reserved for the wealthy, there are many rentals for less than $1500, but it will be a small house. There are also some older, cheap apartments.

I lived there on Newning Street for 5 years in the early 1990's. You could hear IH35 clearly at night.

S. Congress (soco) has become what I call "being cool on purpose" instead of what it use to be, which was a gritty, funky stretch of cool and unique shops.

Schools are not good. Tax rate is the same as everywhere else in City of Austin. The rate is simply multiplied against a higher value, thus higher taxes.

That said, it would still be my choice of places to live if I needed a close-in, very central location and wanted the older home ambience of the neighborhood. We loved Travis Heights when we lived there. I've always wanted to return, but it's not prudent at this stage in our kid's lives and school. In other words, it would be a great neighborhood for us, but there are much better areas to raise a kid.

When you consider the cost per square foot of the home you purchase in TH compared to what you can find 10 minutes further south past Ben White in 78745 for the same amount of money. $300K gets you junker in Travis Heights. $180K to $250K gets you a bigger, decent 1960s or 1970s home in the northern section of Area 10N, such as behind Central Market in the Western Trails neighborhoods.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: