Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair44 View Post
Actually, racism is probably one of the biggest reasons why parts of Texas, particularly East, are still culturally related to the South. To say Texas is "nowhere near" is flat out denial. There's plenty of history, not going that far back in time, that suggests otherwise.
Really? You think there are as many racist/bigots per capita in Texas as in Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia?

I'm not saying we don't have racist/bigots in Texas, or that no "history" exists. I know about places like Vidor, and its history. James Byrd. Segregation in Austin. Etc.

But you can't seriously think Texas is even in the same league as the Southern slave states with regard to past deeds, can you?

Steve

Old 04-14-2012, 10:20 PM

129 posts, read 227,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
You'll find an interesting phenomenon here. Nearly everyone thinks Austin is overcrowded and too many people are moving here. When asked when they think it got too crowded they will always tell you it was a few years after they got here. Whether this was 5, 10 or 30 years ago it's always the people AFTER them that made it crowded.

Point being, take comments of it being crowded with a grain of salt. Visit and decide for yourself.
A "visit" won't really address his other concerns, (which is why he's asking on City-Data) the OP is also concerned that other people with the same agenda are moving here and possibly not having enough "opportunities". He's on the right track for having that concern and some of us are giving feedback from experience.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:46 PM

308 posts, read 600,536 times
Houses are cheap (cost) and apr rates are still at a all-time low.

USDA financing is available.
Most people come here expecting the next American Dream.

Homes range from 110k -million. Yes this is for new home too!!!

Check out Austin homes from:

KB Homes
Lennar Homes
DR Horton
Taylor Morrison
Gehan Homes
Buffington
Pacesetter
Highland Homes
Ryland Homes

There are soo many new subdivisions popping up don't let no one detour you or anyone coming to Austin!! Its here, its live and we got lots of room for more growth. Heck we got F1 coming here soon!!!!

Also for the more affordable homes, check out these homes and see if they are available in the burbs of : Kyle, Buda, Round Rock, Leander, Hutto and Georgetown.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:14 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
In terms of land, I don't think Austin has too many people in an absolute sense. But it has grown too quickly for its infrastructure to keep up. This makes life difficult some times (lack of mass transit, freeway overcrowding, poor planning of city and local centers, loss of natural areas.) This kind of growth without planning is not unique to Austin. In one sense Austin may be too big; we probably have too many people for the water supply. The city is trying to deal with the water and infrastructure problems, although slowly. From a social perspective, I don't think Austin is too big. People find communities where they are, centered around schools, churches, or neighborhoods. I live in SW Austin, and have very little contact with people who live downtown, but I feel like I still live in a community that supplies all I need and has the feeling of home to me. I realize that my home was built (18 years ago - and not by me) on land that was Texas hill country. I regret that so much of the land has been eaten up by development, but I still live here. I guess we all learn to live with some things that are not ideal. My family had its reasons for moving here, as all families do, and we had to live somewhere. Bottom line: I don't regret it.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:06 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
People move for a variety of reasons, if you are looking at Texas, find out as much as you can about the area you would like to move too, take a trip, spend a few days looking around. I don't think they are too many people moving here, because there are people who move out of Texas too, some find the humidity, heat unbearable, can't find a job they want, others miss family too much or the city they left, etc. Good luck! And welcome to Texas if you decide to make this your destination. They are alot of wonderful people here.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:38 PM

74 posts, read 200,462 times
Austin is my hometown though I no longer live there.
I am telling you now..the growth has gotten OUT OF CONTROL. It has all but ruined the quintessential Austin "vibe" and the infastructure issue is bad enough to affect your life on a daily basis. Its a shame really. Btw..do you like 100 degree heat? How about for 60 days in a row? Its ok because its a balmy 90 degres each day for 30 days on either en of that!

Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM

74 posts, read 200,462 times
Anyone else remember when Onion Creek was practically out in the country?? Now its "South Austin"!
From Buda to northern San Antonio its fastly becoming a giant metroplex that WILL eventually be bugger than DFW. What will they call it? ASA? Austonio?

Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM

326 posts, read 685,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar9918 View Post
Anyone else remember when Onion Creek was practically out in the country?? Now its "South Austin"!
From Buda to northern San Antonio its fastly becoming a giant metroplex that WILL eventually be bugger than DFW. What will they call it? ASA? Austonio?
This is EXACTLY what I think will happen too!! I'm thinking it'll be called ASA...

Once they open up the extension of Toll 130 to Seguin it really will start to look like DFW.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:05 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
This is EXACTLY what I think will happen too!! I'm thinking it'll be called ASA...

Once they open up the extension of Toll 130 to Seguin it really will start to look like DFW.
Won't happen in my lifetime, but Austintonio has a nice ring to it!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar9918 View Post
Austin is my hometown though I no longer live there.
I am telling you now..the growth has gotten OUT OF CONTROL. It has all but ruined the quintessential Austin "vibe" and the infastructure issue is bad enough to affect your life on a daily basis. Its a shame really.
That's what native Austinites were saying in 1970 when the hippies began to take over with the weird stuff and "old Austin" was no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin