Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 PM

709 posts, read 1,401,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
That's what native Austinites were saying in 1970 when the hippies began to take over with the weird stuff and "old Austin" was no more.
Lol, true. God damn 'Dillo destroyed that good Austin "vibe"!!!

It would be great if once each person reached the age of 23 they could just have their own personal pause button on how the city was for them at that age. My parents were in their early 20's back in the 70's and for them that will always be Austin. Hell you probably cut the ribbon at the Scholz opening!

My parents generation of Austin no doubt think my generation destroyed the Austin they left us, as they destroyed the Austin you left them, and I'm sure my kids will destroy the Austin we leave them. At least in our own selfish minds.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,770 times
Man, the Austin forum should have a STICKY where some of y'all can collectively lament the death of the 'real' Austin amongst yourselves.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
For "destroy" see "other humans moved in and took my parking place"

Old 05-03-2012, 11:32 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
Too many people moving to Austin? Not according to the COA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider25 View Post
Hey,

My fiance and I are in our mid 20s and looking for a new adventure. We keep reading/hearing about how great Austin is and we were considering a visit with the view to a move.

My only concern is that it appears that A LOT of people have the same idea and i'm worried that it will be crowded, there won't be so many opportunities, prices will be driven up etc.

Is this a fair concern or is it not too noticeable to any residents reading? (Ideally over a significant period, not someone who just moved last year!)

Many thanks.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
For "destroy" see "other humans moved in and took my parking place"
No kidding.

In 1962, for my 8AM MWF class at UT, I used to drive up and park right by Memorial Stadium on San Jacinto & 21st - no sweat at all.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I agree with the completely.

Although Texas shares historical ties to the traditional southern states, Texas is less southern than Virginia, which is less southern than the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi. Texas' support for the confederacy was hardly consistent or unanimous, since Sam Houston (governor at the time) refused to swear an oath of allegiance to the confederacy.

History aside, I think Texas is simply Texas. None of our neighboring states are much like us. Perhaps Oklahoma is closer to Texas culture than Louisiana, New Mexico or Arkansas.
Sam Houston had his reasons for not wanting to secede (and really only tried to delay the process) and was out voted by a sweeping majority. Texas left the union before Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina and Arkansas

and Texas wrote at the time
"We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable."

Texas went to war not only once but twice to try to hold onto their slaves. they have the same cultural ties to racism and injustice as everywhere else in the country per-emancipation and every other southern state since the civil war. only in recent times due to demographic changes does Texas "feel" different than say Mississippi. But, it doesn't feel that different sometimes

Houston just convicted 3 white men of a hate crime killing a black man in downtown houston. Houston - where most of the diversity in the state is and some people argue the highest level of tolerance

Last edited by testmo; 05-03-2012 at 08:11 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
"Texas" wrote that? Gee, I didn't know that dirt and trees and rock and lakes and hills and coastline and mountains and rivers could write.

Anyone who writes "Texas wrote at the time" needs to take a good long look at their own prejudices. Words are important.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
"Texas" wrote that? Gee, I didn't know that dirt and trees and rock and lakes and hills and coastline and mountains and rivers could write.

Anyone who writes "Texas wrote at the time" needs to take a good long look at their own prejudices. Words are important.
really? Texas as a state, made up and written by its people and representatives, wrote that in the name of their state for why they seceded

the US constitution must not be America or American. it's simply Jefferson's own mumblings

im guessing law suits really confuse you. Lawrence vs. Texas "but Texas is a state! It can't fit into a courthouse to defend itself!"

Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Well so what? As medieval as it was, that was the norm for the southern culture.....and in Africa for that matter.
Slaves were regarded a chattel....property.

The blood of 2/3 of a million young Americans atoned for that evil, IMO.

But it's too bad there are still a few who still hang on to such archaic notions.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Well, given that I used to be a legal assistant, lawsuits don't confuse me all that once. The use of State of Texas in that lawsuit is quite clear. So is your use of it, just not quite in the way you hoped it would be taken.

I also recognize prejudice on EITHER side when I see it. And there's plenty to go around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin