Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Sam Houston had his reasons for not wanting to secede (and really only tried to delay the process) and was out voted by a sweeping majority. Texas left the union before Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina and Arkansas

and Texas wrote at the time
"We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable."

Texas went to war not only once but twice to try to hold onto their slaves. they have the same cultural ties to racism and injustice as everywhere else in the country per-emancipation and every other southern state since the civil war. only in recent times due to demographic changes does Texas "feel" different than say Mississippi. But, it doesn't feel that different sometimes

Houston just convicted 3 white men of a hate crime killing a black man in downtown houston. Houston - where most of the diversity in the state is and some people argue the highest level of tolerance
Do you have a link to this full "writing" written by Texas? What is the name of the document and what official role did it play in matters of the day?

I'm not disputing it, but I am just curious if this is an excerpt from a larger document, and what that document was. In politics, statements and things are often added to larger statements to appease a small minority. Or things are written to support a view that isn't reflective of the majority opinion.

Steve

Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Do you have a link to this full "writing" written by Texas? What is the name of the document and what official role did it play in matters of the day?
He's quoting one paragraph out of twenty six in the Texas Ordinance of Seccession. The same document complains about the failure of the Federal government to hold down Indian raids, but that doesn't fit the "Texas as racist state" meme, doncha' know?

The idea of bigotry being a unique province of the South is laughable. In the Seventies, busses were burned in Boston rather than integrate their schools. Blacks were ghettoized in Hough in Cleveland, the West and South sides in Chcago, Harlem in New York, and Watts in Los Angeles. Whites fled Detroit for Oakland and Macomb counties to the north rather than have their kids attend integrated Wayne county schools.

But those facts don't fit the meme. Interesting to me that the only people obsessed with race today are skinheads and leftists.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I particularly like this paragraph (which, likewise, doesn't support testmo's agenda). The more things change, the more they stay the same (referring to the comment about the "imbecility of the Federal Government). The full document is linked to here, Steve:

By the disloyalty of the Northern States and their citizens and the imbecility of the Federal Government, infamous combinations of incendiaries and outlaws have been permitted in those States and the common territory of Kansas to trample upon the federal laws, to war upon the lives and property of Southern citizens in that territory, and finally, by violence and mob law to usurp the possession of the same as exclusively the property of the Northern States.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Default The Bonnie Blue Flag

As long as the Union was faithful to her trust
Like friends and like brethren, kind were we, and just
But now, when Northern treachery attempts our rights to mar
We hoist on high the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

Hurrah! Hurrah!
For Southern rights, hurrah!
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
That would be the original flag of the Confederacy, based on this. Not the Texas flag. J

Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 PM

30 posts, read 52,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
It seems like this question is sort of nebulous. How many is "too many".

I bolded the above though because I wanted to point out to you that any place you "keep reading/hearing" about being great is probably being read and heard by other people too. Any place that is desireable to live in is crowded. period. Everything in your bolded statement is true for any place that the majority want to live in. There are 320 million people in America. The days of "not crowded, but good job opportunities" is over. You have to choose one or the other, you don't get both.
IMO both of you are incorrect any place with higher population creates more opportunities and demand for services, housing, education etc. If you are few of the first to move in that area you have higher chances of investing in cheaper properties and or starting a business that will be a successful investment as population grows. Look at the states where there is high unemployment vs the ones doing great. You will notice that the states with lower population has in most cases has higher unemployment or very low growth relatively.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:15 PM

431 posts, read 474,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Insurance runs roughly 0.5% of the market value of a house. Less for newer, more for older, and depending on addons and deductable amounts. But 0.5% is a good rough estimate to start with (i.e. $1250/yr on a $250K home)

Steve
we have a home south of austin and our insurance company quoted $1100
on a house valued ( appraised at $150 .00) they have continually raised our rates since we have lived here and we have our cars with them as well .
I went out and got a quote from a little know insurance company of $700 .. so we took that
we had been with the company for 25 years .

Old 05-13-2012, 08:41 PM

431 posts, read 474,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
You'll find an interesting phenomenon here. Nearly everyone thinks Austin is overcrowded and too many people are moving here. When asked when they think it got too crowded they will always tell you it was a few years after they got here. Whether this was 5, 10 or 30 years ago it's always the people AFTER them that made it crowded.

Point being, take comments of it being crowded with a grain of salt. Visit and decide for yourself.
similar point I attended a meeting in the otwem where i used to live it was about have the town had grown and spoilt the rural nature of it
a lot of those complaining had lived and owned land there for years

funny how folks forget had they not sold their land to developers the town would still be a quint old country *village * cant have it both ways

Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 PM

319 posts, read 610,370 times
Ugh yes... and I'm one of them (been planning it for a few years though) :P In the past 2 weeks, there's been virtually no new listings of any size in Northwest Hills, Jester Estates, and Great Hills (areas feeding Murchison/Anderson). The not older than me family friendly and not almost a million dollars stock of homes can almost be counted on one hand now - when was the last time that happened? At the rate the inventory has been selling so far in 2012, there may not be any left by July.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:56 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider25 View Post
Hey,

My fiance and I are in our mid 20s and looking for a new adventure. We keep reading/hearing about how great Austin is and we were considering a visit with the view to a move.

My only concern is that it appears that A LOT of people have the same idea and i'm worried that it will be crowded, there won't be so many opportunities, prices will be driven up etc.

Is this a fair concern or is it not too noticeable to any residents reading? (Ideally over a significant period, not someone who just moved last year!)

Many thanks.
It's about 98% occupied and a GIANT pain with regards to traffic, parking, driving.
There is a lot of hype surrounding the "music scene." I have been here for 20 years, and it's always been fairly populated. We used to call it the "little big town."
Up to you based on WHY you would move here. If you are looking for a place to hang out without much direction, it might work. If you are both fairly serious about your career plans, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin