Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM

554 posts, read 1,061,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
You didn't address my points about the EPA and TCEQ, but trainwreck did. Take a look at his post. Also I'll ask again. Is it possible to find the money by cutting somewhere else, or do our taxes need to continuing growing? I'll add to that. From your perspective when should the expansion of taxation cease, if ever? 60, 70, 80, 90%?
No, you have a point. More taxation shouldn't be the only option. In general, I don't like taxes any more than the average person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
Yes, an automobile is an amazing tool. It improves YOUR quality of life, not those around you. I agree that modern cars are definitely getting cleaner, I'm very happy about that. Most of the offenders are trucks and other larger or old vehicles. Stricter emissions standards and enforcement of them is probably the best answer.

I agree that you shouldn't pedal a bike 26 miles in hills. (the additional food energy is likely to use more energy than a gallon of gasoline to produce and transport to you anyway). Last night I took my electric bike to ACC Pinnacle (for the Oak Hill Y CTRMA meeting), 16 miles away. It took me about the same time as it would in a car, possibly less considering the enormous amount of stopped cars I was to pass. I didn't break any laws either. I didn't break a sweat, just some light exercise because I like to pedal a little.
The point is you don't need an expensive electric car or internal combustion engine for commuting, nor do you need to pedal a bike laboriously (or at all).
There are lots of things that can be done, and they have nothing to do with bicycles.

A big shift to scooters, which many think are fun, could address many environmental issues related to commuting. They are efficient, inexpensive, and don't take up as much space on a road on in a parking lot.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,957 times
Why wouldn't you just raise the tax on gasoline in order to tax car and truck usage? Also, I'd love for some of that money raised to actually go to effective urban transit that people actually had a viable commuting option.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Eh, my brother has not owned a car in over 20 years, probably close to 25 now, and has used the buses as his main transportation for the vast majority of that time. It is viable, people just don't like to have to walk a block or two before and/or after they get off the bus. Or, they don't want to look at a schedule and plan ahead. People want it to be as convenient and flexible as a car, which isn't going to happen.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:37 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,959 times
It might be that politicians in Texas, and even Austin, believe that taxes are for generating revenue for the government, and are not to be used as an inefficient club to change people's behaviors?

Quote:
Cities in Europe put a tax/toll on auto drivers in congested areas to address the traffic and air pollution issue. Why don't American cities do this?

I just got back from dropping a friend off at UT for the Megabus, using my car. It took 40 minutes to go from Cherryood to 21st/Whitis and back. I would estimate my car was idling for 25 minutes. Most of the trip I was inhaling exhaust because I had my windows down.

How people can go day in and day out using a personal automobile in traffic, and not feel inclined to choose a better mode, is beyond me.

I was going to use my tandem electric bike to drop my friend off, but he preferred the car.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
It might be that politicians in Texas, and even Austin, believe that taxes are for generating revenue for the government, and are not to be used as an inefficient club to change people's behaviors?
But . . . but . . . but . . . it's IMPORTANT that the government change people's behavior to be what I want it to be! And that everybody else pay for it for me!

It's funny, but really sad and frightening, too, how pervasive that attitude has become.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 PM

912 posts, read 1,286,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
But . . . but . . . but . . . it's IMPORTANT that the government change people's behavior to be what I want it to be! And that everybody else pay for it for me!

It's funny, but really sad and frightening, too, how pervasive that attitude has become.
There's something to be said for public goods and public bads... air pollution being an example of a public bad. BUT in our current culture, most individuals are contributing to air pollution pretty darn equally in the grand scheme of things, so adding on random taxes and fees isn't going to change much.

I should also point out that the carless can save on their monthly utility bill by opting out of the transportation user fee, so in a sense, there's already a monthly car ownership tax within city limits.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:33 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Quote:
Outside of the gas tax, I pay the same exact taxes as you do. I own a car, so I pay the same registration and taxes on it. The difference is that I don't drive very often at all.

So other than a gas tax, what's the difference between our transportation options which have vastly different effects on the public and environment?

If there is a gas tax that goes to community health care (wait, we don't have that here) or funding to reduce emissions, then case close, I don't have much of an argument!
We most CERTAINLY do have community health care: Central Health with a budget of $117.7 million.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 AM

522 posts, read 657,853 times
The short answer to the originally posted question is that there is no political appetite or will to do such a thing, no matter how you feel about it for or against. No elected official or community opinion leader is going to stand up in the near future and talk about more taxes; just not going to happen.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 AM

251 posts, read 398,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb9152 View Post
The short answer to the originally posted question is that there is no political appetite or will to do such a thing, no matter how you feel about it for or against. No elected official or community opinion leader is going to stand up in the near future and talk about more taxes; just not going to happen.
I wouldn't go that far. The Med School tax is new, and more will follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin