Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 06:12 PM

18 posts, read 28,163 times

Advertisements

I've only lived in two larger cities: Lincoln, NE and Tucson AZ. In both cities it got to the point where I didn't even like to go outside on walks because I was constantly being hit up by panhandlers, bums, or vagrants. The idea of going to a city park and throwing the football around with a friend, out of the question especially in Tucson.
I like to walk to places if they are nearby instead of driving my car and because of this I put myself in these situations.
My question is this: how bad is it in Austin? Can a person go to a city park and actually have a good time without being harassed? How about walking or riding a bicycle without having street people yell stuff at you?

Old 01-01-2014, 06:34 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,782 times
There are panhandlers at some major intersections, but other than that, there are few issues with them outside of downtown. I've never had issues at public parks with panhandlers.

Now, issues with crazy people and sexual predators, that has occurred in the very early morning hours, albeit rarely. Overall, Austin parks are extremely safe.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:24 PM

979 posts, read 2,956,224 times
Panhandler's seem to be at almost every major intersection these days, especially ones with long light cycles.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:50 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,721 times
I'll take a panhandler over the guys peddling fake charities. That really bothers me.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:20 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,041 times
As should be obvious, the effects of any panhandlers is highly dependent on location. If you wanted to live downtown, then yes, you will definitely run into your fair share of panhandlers, esp on the eastern side of Congress. However, if you're in "the burbs", then the number of panhandlers is generally limited to the street corners (usually the medians). Even if you are downtown, you could go to Auditorium Shores/Zilker and easily throw around a football (and much more). You could even go to Republic Square and while you will see some homeless/PH, I've never really had a problem. Woodridge park is a bit more hit or miss, again, plenty of homeless, but the times I've been there, they've never been a problem. In my experience it's the crowd on/around 6th, east of Congress that tends to be the worst.

That said, I've spent a lot of time walking around downtown and with the exception of late Fri/Sat nights, it really isn't all that bad. This is esp. true compared to some other cities (like SF for instance, it's can be like walking through a gauntlet in some places).

Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,779 times
It's bad around 7th and Trinity for obvious reasons.

But honestly, I lived in DC and not one day ever went by where I wasn't approach aggressively multiple times.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:46 PM

404 posts, read 712,399 times
a lot of the guys that hold up signs like "travelin folk" or "all i need is a cheeseburger and a motel" are seasonal vagabond types... they hit a peak when the weather is good.

seems like there's less in winter than summer..

I would say YES Austin has a panhandler problem, because they are on literally every corner of every major intersection within the metro area, more or less. Many of them are young and strong, in nice clothes and shoes etc.

I don't think Austin does enough to enforce a policy that reduces the freeloaders that can work. I think the best way would be to give make them have an 'panhandler ID card' and gather data to determine if they are really down and out or just being lazy boozer/druggies... this city shouldn't be a pit stop on the Bum Tour from NY to CA

Old 01-02-2014, 10:15 PM

997 posts, read 1,313,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alright_alright_alright View Post
I've only lived in two larger cities: Lincoln, NE and Tucson AZ. In both cities it got to the point where I didn't even like to go outside on walks because I was constantly being hit up by panhandlers, bums, or vagrants. The idea of going to a city park and throwing the football around with a friend, out of the question especially in Tucson.
I like to walk to places if they are nearby instead of driving my car and because of this I put myself in these situations.
My question is this: how bad is it in Austin? Can a person go to a city park and actually have a good time without being harassed? How about walking or riding a bicycle without having street people yell stuff at you?
Are you thinking about moving here, is this your main worry?

Too answer your question, it can be somewhat annoying in a few areas but it's not constantly, at least in my experience. Just depends I guess, where and when.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:20 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alright_alright_alright View Post
If you think Tuscon and Lincoln are bad. . .I don't know what to tell you, Austin isn't going to be to your liking.

This is a town that some people are trying to get a statue of this dude put up by the city:

https://www.facebook.com/LeslieStatue

Old 01-03-2014, 08:04 AM

115 posts, read 223,431 times
They are on every damn interaction corner even in the suburbs. Austin is a goldmine for them and the city council loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin