Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 08:11 AM

25 posts, read 78,858 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Im building my first home out in the north pflugerville area in the falconpointe/black hawk area just off of row lane. I understand in this area it is 'deregulated' - but with so many options of electric companies, what's the overall most reputable one for this area? (in terms of rates, service itself [outages], response, customer service, etc).

I have visited links like 'powertochoose' and tried searching for any recent reviews/posts but no luck; the home should be complete by end of August and I believe a week before it closes we have to have service setup.

What are some of the rates that you are experiencing out in pflugerville right now?
(i've seen rate promos for 8.8¢-10.0¢).

Also, if you live in this area, do you always just see what promos are out there towards the end of your contract and sign up with someone else? or do you take their promo offer so they can retain you as a customer...? This is all new to me, so I definitely appreciate the help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:08 AM

25 posts, read 78,858 times
Anyone with any thoughts or past experience on this?

Old 06-24-2013, 12:16 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
I live around your area. In our neighborhood, people use whoever has the best rate at any given time. So, you'll have people using Reliant, then Bounce Energy, etc. We personally still use TXU because we're dummies who just don't want to go through the hassle of starting over. Oncor is the entity responsible for delivering your power, so you can go anywhere and still receive good service. One thing to look out for -- any hidden setup costs and length of contract. A lot of the companies offer teaser rates that expire after three months, then up they go. You can always proceed to go to another provider once that happens, but I'd find it a hassle, personally. Others don't mind and they do save some money, fwiw.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:14 PM

6 posts, read 12,184 times
I'm just down the road from you as well and we use Bounce. I'm at work so don't have paperwork with me, but I think we pay 9.0c; it's under 9.5c for sure though. I don't have any complaints with Bounce, a couple service outages when we first moved in but they were still building so that may have had something to do with it. I haven't renewed yet so not sure what sort of offers they have to stay with them.

Not sure if you've chosen a cable/internet company yet, but we've got SuddenLink and I can't say enough great things about them. AT&T was ambivalent at best when I called for service and when they did finally get to the house they said it would be 2-3 weeks before we'd have connectivity. SuddenLink was out 48 hours later and we were hooked up 49 hours later.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:34 AM

42 posts, read 206,268 times
Bumping this thread to see if anyone else has any recommendations.
It's neat that the power to choose website shows you all the different companies but you have to download a PDF for each one to see the fine print and a lot of them don't disclose the base fee. Base fee for not using tons of electricity! Genius!

Old 02-07-2014, 10:02 AM

58 posts, read 97,461 times
My Dad live East of Pflugerville near Coupland and had TXU for the longest time. He switched to Ambit a year or two ago and it was definitely cheaper.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
I used Powertochoose to negotiate with TXU and we got it down to 9.2c /kwH. You need to read all of the fine print and not get reeled in by the kwH. There's some hidden costs with certain providers. Decided to stick with TXU because they offer the best customer service and overall better experience. They're rated highly on the powertochoose site also.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I lived out that way and just used TXU.
Had them for over 10 years and never had a problem where I wanted to switch.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:13 PM

207 posts, read 859,066 times
I live in Pville also and bounce around to different electric companies every 3-6 months usually. I'm paying the highest I have paid in a while at 7.4 cents because thats as good as I could get 6 months ago.

Its easy to tell how high the "usage below 1000 KwH" fee will be because it tells you the price per KwH for 500, 1000 and 2000 right on the PowerToChoose page.

My contract is almost up so it looks like I will be signing up for a 4.9 cent rate and not worrying about how much I use.

Deregulation is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin