Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:41 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,808 times

Advertisements

Generally the selection they have isnt very good. Then theres the flip side the giant HEB super-stores have too much stuff and a bad layout.
Their prices on some things are pretty good but you have to keep your eyes open because they obviously try to gouge you on some items. Like today I wanted to buy a few ice cube trays. One set of two was $3.99 and another set of colored trays was $3 for 2 for something that costs them about .15c from China. Come on thats just gouging and wrong.
They pay their staff really poorly most of them dont see to be happy to work there and I never see the same employee twice.
The feeling in the stores is kind of depressing I never enjoy shopping there.

I personally dont understand why they're so popular I dont like Walmart either so in this town your only other choice is basically Randall's or WholeFoods whoppeeee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 12:53 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,998,241 times
I don't like HEB or Walmart either but will go to WM before going to HEB because it's closer and less hectic.

However, if there is an HEB put right here in Hutto I'll go all the time instead of WM because it will be closer. I'm not sure I'll see it in my lifetime though

The layout of HEB drives me crazy too. Too much going on in that store. It's like mental shock waves as I walk though. I'm exhausted by the time I leave. Too many bells, whistles and lights.

Have you tried Sprouts?

As I use my car and see everyone else using their car I have to wonder why in the heck can't we live, work, shop and doctor in the community we live in. Why can't everything be within walking distance?? Sorry, just a rant. Not trying to divert.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
I used to really love HEB, but I have noticed some things that started to bother me. They definitely aren't the value store they used to be. The new HEB by my house opened with a huge staff of cashiers and low prices. In the following months, though, that changed. Cashiers were reduced to almost nothing, one of the 2 doors started closing at 10pm then 9pm, the self-checkout started closing early, and they cranked prices up on several items. That was incredibly irritating to me, and definitely sullied HEB's rep in my eyes. I disagree that their employees are unhappy though, they always seem more happy than other stores (except maybe Whole Foods), and I have been told by many that HEB is a very good employer.

Their produce is nothing special, and the meat prices are really bad. Sun Harvest, Newflower and Sprouts are usually better for meat (although they have plenty of overpriced items too). Sprouts also has the best wine deals in town, better even than Specs. Randalls is generally too expensive price wise, worse than HEB on all but a few items. But the quality of the produce and meat is consistently good. Same with Whole Foods and Central Market. Just too expensive.

I just don't trust food from Walmart, I always question where it comes from and what is really in it... HEB I trust more, since most stuff comes from Texas or Mexico (and it's the good stuff from Mexico, not the bad). Target is just an overpriced version of Walmart, so I won't buy food there either.

So, when I have the time I'll usually shop a combo of Sun Harvest (for meat/produce), Sprouts (for sale items and wine), and HEB for everything else.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:06 PM

246 posts, read 857,784 times
I'm a big fan of Sprouts.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:06 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,260,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Generally the selection they have isnt very good. Then theres the flip side the giant HEB super-stores have too much stuff and a bad layout.
Their prices on some things are pretty good but you have to keep your eyes open because they obviously try to gouge you on some items. Like today I wanted to buy a few ice cube trays. One set of two was $3.99 and another set of colored trays was $3 for 2 for something that costs them about .15c from China. Come on thats just gouging and wrong.
They pay their staff really poorly most of them dont see to be happy to work there and I never see the same employee twice.
The feeling in the stores is kind of depressing I never enjoy shopping there.

I personally dont understand why they're so popular I dont like Walmart either so in this town your only other choice is basically Randall's or WholeFoods whoppeeee.
My sentiments towards HEB differs quite drastically from either of the two posts above. I'm not some grocery store affectionado, I prefer to go to one place and I have no major complaints about the HEB that I frequent (braker/183).

As to the layout, I have no problem with it, like many other big box chains they only really have a few basic layouts depending on the general size of the store. For me, when I walk into a Randalls, I'm utterly lost. My point being that I don't think it's the layout as much as it is simply getting used to it. Different stores, different layouts.

My experience with employees is far different than yours. I've been going to this particular HEB for many, many, many years and while there is of course some turnover, I see many employees that I've seen for a long time (as in several years). While I don't have in depth discussions with them about their job satisfaction, they usually seem to be in good spirits and most are friendly.

As for the price gouging, I certainly wouldn't lay any accusations of "gouging" by some estimate on how much I think ice trays can be manufactured for. Compare against other stores, if it's way higher, then purchase them there. Many of those "kitchen items" are there as a convenience and it wouldn't surprise me that they use them to help boost the bottom line.

I do understand what you mean about some of the stores being a bit "depressing". I've been in the HEB on 2222/Burnet and to me it seemed more depressing than some of the newer/larger stores (this was a few years ago, I understand they've updated that store?). But then again, this is the same for any of the other chains (Whole Paycheck aside).

Anyway, not disputing anything you said, it's your opinion and I'm down with that. Just presenting a different view.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:26 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
I've noticed HEBs can vary greatly by neighborhood or area. Some are great, some not as much. I wouldn't categorize them all as the same. The larger and newer ones seem better... and the ones that carry more of the Central Market products are better in my book as well.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:53 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
I love my HEB! I have shopped at one of three HEBs for 20 years! (Hancock, S. Congress, Riverside). They are one of the largest privately held companies in the US. If they sold stock (which they do not) I would buy some. They are one of the few grocery stores that have survived when WM entered their area.

I could write odes, poetry, and epics about my beloved S Congress HEB! Someday, when I disappear from CD, you'll know that I am writing my novel set in that HEB!

The product mix does vary from store to store, maybe try a different one.

Fiesta is cheap but the produce is small in size and the quality only so-so.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:03 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
So this thread was started because the OP thought ice cube trays were too expensive?

ALL grocery stores vary prices widely item by item to try to make money. Ever buy light bulbs as the supermarket? Bad idea.

The supermarket is rarely the best (cheapest) place to buy durable goods (non food items). They don't sell many ice cube trays so the price will be relatively high. They compete day to day on staples - milk, eggs, meat, cereal etc.

I have no quarrel with HEB (Bee Cave). I like not having a frequent shoppers card (like Randalls). The produces is generally good. Their fruit selection is good. Their beer selection is not bad. The beef is just OK, unless you buy it from the butcher. It is a Texas owned business and I like that.

It always amazes me that people complain about the layout of a store. They always put milk and eggs in the back. Everything else is a crap shoot to me whether I like it or not. Each store has a different foot print so they can't be the same. The HEB at the Arboretum is different. But I am used to it and I don't care that is a bit different.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:19 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
I don't like HEB or Walmart either but will go to WM before going to HEB because it's closer and less hectic.

However, if there is an HEB put right here in Hutto I'll go all the time instead of WM because it will be closer. I'm not sure I'll see it in my lifetime though

The layout of HEB drives me crazy too. Too much going on in that store. It's like mental shock waves as I walk though. I'm exhausted by the time I leave. Too many bells, whistles and lights.

Have you tried Sprouts?

As I use my car and see everyone else using their car I have to wonder why in the heck can't we live, work, shop and doctor in the community we live in. Why can't everything be within walking distance?? Sorry, just a rant. Not trying to divert.
I agree I'd prefer a friendly small grocery store I can walk to where it actually is pleasant to shop to a mega-mart even if I had to pay more. Then I'd brave the zoo and go to Costco once a month for bulk items.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
It's sort of hard to say that you don't like HEB, given how many different HEBs there are and how much they vary in layout/offerings. Heck, the two HEBs in Georgetown might as well be different companies, and I shop at each of them depending on what I'm wanting any given week - different offerings for the differing demographics of the shoppers in each particular store mean I can get things at one that I can't get at the other (once you get past the basics).

Now, saying you don't like one particular HEB makes a lot more sense. Though not because of the price of ice cube trays - I suspect that is far, far down on the list of most people in the priorities of what makes a grocery store good for them or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin