Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 11:17 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Well, now...that just makes the options 'up here' TWICE as bad Dang!

Surprised the Pflugerville folks haven't chimed in. Shop carefully and you could get the schools and home and a better commute. I'll step aside now...
Actually Pflugerville would be a good option, especially for your wife's commute. You'd shoot straight down 685, which turns into Dessau/Cameron, which dumps you out at the 183/290 corridor...

You might actually give NE Pflugerville a chance. The school track you'd want is Murchison (or Rowe Lane), Kelly Lane, and Hendrickson. Hendrickson is the weakest link of the three, but it pulls from a large pool of people, so that can drag the scores down a bit. It's still above average, but not as strong as some of the other high schools. The elementaries and the middle have been consistently good for many years, at least 8. That is what is driving up the demand and prices in that area, plus you'd have convenient access to SH 45 tollroad, 130 Toll Road, and a really nice large shopping mall. There is a lot of new construction to choose from if that is your thing. You can still get a good bang for your buck out there and all of the people that I know of who moved there seem to like it. I used to live in NE P-ville for ten years, but I don't like postage stamp sized lots and new construction, so...

Paloma Lake is still a work in progress and still pretty landlocked. The high school I believe is Stony Point which, while improving, isn't the best in that part of RR. Hendrickson is stronger. Elementary (Teravista, Herrington) is good, but middle is so-so. It can fluctuate between very good and very average. Commute is either side roads through the boonies or IH-35. It kind of stinks, actually.

Sendero, probably better schools but the commute also stinks.

Lake Forest and Forest Creek in RR east are good options, featuring homes by custom builders and higher end tract builders like Drees and Highland. They aren't new, but you can find some that are less than ten years old. The elementary and middle schools are consistently good, but again, the high school is similar to Hendrickson. not as strong as mcneil or RR High, but above average. This is due mostly to the fact that its area also includes sections of apartments, which can drag down scores (sorry to say). This doesn't seem to dissuade people from sending their children to Cedar Ridge, however. In my neighborhood, almost all high school aged kids go to Cedar Ridge and the local public schools. My neighborhood wouldn't fit your bill because the houses are "oldies but goodies".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin