Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:06 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

San Antonio has the right idea to address the homeless issue. They built an indoor/outdoor complex with areas for indoor showers yet areas that homeless can sleep in a partially sheltered area and then move on from there.

We need to do something similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:06 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,120 times
Default Austin is a center for many things,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Not sure we can correctly assume a panhandler is homeless...just sayin'
I think it is pretty easy to see that many of the corner regulars live somewhere, they're back day after day. They may not have a nice place to live, but they have a place. What they want is cash, not a meal and not a home, in many cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Reduce benefits and they will move to a town that is more receptive.
It would be just about impossible to reduce benefits to less than zero, which is what many surrounding Texas communities offer the poor, the addicted and the mentally disturbed.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:14 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
The Austin Police Association prez
So not APD.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if there was legal action.
For giving someone a ride?

From the article quoting the lawyer:
Quote:
his client was walking to Austin from Killeen along Interstate 35
So, the man in G'town who gave him a ride in no way changed his destination, just gave him a ride there.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
San Antonio has the right idea to address the homeless issue. They built an indoor/outdoor complex with areas for indoor showers yet areas that homeless can sleep in a partially sheltered area and then move on from there.

Why would they move on and leave such nice accomodations behind?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:50 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Why would they move on and leave such nice accomodations behind?
At least they aren't under the overpasses or along downtown streets...

Old 04-22-2016, 09:24 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,772 times
Move the Salvation Army shelter and the ARCH shelter out of downtown. Stop giving the homeless free bus passes, stop giving them free medical care from Central Health, and stop letting them completely take over the libraries.

I talked with a 62 year-old white male who was eating lunch in the UT Student Union, as many homeless do. He is completely sane and healthy. For the last six years he has lived homeless, sleeping every night along Shoal Creek in a sleeping bag, or at the Salvation Army shelter or ARCH shelter. He gets a free monthly bus pass, free medical care at Brackenridge, free medicine prescriptions, free eye glasses, free dental care, all from Central Health, and $194 a month from the Texas food stamps program (SNAP). Why?

Old 04-22-2016, 10:07 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Move the Salvation Army shelter and the ARCH shelter out of downtown. Stop giving the homeless free bus passes, stop giving them free medical care from Central Health, and stop letting them completely take over the libraries.

I talked with a 62 year-old white male who was eating lunch in the UT Student Union, as many homeless do. He is completely sane and healthy. For the last six years he has lived homeless, sleeping every night along Shoal Creek in a sleeping bag, or at the Salvation Army shelter or ARCH shelter. He gets a free monthly bus pass, free medical care at Brackenridge, free medicine prescriptions, free eye glasses, free dental care, all from Central Health, and $194 a month from the Texas food stamps program (SNAP). Why?
Im not saying we should stop any programs, just if we do, people will move on.

I laugh at the hypocrisy of san francisco liberals. They want to be liberal but they are fed up with the homeless.

Many are frustrated at the lack of affordable housing, but dont want to destroy the "character" of neighborhoods so nothing new or larger can be built.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:50 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

Do some research on Haven. It's a business model, get them in and out. It's made homeless services more barrow because it's all focused in one place. It closed several shelters and agencies. That is not the answer. There are lengthy threads in the SA forum regarding H4H.

When I think homeless in Austin I think of families priced out of their homes due to gentrification and affordability. Yes, single mentally ill people make up a chunk, but if homelessness us really going to be addressed here we need to get the families out of extended stay hotels throughout the city and into apartments that they can afford. It's a very complicated thing.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:49 AM

199 posts, read 176,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
As the title states.. When? I mean its every week on the news about sexual and non sexual assaults happening.. And low and behold a solid majority are being done by Austins homeless population- which by the way seems to stretch to all of Austins boundaries. I noticed this years ago when we arrived here how many there where- and how uncomfortable of a vibe it was walking downtown at times.

Driskill Hotel employee assaulted walking to work | KXAN.com
Homeless people have always been in Austin as far back as I can remember (the 80s). They are a part of what "keeps Austin weird". But, it wouldn't surprise me if the rich transplants kick them to the suburbs some day. Every major city has a homeless population. It's far from unique to the Austin area. To me. it's shocking that they built the Salvation Army in the Downtown area.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Do some research on Haven. It's a business model, get them in and out. It's made homeless services more barrow because it's all focused in one place. It closed several shelters and agencies. That is not the answer. There are lengthy threads in the SA forum regarding H4H.

When I think homeless in Austin I think of families priced out of their homes due to gentrification and affordability. Yes, single mentally ill people make up a chunk, but if homelessness us really going to be addressed here we need to get the families out of extended stay hotels throughout the city and into apartments that they can afford. It's a very complicated thing.
A few decades ago there was a great program for dealing with homeless families and singles. An old apartment complex was set up where the homeless, either families or singles, could live for six months while getting on their feet. Everything to help them do that was provided, from job training to business clothing (I taught a class on word processing, very big at the time, and donated and collected from fellow businesswomen clothing for women to wear to interviews and on the job). The goal was that at the end of six months they would be employed and able to move into housing on their own (assistance in finding affordable housing was given) and someone else would move into their apartment in the program and start working on getting back on their feet. If there were children in the family, they attended school and had something besides a car to return to after school. It was a great program - don't know if it's still going on or if it fell by the wayside, but it's an example of how to help the homeless help themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin