Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 10:12 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
A few decades ago there was a great program for dealing with homeless families and singles. An old apartment complex was set up where the homeless, either families or singles, could live for six months while getting on their feet. Everything to help them do that was provided, from job training to business clothing (I taught a class on word processing, very big at the time, and donated and collected from fellow businesswomen clothing for women to wear to interviews and on the job). The goal was that at the end of six months they would be employed and able to move into housing on their own (assistance in finding affordable housing was given) and someone else would move into their apartment in the program and start working on getting back on their feet. If there were children in the family, they attended school and had something besides a car to return to after school. It was a great program - don't know if it's still going on or if it fell by the wayside, but it's an example of how to help the homeless help themselves.
There is an 18 month program through Foundation Communities that is similiar. This is called "supportive housing." However, there is still a larger need. There is a very long waiting list. I submitted three applications to this program just this week working with the families I work with. There are also restrictions on this program, criminal records, citizenship, income, etc. (which are all their own separate topics...which I know have very strong opinions associated with them). Foundation Communities is the most accessible. There are programs for elderly, disabled and vetrans, but those programs are also full.

While I like the concept of H4H, it does not work and Austin can learn from the mistakes Haven has made. I am still so new to Austin I am unsure what ECHO actually does, but they seem to be the center of the homeless conversation in Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 10:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
There is an 18 month program through Foundation Communities that is similiar. This is called "supportive housing." However, there is still a larger need. There is a very long waiting list. I submitted three applications to this program just this week working with the families I work with. There are also restrictions on this program, criminal records, citizenship, income, etc. (which are all their own separate topics...which I know have very strong opinions associated with them). Foundation Communities is the most accessible. There are programs for elderly, disabled and vetrans, but those programs are also full.

While I like the concept of H4H, it does not work and Austin can learn from the mistakes Haven has made. I am still so new to Austin I am unsure what ECHO actually does, but they seem to be the center of the homeless conversation in Austin.
I loved the comprehensiveness of the program I was involved with - not just a place to stay, but a support system to help you get back on your feet, thinking of things that most of us don't consider, like toiletries, make-up for women, clothing, assistance for the kids with homework. It wasn't just a bandaid (though, yes, the need is much larger than any one program can fill, I know), it was an attempt to address the actual problem rather than the symptom, homelessness.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:45 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I loved the comprehensiveness of the program I was involved with - not just a place to stay, but a support system to help you get back on your feet, thinking of things that most of us don't consider, like toiletries, make-up for women, clothing, assistance for the kids with homework. It wasn't just a bandaid (though, yes, the need is much larger than any one program can fill, I know), it was an attempt to address the actual problem rather than the symptom, homelessness.
I agree. It is a good system if it is supported proably. I have some clients where 6-18 months isn't enough to get them on their feet. I worry about those families. But all in all, the supportive housing model is a good model if the supports are coordinated appropriately. We just need more of it.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:00 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
As the title states.. When? I mean its every week on the news about sexual and non sexual assaults happening.. And low and behold a solid majority are being done by Austins homeless population- which by the way seems to stretch to all of Austins boundaries. I noticed this years ago when we arrived here how many there where- and how uncomfortable of a vibe it was walking downtown at times.

Driskill Hotel employee assaulted walking to work | KXAN.com
You seem rather obsessed with Austin's homeless policy and population for someone who doesn't live in and never has lived in Austin. I figured out why people say Austin is weird.

In no place does the news report say that the accused individual is homeless. There are plenty of people who some assume are homeless who aren't. A surprising number of those panhandling actually have a place to live and always have. There are some of those in central and downtown Austin who have literally been living like that for decades.

The homeless are most of all human beings --- just like you. They simply experience difficulties --- from mental illness and substance abuse to financial devastation --- that you so far have been lucky enough to avoid. If you are so concerned about the "problem," why don't you come into Austin and do some hands-on volunteering to help?

And if anything, this news report points out an issue the Driskill has not handled well. This is the second time in less than two years that one of their employees has been sexually assaulted in that alley coming into work because they're required to use that door.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:14 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed310 View Post
Seems like that might increase the amount of homeless people in the area with the presumption that if I'm homeless elsewhere in the country and I make my way to Austin I will be given a tiny house of my own to live in...
They aren't "given" anything. Perhaps you should read up on the mission and requirements of the Community First! project before you venture an uninformed opinion from over 1000 miles away. http://mlf.org/community-first/

Old 04-24-2016, 10:50 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
You seem rather obsessed with Austin's homeless policy and population for someone who doesn't live in and never has lived in Austin. I figured out why people say Austin is weird.

In no place does the news report say that the accused individual is homeless. There are plenty of people who some assume are homeless who aren't. A surprising number of those panhandling actually have a place to live and always have. There are some of those in central and downtown Austin who have literally been living like that for decades.

The homeless are most of all human beings --- just like you. They simply experience difficulties --- from mental illness and substance abuse to financial devastation --- that you so far have been lucky enough to avoid. If you are so concerned about the "problem," why don't you come into Austin and do some hands-on volunteering to help?

And if anything, this news report points out an issue the Driskill has not handled well. This is the second time in less than two years that one of their employees has been sexually assaulted in that alley coming into work because they're required to use that door.
Another local station is reporting that he was homeless.

"Police said that's where they arrested Jacob, who admitted to the assault and said he was homeless and high on synthetic marijuana and crack."

Early morning attack near Driskill Hotel, suspect in custody | KTBC

Homeless people do have the right to visit and even live in Austin. They have the right to panhandle. The other side is the equation is that social service providers, e.g. Front Steps/ARCH, that receive tax dollars can have stipulations put on those dollars that take into account not only the needs of their clients but also the needs of the non-homeless citizenry. Austin/APD has the right to enforce all of the laws on the books including littering, loitering, public intoxication, jaywalking, etc.

Last edited by verybadgnome; 04-24-2016 at 11:01 PM..

Old 04-25-2016, 08:27 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,473 times
As CptnRn says "Austin is known as a great winter home for the homeless. Temperatures are moderate, shelters are available during rare freezing weather." Not sure I agree with the rest of the things he says.

Yes Austin like so many bigger cities has a homeless problem. It tries to take care of the issue but can't. It moved the homeless shelter downtown and then others criticized that. After all many towns hide their homeless away from the party goers.

I always thought the homeless back in the 80's were a joy to hang out with. Gave one a different perspective on life. But chronic long term homelessness is lousy and many now think our government can''t handle it.

See the wonderful place Mobile Loves and Fishes built for folks.
http://mlf.org/community-first/

Also see this guys work in Texas in general:
Junk Yard to Front Yard: Unique Homes by Dan Phillips | Zillow Porchlight

Old 04-25-2016, 08:34 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,473 times
One thing to consider is our own attitudes toward the homeless and where we get them from, own up to it.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:54 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Just speaking from my personal experience working downtown at 6th and Congress. The homeless people I've encountered have been very aggressive, borderline menacing. 6th street is a line of obvious drug abusers and societal castoffs. Every now and then I have a homeless woman verbally berate me (and other passersby) using crude expletives at the top of her lungs. I'm a New Yorker, I can handle myself. But as a woman who works late hours occasionally, some of these people are downright unnerving. If you keep walking, you subject yourself to someone following you and/or trying to start a confrontation. I feel sorry for homeless families with children and the elderly. I *don't* feel sorry for able bodied young males who think the "Austin hobo lifestyle" (complete with drugs and not taking a bath) is cool and feel indignant that I don't part with my hard earned money.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:12 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Just speaking from my personal experience working downtown at 6th and Congress. The homeless people I've encountered have been very aggressive, borderline menacing. 6th street is a line of obvious drug abusers and societal castoffs. Every now and then I have a homeless woman verbally berate me (and other passersby) using crude expletives at the top of her lungs. I'm a New Yorker, I can handle myself. But as a woman who works late hours occasionally, some of these people are downright unnerving. If you keep walking, you subject yourself to someone following you and/or trying to start a confrontation. I feel sorry for homeless families with children and the elderly. I *don't* feel sorry for able bodied young males who think the "Austin hobo lifestyle" (complete with drugs and not taking a bath) is cool and feel indignant that I don't part with my hard earned money.

This happened to me on a school field trip downtown. A homeless lady came up to my wife and started yelling at her (spittle flying) in front of my kids and about 15 other children. I had to get physically involved (block the woman) and tell her off.

Let's not forget the woman down near city hall who has soiled herself (and never bathed it off) to the extent that one can now smell the stench of urine from 2 blocks away when she is upwind. I had to call 311 on her one time because she was sitting in front of city hall exposing herself to motorists.

The right for people to behave like this is more important than protecting taxpayers.

I takes strength to FIX this problem, not let it fester and say "let's give these poor people a break". Mentally ill or not, the behavior of the homeless is UNLAWFUL, and needs to be treated that way.

Last edited by sojourner77; 04-25-2016 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin