Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 12:13 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,825 times

Advertisements

As the title states.. When? I mean its every week on the news about sexual and non sexual assaults happening.. And low and behold a solid majority are being done by Austins homeless population- which by the way seems to stretch to all of Austins boundaries. I noticed this years ago when we arrived here how many there where- and how uncomfortable of a vibe it was walking downtown at times.

Driskill Hotel employee assaulted walking to work | KXAN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 12:17 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
As the title states.. When? I mean its every week on the news about sexual and non sexual assaults happening.. And low and behold a solid majority are being done by Austins homeless population- which by the way seems to stretch to all of Austins boundaries. I noticed this years ago when we arrived here how many there where- and how uncomfortable of a vibe it was walking downtown at times.

Driskill Hotel employee assaulted walking to work | KXAN.com

Who says the guy is homeless?

Nothing in the story states affirmatively that he is.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:21 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,712 times
Quote:
And low and behold a solid majority are being done by Austins homeless population-
Where's the data backing up this assertion?

Old 04-22-2016, 12:35 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Where's the data backing up this assertion?
Yeah, wondering that, too.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:45 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,423,146 times
I wonder how many sexual assaults could be prevented if the city would actually test the rape kits they have backogged. If they actually get around to testing them, they would have a lot more predators locked up instead of continuing to victimize people.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:13 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,825 times
Re-reading it y'all are right it doesn't say he's homeless but it sure as hell insinuates it. Why would a normal person be begging someone for money- and be out on the streets this early? He was later found on 6th st- wonder why?

Old 04-22-2016, 02:24 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,177 times
Quote:
Re-reading it y'all are right it doesn't say he's homeless but it sure as hell insinuates it. Why would a normal person be begging someone for money- and be out on the streets this early? He was later found on 6th st- wonder why?

and high on crack.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:57 PM

35 posts, read 144,466 times
On a random Tuesday afternoon, I took my 4 year old downtown to ride the train for a few stops. 2 blocks from the downtown station I had to keep my eye out on the fist fight that was happening in front of my parking meter. This was just after the guy smoking crack or meth (same type of pipe) right on the sidewalk. But hey, the dog he had with him was eating out of an organic dog food can. Donated no doubt. That really cracked me up.

Yes I realize the big shelter is right there.

Are the majority of residents here just apathetic about the homeless begging on almost every single intersection? Or is it just "part of the Austin culture"? I know Acevedo was talking about moving the downtown shelter elsewhere and also making it illegal to solicit on intersections. I've nearly hit more than one while they turn their back to moving traffic. Most are harmless, but truly desperate times and drug withdrawal make people do funny things. Should I have to worry about it EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I stop at a major red light?

I had some friends visit from NJ about 5 years ago. They couldn't believe the amount here, just allowed to roam around intersections at will. I had my first unsolicited window washing in more than 15 years just the other day. Do I have to worry about some guy freaking out because I have to roll down my window and say, "Hey buddy! Do you mind not touching the car?" Yes, yes I do. Should I? No, no I shouldn't. I don't have a nice car, but please don't touch my stuff. Am I crazy in thinking this? Or do most people just look ahead, or just "put up with it"?

But hey, I'm sure lots of folks feel really good giving away organic dog food for those homeless pups.

I don't have a solution, but most other major cities got rid of red light begging and window washing a long time ago. Or has that changed?

Old 04-22-2016, 03:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
The City has long known it has a homeless problem. Austin is known as a great winter home for the homeless. Temperatures are moderate, shelters are available during rare freezing weather and there are numerous services available to help the homeless. Some of the homeless intentionally try to get put in county jail for petty crimes during the coldest part of winter because they get free shelter, free food and medical care.

If you arrest all the panhandlers where are we going to put them? They have no money for fines so they would have to be locked up and Austin's jails are already overcrowded. I worked with the Police Dept. about 16 years ago to program and estimate the cost of building a large City jail as the County Jail is frequently overcrowded. Sadly the City did not want that bond issue to compete in a bond election with things that are more popular with the community such as Fire Stations, Libraries and Neighborhood recreation centers, so the bond election never went forward.

Plus the police don't like arresting the homeless because many of them do stink and it ties the patrol officer up for hours when there are more important things for the police to be doing.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:04 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,547,088 times
Not sure we can correctly assume a panhandler is homeless...just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin