Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:25 PM

176 posts, read 350,578 times

Advertisements

For those who think this means downsizing at Whole Foods offices, I would expect quite opposite. If anything, Amazon will expand WF in many new directions and likely hire lots of new people. Seattle's costs, while not as bad as the SF Bay, are far higher than Austin. Look for Amazon to expand office and tech headcount here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 12:52 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You are correct in that my issue is more local vs. suburban cities in the general sense. But it's not just RR, but the areas along the IH 35 corridor including Pflugerville, Georgetown and beyond. Pflugerville has 50,000+ people and increasing daily, GT, 50,000+ people and increasing daily, in addition to RR, which is over 100k+ people and increasing daily. Though to be honest I don't have a dog in this fight because I can easily find organic stuff in my local market. But I do know there are many people locally that clamored for an organic grocer for years before Sprouts came.
You keep referring to Whole Foods as an organic grocer. It's much more than that. Their selection blows every Sprouts store out of the water.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:56 PM

375 posts, read 319,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
You keep referring to Whole Foods as an organic grocer. It's much more than that. Their selection blows every Sprouts store out of the water.
Exactly! I call a WFs shopping trip sensory overload! In a good way!

Old 06-16-2017, 12:58 PM

52 posts, read 45,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Unbelievable. Didn't see this one coming at all. What a revolting devlopment this turned out to be. Losing 2 Austin born and bred Fortune 500 companies with headquarters in Austin in the past 2 ir 3 yrs or so. Whole Foods and Freescale. On the brightside, if there is one, Amazon is an upgrade from Albertson's. Amazon is a better fit in Austin and it's culture than Albertson's.

I wonder if there's any chance of Amazon moving its headquarters to Austin?

Hey. Don't forget about homeaway.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:58 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Meh, whatever it is. It's a purveyor of organic foods as far as I'm concerned. My point still stands that there's a clear demand in the area and the demographic supports a WF store yet there's none. Sprouts, however inadequate it may or may not be, filled that niche and is profiting from it.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:24 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Meh, whatever it is. It's a purveyor of organic foods as far as I'm concerned. My point still stands that there's a clear demand in the area and the demographic supports a WF store yet there's none. Sprouts, however inadequate it may or may not be, filled that niche and is profiting from it.
I just had the same discussion with my husband a few weeks ago when he went to the Gander Mountain store closing sale. I told him the Gander Mountain site would be perfect for a Whole Foods, albeit competition from Target, Walmart and HEB would be right around the corner. My point was that Round Rock is LONG overdue for a Whole Foods, Central Market, Trader Joe's and/or Costco. I am, however, excited about Aldi coming to Pflugerville. It's a no frills store, but the prices can't be beat, and I always appreciate retail options.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:33 PM

483 posts, read 532,554 times
Whole foods employees are gonna love that Amazon work until you drop culture shock, it will be interesting to see how that works out.

As far as the store goes, I remember it was awesome when it first showed up in DC almost 20 years ago, but we were starving for options at that point. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to one here in Austin, Central Market is superior in my opinion.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:19 PM

375 posts, read 319,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
I just had the same discussion with my husband a few weeks ago when he went to the Gander Mountain store closing sale. I told him the Gander Mountain site would be perfect for a Whole Foods, albeit competition from Target, Walmart and HEB would be right around the corner. My point was that Round Rock is LONG overdue for a Whole Foods, Central Market, Trader Joe's and/or Costco. I am, however, excited about Aldi coming to Pflugerville. It's a no frills store, but the prices can't be beat, and I always appreciate retail options.
Good to hear about an Aldi's making it down here. I've shopped there many times when I'm up in Pa. Awesone prices on groceries. Nice organic line/selection, too. Should I be bummed there won't be one over here in Cedar Park? :-P

Old 06-16-2017, 02:21 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,575 times
Default Not likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
...I wonder if there's any chance of Amazon moving its headquarters to Austin?
I picture the chance of that as on par with a snowman standing on the Capitol grounds during the month of August. Seriously, what would they like best about Austin: the heat, the lack of wild country such as you'll find near Seattle, or maybe they'd like the state's politics: watching their new headquarters town getting beat like a red-headed stepchild by our very small governor and his identity challenged half wit lieutenant who's afraid to use the bathroom?
At some point you have to realize that Austin isn't "all that."

Old 06-16-2017, 02:23 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by df175 View Post
For those who think this means downsizing at Whole Foods offices, I would expect quite opposite. If anything, Amazon will expand WF in many new directions and likely hire lots of new people. Seattle's costs, while not as bad as the SF Bay, are far higher than Austin. Look for Amazon to expand office and tech headcount here.
I agree. I think WF was headed towards layoffs before this.

And I agree with the other who questioned store locations. I never understood why the didn't plant one in Westlake early on. Talk about a demand and optimal demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin