Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 09:15 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times

Advertisements

what part of town is best for the cultural creatives--artists, intellectuals, musicians, interracials, jewish, gay, non conformist?

any websites to look at to tell us about Austin and places to live, restaurants, attractions, schools, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 09:48 AM

944 posts, read 3,954,009 times
Jack? You again? Hope you're not sick of me yet!

I think the areas just east and south of downtown are the best for the specific types you ask about.

You've described yourself as conservative in other threads. You interest me with your ability to constantly challenge my attempts to put a label on you! I think you'd like Austin just for that fact alone. I've never lived in a place with such a high concentration of people who don't fit into boxes. You can express your conservative opinions in a leftist coffeehouse and you won't feel like everyone wants to kill you. And you can say something liberal in a conservative place and you'll probably be just as safe.

Austin's other slogan (aside from "Live Music Capital of The World") is "Austin: A City of Ideas." I think this is accurate. Both are accurate. We have lots of music and lots of creative thinkers.

Did anyone tell you about the hot summers yet? (just kidding, it's about half of what people talk about!!!!)

Old 12-11-2006, 09:56 AM

no need to tell me about the Hot summers mate. I was raised in Texas. I know all about them and i like hot and cold weather.

I try and live out my views and a true conservative is not what is often described in the media. While I am very conservative socially, I am also very tolerant of others choices. I can only live for me, and I can vote my views but I do not attack others for thier views unless it threatens the safety and security of a community and country. I believe in Liberty and liberals have the right to liberty and freedom just as I do.

I live now in the Northeast so I am a Conservative in a sea of liberals- I live in a downtown of a big city with all types of people so I am used to the differences and like it that way-- i am more A la David Brooks and William F Buckley--even if my politic views are more Trent Lott and Strom Thurmond.

So i think Austin would be nice.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:02 AM

Some links (not all will survive moderators since some might be considered "competition" to this site, also note that I've added spaces which you'll have to remove):

http :// austinforum.8.forumer. com/
--- see the city and find out more

http :// austin.tribe. net/local --- social networking site that I never use!

http :// austin.craigslist. org/vol/ --- perusing the non-profits looking for volunteers can help you see which orgs might actually hire someone and what type of org proliferates here

www .downtownaustin. org/locallinks. html --- limited overview of downtown with some good links and pics

www .main. org/services. php --- extensive listing of social services and community organizations, which you asked about in another thread

www .progressiveaustin. org/orgs. htm
--- just the way it looks, this is an extensive listing of progressive organizations, maybe not your politics but a few of them might be right for you and their websites might contain more relevant info

I could go on and on, but you know how to use Google as well as I do

Old 12-11-2006, 12:33 PM

164 posts, read 727,485 times
I'd agree on east and south of downtown, but be careful. I was on SoCo the other day running an errand, and the number of luxury vehicles was astounding. I'm sure there are still the Austinites of yore around there, but so many people in that area now are trendy posers. If it were me, I'd move a little bit west to the South First side, where the newbies are probably scared to go.

But I did get a good laugh at the black Mercedes convertible with the "Keep Austin Weird" bumper sticker.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingal View Post
But I did get a good laugh at the black Mercedes convertible with the "Keep Austin Weird" bumper sticker.
You mean the Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac?

Yeah, south Austin is WAY more than Travis Heights and SoCo. SoFi, SoLa, South of Oltorf, there's a LOT of funk happening and it's not gonna disappear overnight. Endangered? Maybe. But there are thousands of people who will stand up for Austin Weird. And if some of them have money and drive a black Mercedes, so be it. As long as they're sincere, we don't discriminate on any basis, right?

Old 12-26-2006, 05:40 PM

37 posts, read 161,226 times
hey...whats wrong with a black mercedes with a keep austin weird sticker? That IS what makes Austin different. It is the only placed I have ever lived where you are not labled by your pocketbook size, creed, color, etc. I love it.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:42 PM

164 posts, read 727,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanikaW View Post
hey...whats wrong with a black mercedes with a keep austin weird sticker? That IS what makes Austin different. It is the only placed I have ever lived where you are not labled by your pocketbook size, creed, color, etc. I love it.
You'd have to have been here at least 15 years ago to get the humor.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:37 PM

So, what are the areas again in Dwntown Austin that are safe for cultural creatives? Interracial families, gays, foreigners, lefties, righties who shop at Whole Foods, etc around the University, Art districts??

I live in the Art and Theatre district of downtown Philadelphia where, even though I am Right wing Conservative Christian, I love being around diverse groups of people with different views than myself and love to have real community of people interested in Art, politics, books, culture.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:17 AM

C-jack, I think you'd find the entire area surrounding downtown Austin to be creative and safe for every variety of weirdo. If you want some boundary lines and you have access to a map of Austin, try to stay east of Lake Austin, south and west of 183 (AKA Research Blvd. AKA Ed Bluestein Blvd.), and north of William Cannon. But there are plenty of exceptions to this rule!

When are you going to make that bold move and just come explore the place???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin