Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 09:58 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times

Advertisements

i think that different areas of town will have different concentrations of mosquitoes. The west side is very rocky, in the summer when it hasnt rained for a month, there are no mosquitoes. East side clay maybe holds more moisture.

I can sleep on our deck almost all year round without getting bitten and Im always the first to get bitten during the rainy season. Even during mosquito season, i mainly get bitten around dusk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 02:16 PM

52 posts, read 51,451 times
I just reached 5 years in Austin and I haven't found mosquitoes to be much of a problem. There have been times during the summer where it would get really hot, rain very hard leading to standing water, and then get hot again and the mosquitoes would be horrible for 2-3 weeks afterwards but overall I've found them less of a nuisance then Illinois/Wisconsin. I have no creeks or streams near the house though.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:02 AM

949 posts, read 572,763 times
Mosquitoes will be plentiful anywhere there is standing water. It does not have to rain for standing water to accumulate. There is plenty of water leakage for them to prosper. Even if you are determined to rid them from your property your neighbors may not be so enthusiastic about the problem and the issue persists.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:53 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm by no means a "snowflake" and you must live in la la land if you think that the Austin doesn't have a mosquito problem. .

It depends on where you live. I'm west of Austin in the hill country and have never been bit by a mosquito at my house. We've been here for 15 years.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:09 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It depends on where you live. I'm west of Austin in the hill country and have never been bit by a mosquito at my house. We've been here for 15 years.
I'm thinking that it is a function of if you are in the karst section of town (Hill Country) where limestone absorbs water or in the clay soil section of town (Round Rock, Pflugerville, etc) where the soil prevents water penetration and so there are areas with standing water.

The experiences between the two parts of town appears to be vastly different so I'm thinking that's the case. Now I'm so glad I'm in the karst area, no need to worry about mosquitoes!

Old 01-13-2020, 03:12 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy981 View Post
Whats living in austin tx like pros and cons or is it over hyped
I grew up and have lived in Austin since 1969... Boy have I see it change! I remember 220,000 population in the 70's and some high paid idiot designing and building the I-35 express lanes off the right hand slow lanes.
I have see our city council spend more on beautification, than transportation and infrastructure. Catering to the ultra rich, with kickbacks to council members.
It is what it is now. OVER PRICED!
Use to be laid back in the days of the Armadillo World Headquarters on Barton Springs Rd., Now, people are so uptight, stuck up and prude. You'd think 1/2 of California moved here.......

Old 01-13-2020, 03:37 PM

577 posts, read 457,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I grew up and have lived in Austin since 1969... Boy have I see it change! I remember 220,000 population in the 70's and some high paid idiot designing and building the I-35 express lanes off the right hand slow lanes.
I have see our city council spend more on beautification, than transportation and infrastructure. Catering to the ultra rich, with kickbacks to council members.
It is what it is now. OVER PRICED!
Use to be laid back in the days of the Armadillo World Headquarters on Barton Springs Rd., Now, people are so uptight, stuck up and prude. You'd think 1/2 of California moved here.......
I think it's a decent city, it's just lost what made it unique and special. Now it's basically anytown, USA, which isn't a bad thing, but for people who liked the way things used to be, I can understand why they would be disappointed.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:13 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If you believe Austin has a mosquito problem you are a snowflake. I camped out in the swamps in Louisiana as part of Scouts. One time it was a giant thunderstorm and we couldn't set our tents up. We had to setup our sleeping bags on top of tables under a shelter as the concrete floor of the open air pavilion was flooded. So imagine 50 tables all filled with sleeping bags. It was cool so we were in the sleeping bags but our faces were out. The next day our faces were covered in mosquito bites. Another Troop asked one of our guys "What happened to your face?" it was so bad.

So there can be no complaining of mosquitoes here. They are a minor nuisance but nothing will ever be as bad as what I experienced.
I clicked through to page 8 hoping that you guys weren't still debating mosquitos. No such luck.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:24 PM

1,185 posts, read 750,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
I clicked through to page 8 hoping that you guys weren't still debating mosquitos. No such luck.
We could be debating woke politics. So GFYS.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:39 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
I think it's a decent city, it's just lost what made it unique and special. Now it's basically anytown, USA, which isn't a bad thing, but for people who liked the way things used to be, I can understand why they would be disappointed.
You’ve just become a troll and any suggestion of trying to learn about Austin is long gone. Do us all a favor and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin