Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 09:35 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times

Advertisements

I dunno who has internet and who doesn't, but I know they are sending out buses set up as mobile wifi centers. The apartments down the street have on parked in the parking lot mon-fri all day, more or less. They were doing surveys of who had or didn't have access to try and get access for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 09:45 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I dunno who has internet and who doesn't, but I know they are sending out buses set up as mobile wifi centers. The apartments down the street have on parked in the parking lot mon-fri all day, more or less. They were doing surveys of who had or didn't have access to try and get access for everyone.
And how many people are sitting in their cars using the internet? How helpful is that for a family that doesn't have a car? I'm not arguing or saying that it's the best/worst/only response. No one knows right now. AISD is trying. They really are. But, aside from health issues, when this gets to a manageable point and we start evaluating the response and the things we, as a society has noticed, inequity and access to technology will be one of them.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
And how many people are sitting in their cars using the internet? How helpful is that for a family that doesn't have a car? I'm not arguing or saying that it's the best/worst/only response. No one knows right now. AISD is trying. They really are. But, aside from health issues, when this gets to a manageable point and we start evaluating the response and the things we, as a society has noticed, inequity and access to technology will be one of them.
The wifi covers the entire apartment complex. My understanding is that they are positioning the buses (started with 110 buses, I understand there are a few more now) wherever there is an identified need for internet. I don't know what percent of kids w/o internet are covered, but it probably takes a good bite out of it. 92% of Austin has internet and a somewhat outdated survey I saw identified retirees as one of the largest groups w/o internet.

While it won't work for Zoom meetings, mobile phone access will allow for a lot of connectivity. Will it get everyone? No, but it may be a small enough number to be dealt with.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:55 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The wifi covers the entire apartment complex. My understanding is that they are positioning the buses (started with 110 buses, I understand there are a few more now) wherever there is an identified need for internet. I don't know what percent of kids w/o internet are covered, but it probably takes a good bite out of it. 92% of Austin has internet and a somewhat outdated survey I saw identified retirees as one of the largest groups w/o internet.

While it won't work for Zoom meetings, mobile phone access will allow for a lot of connectivity. Will it get everyone? No, but it may be a small enough number to be dealt with.
It's just not the best model. I speak to parents daily ho say they don't have internet access.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:47 AM

It may not be 'good', but it still may be the 'best' under the current situation.

Many places are starting to get more free access, although obviously not all:
https://www.statesman.com/business/2...ings-in-austin

As an aside, the city (and other cities) were 'shot down' when they were proposing city-wide wifi (I forget the proper name) due to competition issues. Sure would be nice to have about now, though.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:58 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
I have two kids in LISD, and I think they'll open in the fall. Heck, the governor has said the school districts can open for summer school on June 1st. I have mixed feelings about it. I think cases will definitely go up, but we can't do this forever. There is not going to be a vaccine anytime soon. They may hope, but it's just not realistic. At some point, we're going to have to just bite the bullet and start going back to life before COVID. We can take precautions, but we can't stay shut down.

Also, as a former educator, I can tell you that the vast majority of kids aren't going to fall that far behind because they've missed what amounts to about 2 months of school. However, if they miss a year, it's going to cause issues.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:53 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I have two kids in LISD, and I think they'll open in the fall. Heck, the governor has said the school districts can open for summer school on June 1st. I have mixed feelings about it. I think cases will definitely go up, but we can't do this forever. There is not going to be a vaccine anytime soon. They may hope, but it's just not realistic. At some point, we're going to have to just bite the bullet and start going back to life before COVID. We can take precautions, but we can't stay shut down.

Also, as a former educator, I can tell you that the vast majority of kids aren't going to fall that far behind because they've missed what amounts to about 2 months of school. However, if they miss a year, it's going to cause issues.
My niece and nephew (10 and 12) have surprisingly taken extremely well to distance learning by PC. They both say the lack of distraction is a huge part of it. They’ve both had regular access to their teachers (DSISD) and have settled into great patterns. My sis-in-law has already been told to work from home for the rest of the year, and she’s thinking of just keeping the kids at home with her. They are thriving despite all circumstances and enjoying their close family time.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:11 PM

16 posts, read 11,850 times
Here's another story to add more confusion:
AISD considers only allowing 25% of students into school in the fall

Old 05-26-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanesmith View Post
Yeah, I heard about that last week. I suppose on some level it makes sense. On the other hand, the explosion it will cause will be epic .

Old 05-27-2020, 04:08 PM

21 posts, read 45,640 times
Have to imagine whatever plan AISD proposes it will involve staggered attendance so proper social distancing may be attempted on campuses. The KXAN link showing the proposed 25% of kids having physical access to teachers during the year is making home schooling look more probable for us each day. If 75% of students will be pushed into at home online learning than you have consider if AISD will be able to offer a better 100% online curriculum vs. the online home school programs that have already been doing it for years. I definitely feel for parents unable to "work at home" and need the school day to make their jobs possible. Any type of staggered attendance will be a challenge for them. Perhaps that needs to be considered when selecting the group of students allowed to physically attend next year? No one size fits all solution to this problem - that's for certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin