Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2020, 08:26 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,199,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
All good points. All over the country people are starting to vote with their feet.

In cities where 'defunding the police' is happening (like Austin), people are moving outward. So are the police officers.
Unfortunately this is true. I see more people moving out of Austin and they say it’s because of the changes in Austin regarding policing .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 08:56 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
Unfortunately this is true. I see more people moving out of Austin and they say it’s because of the changes in Austin regarding policing .
Unfortunately? I think most of us here would welcome some people leaving, or at least fewer moving here.

If it were true, that would be great news. But I suspect you are wrong and we’re still stuck with tons of people moving here.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:41 AM

30 posts, read 19,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I haven’t seen a sheriff’s vehicle on my street in years.

Really? I saw a TCSO sitting in his vehicle chatting with my next door neighbor the other day. They are all over western Travis County (thank god).

Old 08-17-2020, 10:47 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobidge View Post
Really? I saw a TCSO sitting in his vehicle chatting with my next door neighbor the other day. They are all over western Travis County (thank god).
I’m in Brushy Creek. Used to see a deputy drive thru once in a while before the turn of the century, but not in the past decade.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:52 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
So, as far as I can tell, this isn't really defunding police, it is reorganizing so that some operations no longer report to the APD chief, but to some (as yet unnamed) alternate boss?. The amount of money spent on the same services has essentially remained unchanged? Basically, a re-org?
The forensics lab definitely needs to be run by someone else besides APD. Under Art Acevedo’s incompetent watch the lab built up a massive backlog of thousands of rape kit evidence.
Why Houston hired that disaster, I have no idea.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:22 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
I haven’t seen a sheriff’s vehicle on my street in years.
There have been the occasional car burglaries, but that’s about it around here in Brushy Creek.
Almost forgot, a couple of years ago there was a report of a perv trying to pick up a kid in the neighborhood, and last year a creepy dude from a halfway house was walking around Into people’s yards & houses.

Pretty quiet for a community of about 20,000 residents.

Keeping my fingers crossed though.
Neither have I (fingers crossed) really and I've lived here for over five years. The only time we've seen cop action was due to a suspect fleeing (from Pflugerville) and abandoning his car in our neighborhood. That was a tense situation. Our neighborhood FB page and Nextdoor were lit up. That's one thing I like about this neighborhood - everyone is watching. Just because you don't see people about doesn't mean peopel aren't aware. IMHO, neighborhood awareness and communication is very important and cops just don't have the resources to just hang around a neighborhood if they don't have to.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
The forensics lab definitely needs to be run by someone else besides APD. Under Art Acevedo’s incompetent watch the lab built up a massive backlog of thousands of rape kit evidence.
Why Houston hired that disaster, I have no idea.
Art Acevedo is a virtue-signalling douchebag.

Former police chief Art Acevedo says Austin ‘radicals’ responsible for unrest in Houston:
https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...est-in-houston

Which turned out to be complete bull****

New records show violent Houston protesters were not from Austin, as HPD Chief Acevedo claimed:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...evedo-claimed/

Where is the apology you owe us, Art?

Old 08-17-2020, 12:43 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
This sounds like something I would have said 10 or 20 years ago. I've learned a lot since then. I'm not saying you are "wrong" to "feel" as you do. But you are in fact choosing to believe a version of things that fit how you'd like to world to operate.

Imagine you had to participate in a debate and, in earnest, argue the opposite of what you believe. Thus you begin to research and look for evidence to use in your attempt to persuade others. What I'm saying is that the evidence is vast, deep and compelling. If you choose not to look for fear of what you may see, that's you're right.
Where is the clapping hands emoji when I need it. THANK you, Steve. You did the research and decided to "show up." I appreciate this.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:59 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,199,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Unfortunately? I think most of us here would welcome some people leaving, or at least fewer moving here.

If it were true, that would be great news. But I suspect you are wrong and we’re still stuck with tons of people moving here.
People moving from Austin to suburbs. That’s what I meant. People moving from other states to Austin is still happening at a great rate. I think it’s sad people would leave Austin because of increasing crime, police being defunded. Austin is beautiful and I hope it turns around.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
People moving from Austin to suburbs. That’s what I meant. People moving from other states to Austin is still happening at a great rate. I think it’s sad people would leave Austin because of increasing crime, police being defunded. Austin is beautiful and I hope it turns around.
I really hope Abbott steps in and provides state troopers, even if it's only for the Lege.

Yes, people will move to Austin from ****holes elsewhere in the country and consider it an upgrade, but that doesn't mean that Austin won't experience a perceptible decline within the city limits in the near-to-mid future.

Update:

In a news conference on Tuesday, Gov. Greg Abbott expressed his disapproval for the City of Austin’s decision to transition funding out of Austin Police Department — and announced a proposal stating that any Texas cities that defund their police from now on will have their ability to increase property taxes frozen.

Yes, thank you Governor Abbott!!! I hope it sails though the Repub held, Lege.

Austin Councilman Casar, take that and shove it you-know-where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin