Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 04:50 PM

152 posts, read 850,002 times

Advertisements

My new office will be in the Arboretum area. Any suggestions on which subdivision or area to look for around this area? Looking for homes built at least in 2000, approximately 2,500 sf. and the typical but needed requirements, good school, neighborhood and facilities.

Previously we were looking at Cedar Park and although we like the area, it seemed to be quite far from the office (40 minutes rush hour drive). We're still considering it but wanted to look for other options.

Any suggestions are welcome. Also would it be better to buy within the next 3 months or wait until next spring/summer? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 05:51 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
What is your price range? That is key.

NW Hills, Highland Hills, Westover Hills, and Great Hills are all close by. Most are of an older vintage than 2000 -- but excellent original construction and generally well-maintained and updated. Great schools (Hill and Doss Elementary, Murchison Middle and Anderson High in AISD). But you need about 400K for that area. There are other areas nearby at a lower price point, and you can get Round Rock schools if you prefer.

If you are buying (and not selling first), I'd buy now. Lots of choices and you can get a good price and interest rates are still low. Selling might be better in the spring but who knows what the interest rates will be. If you have to sell and then buy, I might wait.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:34 AM

Wow, definitely out of our price range. We're looking at mid to low 200. I guess we better concentrate around Cedar Park. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:07 PM

485 posts, read 1,958,702 times
We live in the arboretum area in your price range, but ours is a 1970's 1650 sf house. If you want size and newer age, you're going to have to go further out to Cedar Park or Round Rock. You're onto the right path though.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:37 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,669 times
I think there are areas in Cedar Park that wouldn't be a 40 minute drive with traffic. Before 183 was finished, or the tollway or Parmer were built, I had to go all the way through Cedar Park from Leander down to that area for my kids' dr's appts. Back then it took about 40 minutes if it was rush hour and 25 if it wasn't. Now its only 15 from Leander.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
I think there are areas in Cedar Park that wouldn't be a 40 minute drive with traffic. Before 183 was finished, or the tollway or Parmer were built, I had to go all the way through Cedar Park from Leander down to that area for my kids' dr's appts. Back then it took about 40 minutes if it was rush hour and 25 if it wasn't. Now its only 15 from Leander.
I assume you meant 15 minutes non rush hour traffic. Would 25 min. be more reasonable for rush hour traffic then? We're talking from popular areas around Cedar Park like Ranch at Brushy Creek, Terravista or Avery Ranch.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:08 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmBee View Post
My new office will be in the Arboretum area. Any suggestions on which subdivision or area to look for around this area? Looking for homes built at least in 2000, approximately 2,500 sf. and the typical but needed requirements, good school, neighborhood and facilities.

Previously we were looking at Cedar Park and although we like the area, it seemed to be quite far from the office (40 minutes rush hour drive). We're still considering it but wanted to look for other options.

Any suggestions are welcome. Also would it be better to buy within the next 3 months or wait until next spring/summer? Thanks in advance.
Might want to check out my neighborhood of Canyon Creek. Homes from 250k - 500K. Much closer to the Arboretum than CP. It might be out of your price range...but maybe you can find a motivated seller.

Schools (the ES & HS) are off the chart good. CC is "built out", but most homes were built between 95 & 05.

I think you'll have ALOT more of a selection (in all neighborhoods) in the Spring...which might give you a chance to get a "feel" for all the areas you're considering over the next 4-6 mos.

Good luck in your search.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Might want to check out my neighborhood of Canyon Creek. Homes from 250k - 500K. Much closer to the Arboretum than CP. It might be out of your price range...but maybe you can find a motivated seller.

Schools (the ES & HS) are off the chart good. CC is "built out", but most homes were built between 95 & 05.

I think you'll have ALOT more of a selection (in all neighborhoods) in the Spring...which might give you a chance to get a "feel" for all the areas you're considering over the next 4-6 mos.

Good luck in your search.
Good suggestion. I'll definitely check it out. Like you said, we're really hoping to find better selection and more motivated seller next Spring. Btw if you don't mind me asking, what's the property tax in CC? Feel free to PM me. Thx.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:39 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Wow, definitely out of our price range. We're looking at mid to low 200. I guess we better concentrate around Cedar Park. Thanks for the info.
You can get houses for that price along oak knoll and back in that area. The bonus is that some of the area is in the RRISD.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:49 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Good suggestion. I'll definitely check it out. Like you said, we're really hoping to find better selection and more motivated seller next Spring. Btw if you don't mind me asking, what's the property tax in CC? Feel free to PM me. Thx.
I'll post here because homes that are located in Austin (& Travis Co.) & are also feeding into RRISD schools, have TWO different taxing entities & folks should know this. (Otherwise they'll look at the Travis Co. Apraisal District & think the taxes are 1/2 of what they really are.)

RRISD (billed thru Williamson Co.) allows a 15K homeowners exemption. The tax rate is 1.324

Austin / Travis Co. etc. is a collective .99 rate (but with a 20% exemption)

We also have a MUD (with no exemption...collected by Travis Co.) with a .27 rate.

Our total taxes (to both taxing entities) in '07 was $7750 (on a 320K value).

I bet i made that clear (as mud).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin