Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:21 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how much our bills will go up? If we just simply use the internet to access email and check websites, is it really that big of a price difference? I want to switch to ATT but found out they will be doing it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Yes. The best bundle is to have all 3 services together (phone/cable/internet), and lock it price wise in for 2-years.

It sucks...but everyone else is no better.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:33 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Does anyone know how much our bills will go up? If we just simply use the internet to access email and check websites, is it really that big of a price difference? I want to switch to ATT but found out they will be doing it as well.
I hate to say it, but this will be a price increase for many tech savvy Austinite's, or at least those still with Time Warner. The basic tier quoted in the Statesman is 40GB per month. If you watch Hulu, or do a lot of surfing, and downloading etc, it is possible to go over that. For AT&T, their "test" markets are at least getting 150GB per month of download traffic. I really hate Time Warner, and their position in the market. I just hope my neighborhood is "wired" with FIOS, so I can say Astla La Vista TW!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:01 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
I simply can not express how much I hate Time Warner. We have Road Runner, but that's only because my husband's company pays for it. The service is horrible and goes out all the time and their customer service is a nightmare. I have been on hold for over an hour more than once before I ever even talked to a human being.

And before we had satellite, their TV service was just as bad.

And even though it's free for us, I have actually considered switching service and paying for it just to not have to deal with them anymore.

Hopefully this change will get my husband's company to switch.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,208 times
Is this change a recent announcement? I just signed up for RR Basic from TWC for $34.99/montth -- I hope that doesn't go up!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,814 times
40GB is an extremely low cap. ATT is "testing" a 150GB cap in another market. There will be a significant lag though before ATT tries to expand it. Anyone who has Time Warner should consider as a matter of principle moving to U-Verse, ATT DSL, or Grande if they can, when these caps go into effect in June. If TW gets bit enough they may retrench before the others go forward.

All these companies have an inherent conflict of interest: they hate Internet video and they want to charge you $1 basically for every movie or TV show you download and watch on your computer. They want to collect a passive royalty on YouTube and on Internet gaming. It's corporate abuse at one of its worst. If they were truly targetting the top 1%-2% of users that might be tolerable, but they clearly aren't.

These quasi monpolies will ony be stopped from exploiting their incumbent positions if enough people call to complain, change companies when possible, and otherwise bad mouth them.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 PM

322 posts, read 748,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I simply can not express how much I hate Time Warner. We have Road Runner, but that's only because my husband's company pays for it. The service is horrible and goes out all the time and their customer service is a nightmare. I have been on hold for over an hour more than once before I ever even talked to a human being.

And before we had satellite, their TV service was just as bad.

And even though it's free for us, I have actually considered switching service and paying for it just to not have to deal with them anymore.

Hopefully this change will get my husband's company to switch.

If your husband's company has a commercial account, they wont be on any bandwidth tiers. This price switch only applies to residential accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
If you dont use any high data services such as itunes, netflix, hulu, BitTorrent, you probably wont see much difference in your bill.

If I was a TWC customer, I would be canceling my service. The real reason behind all this is to compete with internet movie and tv services. They would rather you use their pay-per-view movie services and on-demand than get it for "free" over the internet.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:35 AM

362 posts, read 1,044,650 times
This is absolute crap. It really does not take much to surpass 40gb of used bandwidth in a month these days. I feel like I've been catapaulted back to 2000, when 40gb was a slightly more substantial. Everyone needs to write TWC and let them know that they disagree with this new pricing strategy.

Stop TWC - More Info Coming Soon! Please Check Back!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 AM

351 posts, read 1,431,345 times
How about TW taking the bandwidth of the 98% of the channels I don't watch and put it towards my internet bandwidth?

Please FIOS, hurry up!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:46 AM

362 posts, read 1,044,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
How about TW taking the bandwidth of the 98% of the channels I don't watch and put it towards my internet bandwidth?

Please FIOS, hurry up!
This is something that I really don't understand. They run so much garbage over that line that eats up a ton of 'bandwidth', but they're not charging those people watching VOD more...

Imagine being charged a dollar a mile for every mile over 300 that you drive in a month.. paying an extra 50 cents a gallon if you're one of the more frequent drivers. No one would tolerate that, nor should they tolerate this sad attempt at limiting entertainment options to the home. Pathetic, Time Warner.. just pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin