Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times

Advertisements

What other cities are you considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 PM

76 posts, read 424,084 times
We may have outgrown our infrastructure, and I35 can scare the tar out of you sometimes (hello 38th St. lower deck entrance ramp), but folks from other metropolitan areas will shake their heads at you and give you a tsk-tsk if you complain about your Round Rock to downtown commute. I'll take Austin traffic any day over Dallas or Houston -- or almost any other big-ish city.

And I'd venture to say we're at least a tad more laid back than other places. At the very least, we'll give you a friendly little honk before we tell you that you're #1.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 PM

22 posts, read 81,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliefight View Post
A real zoo, amusement park, the beach, and water parks are all things that I enjoy through out the summer. I didn't get a chance to visit the lake, but I'm sure it fills some of those summer entertainment voids.

One cool thing about Austin is that it is more more than 3 hours in any direction from something fun to do on a weekend. For me, I would just rather live in the place that already has the summer/weekend fun I want.

But entertainment really isn't my big gripe with Austin, it's the traffic and highway problems. I would die of a heart attack if I had to commute to work in Austin. And I-35 strikes me as a "widow maker".

I was hoping Austin was a laid back town that was easy to navigate but my perception was much different than the reality of it.
Okay, now I understand what you're wanting. Don't know if you've heard of Schlliterbaun? If you like water parks you'd love this, Schlitterbahn Waterparks - America's First Family of Waterparks . New Braunfels wouldn't be too bad of a drive. Zoo wise and amusement parks, can't help there other than traveling to San Antonio, Dallas, or Houston. A lot of things "close by" but just not what you're looking for in town. When our kids were in K-12 a lot of our time was spent visiting all the places you described. With both kids in college now, not so much.

I'm with you on the traffic; we are limited in our house hunting due to the fact we don't want my husband having more than a 30-45 minute drive to and from work on a typical day. Pretty much anywhere I-35 and a large city converge can be a nightmare at rush hour. Sadly it has become the nature of the beast.

What is nice to see is that you did take the time to visit Austin before you actually moved. I think too many people end up with their idea of Austin from what they see and read but not based on a real visit. Taking the time to visit a few places will make all the difference to you. Good luck on your search!

Old 04-06-2009, 01:52 PM

22 posts, read 81,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDavis View Post
We may have outgrown our infrastructure, and I35 can scare the tar out of you sometimes (hello 38th St. lower deck entrance ramp), but folks from other metropolitan areas will shake their heads at you and give you a tsk-tsk if you complain about your Round Rock to downtown commute. I'll take Austin traffic any day over Dallas or Houston -- or almost any other big-ish city.

And I'd venture to say we're at least a tad more laid back than other places. At the very least, we'll give you a friendly little honk before we tell you that you're #1.
I'm with you on the traffic. Houston was about the worse for us traffic wise; at least once a week my husband's 20 minute commute would wind up being at least an hour due to construction, accidents, etc. Austin is a great deal better but, as with any growing city, you still have to take into account drive time.

And for all those #1 salutes? So I've misunderstood that gesture all these years. Wow, I'm number one in a lot of people's books! just kidding...

Old 04-06-2009, 02:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
centralaustinite, I tried to give you reps for your most excellent post, but it wouldn't let me.

Exactly. If "something to do" is have something prepackaged handed to you on a plate, no, we don't have as much of that as some other cities (usually larger ones), simply because the Austin populace for the most part is about entertaining themselves, rather than being entertained by others. When we are of a mind to go to an amusement park or a museum or a zoo, we have no problem driving to one of the relatively nearby (for Texas - remember, we ARE in Texas) cities. I've been known to drive to Houston for lunch and shopping, and then back home, and I'm not all that unusual. It comes from growing up in a really BIG state where we're used to driving.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:13 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I've been known to drive to Houston for lunch and shopping, and then back home, and I'm not all that unusual. It comes from growing up in a really BIG state where we're used to driving.
I've done that too! Drive to Houston for lunch and shopping and back to Austin for dinner. Now that IKEA is in Round Rock, I don't do as often, but we still do it. I've known UT professors who would drive to Houston for the opera and drive back the same night.

Austin may not be filled with pre-made entertainment but I've never found another place where it is so easy and accepted to be creative yourself.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:14 PM

37 posts, read 220,783 times
Hey whats up with 38th 1/2 Street? Really? Half street? What does that mean?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:20 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Hey whats up with 38th 1/2 Street? Really? Half street? What does that mean?
It means that squeezed another in there years after 38th and 39th were built . When I was in Galveston, I think I live on N 1/2 street...now that was weird .

Old 04-06-2009, 02:20 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,518 times
Half way between 38th and 39th Street. Yes, really.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:31 PM

37 posts, read 220,783 times
Well thanks everyone for the advice and info. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin