Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:13 PM

29 posts, read 83,238 times

Advertisements

"WOW"!! That was an amazing recommendation itinerary and one which we have printed off to take with us. We plan to spend most of our time in and around the Downtown Austin area; as we are checking out this area out as a potential future area for us to relocate into? However, on Wednesday all going well, we do plan to drive to San Antonio to check out those spots you referred us to there as well.
Thanks again to all the replies; they are greatly appreciated; and will check most of your suggestions out. Feel welcome to add any additional information you think we would welcome; like I'm so interested in learning what living in Austin is like; especially in the Downtown area; we are not intending to live any further out than 3 miles beyond Downtown if we can.
My main concern is making new friends; now that we are Empty Nester's who will be in our early 50's when we do make the move? I'm a peoples person; and like and need to have a few close friendships in my life. I like tennis and walking; but am also open to try new activities like paddling down the river etc. Anything both indoors or outdoors is fine; but outdoors preferred... My husband enjoys playing Darts if that's available?
Without Children it's harder to connect with new people; especially if you live in a City I find; unless you belong to a Church group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:35 PM

29 posts, read 83,238 times
A huge thanks to everyone who contributed above; all were printed out for us to take along with us.
We do plan to take a day trip to visit San Antonio as well, so your recommendations are all now noted and we'll see how much of it we can cover in our 8 night stay. We are visiting with the view of relocating to live in the Downtown Austin area; or be no further out than 3 miles of Downtown... This is still a 4-5 years off yet; so we are there to check out the lifestyle of Austin. We will be in our early 50's and Empty Nester's; so making friends will be more difficult at that age unless your into a Church group? We enjoy tennis and other outdoor activities; my husband enjoys Darts; and as Australian's we both enjoy socializing at the Pub with new and old friends; as well; making new ones whilst there.. However, making new friends in a City; I feel will be so much more difficult than we found living here in the smaller town of Winchester VA? I need at least a few close friends in my life.
So if anyone has any living Downtown advice or experiences; that would also be interesting to hear. Thanks again!!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:48 PM

151 posts, read 348,332 times
Default How'd it go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Dreamer View Post
As first time visitors to TX and the Austin area; from May 16th to 24th; we welcome all suggestions and recommendations for interesting places we could go see, do or dine....along with anything interesting you think..Thanks!!
So how did the Austin visit go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin