Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
That's why I like the Frost Building... because it reminds me of a "superhero" type building.

And the problem isn't people "wanting" Austin to be like where they were from. My liking (or not liking) the hi-rises isn't going to build them or tear them down. I visited Austin, parts of it reminded me of Boston, other parts didn't, I liked it, and I moved here. The "problem" is people wanting Austin to be more like they were from and then doing something about it. Or complaining about it.

The hi-rises are there. I like them. I don't have the nostalgic "I remember when Austin was like...." and, quite frankly, I'm not sure that attitude is helping either. Complaining about how much better Austin used to be is kind of the same thing as complaining about it not being something you wish it were.
I remember what downtown Austin was like when I moved here in 1977, it had changed relatively little in the 24 years leading up to 2001 when I demolished most of those old ugly rat infested warehouse buildings on West Second Street to make way for the new City Hall and redevelopment of that 6 block area. When I finished the demolition I felt that I had done a good thing for the City of Austin removing that blight, even if nothing else ever got built there.

In comparison that neighborhood is now a lively blossoming vital and exciting part of the City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 11:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Well, having been down there recently, I'll just say that if I'd wanted that kind of downtown, I'd have stayed in Dallas or moved to Houston.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:40 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,849 times
Count me in as another high-rise supporter. The condo people wouldn't have stayed wherever they were from if these places weren't around, they would be clogging the old, hip "Austiny" hoods like South Congress and Clarksville to an even greater extent. To those who are against the condos and their residents-- would you rather have them in "Old Austin" changing the atmosphere there and driving prices even higher or have them living downtown in a tower built on a parking lot creating their own, new atmosphere-- even if it is one you don't want to participate in?

Or would you rather have them on half-acre lots in the Edwards Aquifer Recharge Zone?

Old 06-02-2009, 12:21 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
I suppose I am a bit indifferent about the high rises. I wonder if there are jobs in close proximity for the people who live in them? Or jobs that pay enough? I doubt the typical state worker can afford a high rise.

For the person who talked about adding to the AISD tax base without adding children. If you understood Chapter 41 (Robin Hood) calculations then you would know that the definition of a wealthy school district is based on taxable wealth divided by the weighted average daily attendance (WADA). Once the threshold is crossed, some taxes will be redistributed out of district.

So adding taxable property to a school district tax base is not automatically a good thing.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:51 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,109,315 times
On the whole, I am fairly neutral on the high rise condos. But I HATE the name Austonian. HATE IT!! It makes me want to punch something. (Sorry about that Cptn)

Spring, Monarch, those names are fine but I really really gag on the Austonian. The name alone would keep me from ever living there. (I have heard that they will only finish out every third floor and leave the rest till the economy improves.)

But otherwise, greater density is better for the environment and it is good to have more people downtown than in my neighborhood. I really feel for the good people in central East Austin though, gentrification is rough when you are on the receiving end.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:16 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Thanks for the great old school Austin pictures. I miss Austin in the 70s, it was a cool place to live. The Austonian is so silly. I don't think I'll ever call it that. Just like Town Lake. It will always be Town Lake to me.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:19 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,299 times
Oh come on.

The Ann Richards Memorial Congress Street Bridge doesn't have a nice ring to it?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
On the whole, I am fairly neutral on the high rise condos. But I HATE the name Austonian. HATE IT!! It makes me want to punch something. (Sorry about that Cptn)

Spring, Monarch, those names are fine but I really really gag on the Austonian. The name alone would keep me from ever living there. (I have heard that they will only finish out every third floor and leave the rest till the economy improves.)

But otherwise, greater density is better for the environment and it is good to have more people downtown than in my neighborhood. I really feel for the good people in central East Austin though, gentrification is rough when you are on the receiving end.
I know you hate it, you have said that several times. Why do you hate it so much? It seems like a very appropriate name for a significant address to me.

Seriously, what is it about the name that pushes your buttons? I don't see anything offensive about it. Looking at word associations the addition of -ian to a place name, to designate someone from that place has ancient roots, going back to Boston 1675's in the US and ancient history in europe:

Ausonian Au*so"ni*an\, a. [L. Ausonia, poetic name for Italy.] Italian. --Milton.

Hous⋅to⋅ni⋅an  [hyoo-stoh-nee-uhn]
a native or resident of Houston, Texas.

Es⋅to⋅ni⋅an  [e-stoh-nee-uhn] Show IPA –adjective
1. of or pertaining to Estonia or its people. Origins 1785...

Bos⋅to⋅ni⋅an  [baw-stoh-nee-uhn, bo-stoh-] Show IPA
–adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or typical of Boston, Mass., or its residents: a Bostonian childhood; Bostonian reserve.
–noun
2. a native or inhabitant of Boston, Mass. Origin: 1675–85

Lu·si·ta·ni·a (lōō'sĭ-tā'nē-ə)
An ancient region and Roman province of the Iberian Peninsula. It corresponded roughly to modern-day Portugal.
Lu'si·ta'ni·an adj. & n.

The only possible negative association I can think of is the similarity to the word os⋅ten⋅ta⋅tious  [os-ten-tey-shuhs, -tuhn-] –adjective
1. characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others: an ostentatious dresser.

I have a hard time finding it offensive. It is a great name for a prestigious central Austin address in my opinion.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:34 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,299 times
I think the point is that people who live here are referred to as "Austinites", not "Austonians" - as we don't live in "Auston"

The name smacks of developer ignorance.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:58 PM

Austinite sounds kind of silly don't you think? Like some kind of insect.... Termite, parasite, troglobite...

where as Austonian is more like Texan. A good strong sounding name.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin