Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:51 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I don't hate any part of Austin, but I'm also not a remorse filled koolaid drinker, either (not saying you are!). I'm just offering a different point of view.
Never seen any support on SW Austin in any of your posts. I recommend all areas of Austin. Hmmm?

Go and look up the definition of a koolaid drinker. Then rethink your assumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 06:54 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
No doubt, Circle C and Steiner Ranch are both located in beautiful parts of the Hill country. The biggest difference is that Steiner Ranch is not built right on top of the Edwards Aquifer and lacks the scandal-ridden history of Circle C

Circle C Ranch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh the scandal, it keeps me awake at night.

Actually, builders are very conscious of the aquifer in how they build now.

I think Steiner is very nice, but one could say that it has created a wealth of traffic and destroyed a lot of fauna and wildlife to build those large amounts of homes, umm hmm?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:35 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,322,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Never seen any support on SW Austin in any of your posts. I recommend all areas of Austin. Hmmm?

Go and look up the definition of a koolaid drinker. Then rethink your assumption.
Are you kidding? I've posted several times about how much I love Travis Country- close in, great trees, great community feel. Have you not read those posts?? I do feel the need to be fair, and that's why I pointed out that Steiner has great views and is close to the lake. Circle C has nice pools and is closer to downtown, the veloway and the Wildflower Center.
My definition of koolaid drinking is not ever being able to say anything negative about something that is directly related to you....kind of like when there is a hail and tornado storm in your general area but it's 'barely raining' in your neighborhood...... that's kool aid drinking.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,322,756 times
From the thread 'What is it With Steiner"?

I posted:

I think the odd thing is that I always seem to read about Steiner vs. Circle C, but I rarely read about Travis Country, Lost Creek, River Place and Jester. Those happen to be my favorite suburban communities.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:06 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,773,000 times
In my opinion, both SW Austin and Steiner Ranch are vile and unlivable, for anyone with an ecological conscience, but if you need a big ugly retarded house, in terms if architecture, Steiner Ranch is the lesser of two evils. At least you are not on top of the most environmentally sensitive region in central Texas and you have not invested in the development that has the most potential to devastate the water supply in the region. Circle C, and the poor man's version, Meridian, are the developments that put the quality of life in the region most at risk. Newcomers need to know which areas they need to avoid if they care about the long term sustainability of where they are choosing to live.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:24 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
I also have no dog in this fight since I don't live in those areas; however, Thursday my daughter and I took the Innerspace Caverns tour. At one point, we came to an underground pool that our guide told us historically fills nearly to the top of the cavern roof and has closed the cave for several weeks on end due to high water. He said starting about 2 yrs. ago that water level dropped several feet lower than it ever has. He said his theory is that all of the new growth happening out near the aquifer and all of the water usage that happens with the growth has already begun putting a strain on the aquifer and available water supply. He said noone has been able to prove him wrong.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:56 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I also have no dog in this fight since I don't live in those areas; however, Thursday my daughter and I took the Innerspace Caverns tour. At one point, we came to an underground pool that our guide told us historically fills nearly to the top of the cavern roof and has closed the cave for several weeks on end due to high water. He said starting about 2 yrs. ago that water level dropped several feet lower than it ever has. He said his theory is that all of the new growth happening out near the aquifer and all of the water usage that happens with the growth has already begun putting a strain on the aquifer and available water supply. He said noone has been able to prove him wrong.
Do you think maybe a five year drought comes into play at all?

Old 06-14-2009, 08:05 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
In my opinion, both SW Austin and Steiner Ranch are vile and unlivable, for anyone with an ecological conscience, but if you need a big ugly retarded house, in terms if architecture, Steiner Ranch is the lesser of two evils. At least you are not on top of the most environmentally sensitive region in central Texas and you have not invested in the development that has the most potential to devastate the water supply in the region. Circle C, and the poor man's version, Meridian, are the developments that put the quality of life in the region most at risk. Newcomers need to know which areas they need to avoid if they care about the long term sustainability of where they are choosing to live.
Hmmm. Interesting. You seem to have strong opinions.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:28 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Do you think maybe a five year drought comes into play at all?

July 2007 ring a bell? That was within the last five years. If you don't recall, Marble Falls got 19 inches of rain in four hours (and upstream from us, in northern Williamson County, there was 9 inches of rain in 4 hours and the creek running through our property came up to what had to be the 500 year flood plain line and our storm shelter filled with water).

One wonders what it was like in Inner Space Cavern shortly after that flood.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
July 2007 ring a bell? That was within the last five years. If you don't recall, Marble Falls got 19 inches of rain in four hours (and upstream from us, in northern Williamson County, there was 9 inches of rain in 4 hours and the creek running through our property came up to what had to be the 500 year flood plain line and our storm shelter filled with water).

One wonders what it was like in Inner Space Cavern shortly after that flood.
We just had a structural engineer come out and look at a house because of some cracking in foundation. He was the one that told us the area has experienced a five year drought. It doesn't matter if you get 19 inches of rain in four hours if the rest of the year rainfall is way below average. You can have a flash flood and still be in a drought.

And no, it doesn't ring a bell, we just moved back here six months ago and Central TX weather isn't the talk of the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin