Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:05 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,086 times

Advertisements

Good find THL

Now imagine the monster SUV version, twice as wide, driven by an inattentive adult who is plowing people with a second shopping cart while talking on a cell phone, and pretending not to notice anyone else. I'm not complaining about children... it's the adult...

I've seen some at the other extreme too... very polite, holding their child's hand while walking, and teaching them manners... if only they could teach the other adults LOL!

Last edited by nomore07; 08-18-2009 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:39 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylonghorn2 View Post
I have no idea what you guys are talking about when you say "kids carts". I just moved here from NYC. I grew up in Texas but I guess when I was a kid we didn't have special carts. I just remember sitting inside the actual grocery cart. Can I see a photo?

And please cut us parents some slack! I'm sure no one wants to take their toddlers to the grocery store but sometimes you don't have a choice.

Anyway, it seems like a pretty silly argument. With all the space in Texas grocery stores I can't believe you guys are bickering over how much room anything takes up.
Maybe it depends on the grocery store? My grocery store is smallish and super crowded. This is what we're talking about:

Old 08-18-2009, 10:52 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Maybe it depends on the grocery store? My grocery store is smallish and super crowded.
You've GOT to get outta Central Austin more often, mimimomx3

In the suburbs, we have wide open spaces, wide lanes, SUV-sized parking spaces and wide aisles in our huge grocery stores.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
You've GOT to get outta Central Austin more often, mimimomx3

In the suburbs, we have wide open spaces, wide lanes, SUV-sized parking spaces and wide aisles in our huge grocery stores.
That must be it!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:05 AM

477 posts, read 1,581,348 times
The Wal Mart I was talking about is HUGE and almost always empty. Thats why it was so surprising that they had no carts, then to be told that they only have 4 to use. I was there again yesterday and noticed that they had 6 of the motorized carts for Handicapped people. I would also think it would be smarter from a safety standpoint to give parents more options to have their younger children strapped in and secure. Even with the most well behaved children, a parent can turn their head for a second to look at a price or label, and that kid could see something they like and climb on a shelf, knock a glass jar off the shelf, etc...

Old 08-19-2009, 08:18 AM

556 posts, read 1,563,682 times
Awesome topic! Raising my kids, and my two boys were close enough to twins, I just winged it. Used a little infant seat, and my toddler rode in the basket, or walked beside me. They were content, and well-behaved, and so was I (for the most part)! LOL. Why do we have to coddle the latest generation with every gadget, and so much plastic and artificial experience?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
True. As I said, a slightly wider basket with double seats in it would be great and would serve the purpose of corraling the kids while the Mom shopped and taught them how to behave in a grocery store. No necessity to make it into a toy for the kiddies (which defeats the purpose of learning how to behave when you don't have any toys around).

Old 08-19-2009, 08:24 AM

477 posts, read 1,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
Awesome topic! Raising my kids, and my two boys were close enough to twins, I just winged it. Used a little infant seat, and my toddler rode in the basket, or walked beside me. They were content, and well-behaved, and so was I (for the most part)! LOL. Why do we have to coddle the latest generation with every gadget, and so much plastic and artificial experience?
I hear this all the time and two kids who are close in age are not "close enough to twins." a child who can still fit in an infant seat and a toddler have a TOTALLY different dynamic than two 2-1/2 year olds. When they're older, it's different, but at that age, it is nothing like having twins. Unless you have them, you won't understand.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:31 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
That's why, when I brought it up, I mentioned the two boys of the same age (my son and his best friend - folks who didn't know us thought they were brothers) that I frequently took shopping. We thought at one point that we were going to have twins, and I researched the heck out of it and talked to several mothers of twins (specifically, mothers who'd had a singlet and then twins, because that was perhaps going to be our situation, all of them I could find), and they consistently said, "If you can survive the first year, twins are easier than just one." Now, this was some 25 years ago, but I doubt that twins have changed all that much in the intervening decades.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:36 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
\ "If you can survive the first year, twins are easier than just one." Now, this was some 25 years ago, but I doubt that twins have changed all that much in the intervening decades.
I am not sure if I buy this. My best friend up in Seattle has twins the age of my son and she and her husband were frazzled until they were about five. Everytime we would spend time with them we'd come home and say to each other, "I don't know how they do it!" Their kids were fairly well behaved too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin