Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 05:16 PM

80 posts, read 687,989 times

Advertisements

I live in a new housing development and I often find scorpions inside of my house. Does anybody know how to get rid of those? I am worried about my pets getting stung. Thanks if you can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 05:28 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Orkin

Old 09-04-2009, 09:37 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
We had the same problem when we moved to a new house about ten years ago. We hired a pest control company and as they told us, anything strong enough to kill scorpions would hurt us too. So they spray to get rid of the rest of the bugs which serve as food for the scorpions. We found about 40 inside between April and October and then we stopped seeing them. Of course we moved out the following January so I don't know if they returned again in the spring or not. I think over time you just see less and less of them as neighborhoods become developed and their habitats disappear.

Wish I could provide better advice, but I am not sure there is any other than to shake your clothes and shoes out before you get dressed.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I believe none of the common pesticides, whether retail or "pro" are directly effective against scorpions. I know that none of the ones I have used (going back to Diazinon, Malathion, and whatever ingredients are in ant/roach killer and wasp killers). It is pretty amazing that wasp spray can kill 25 yellow jackets in seconds but will do almost nothing to a scorpion.

So controlling their food supply is probably the most effective tactic. Also look for cracks or gaps in the home's exterior that might allow scorpions to sneak inside the house.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:53 PM

9 posts, read 54,748 times
Spray Shmay.

Use the heel of your boot.

If anything, it's more satisfying.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:00 AM

748 posts, read 1,771,658 times
Scorpions in the house?! YOW!
How dangerous are they? Like a bee sting, or more poisonous?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
Scorpions in the house?! YOW!
How dangerous are they? Like a bee sting, or more poisonous?
I've never been stung but from people I know that have, it is worse than a bee sting but not deadly. Apparently the scorpions in these parts are not kind that have the deadly venom, for those you need to head closer to the equator. How much further south, I am unsure.

Here's an article that you may find useful http://www.slate.com/id/2107022/

Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 AM
yam

228 posts, read 887,697 times
Bug spray doesn't work because a scorpion isn't a bug. Get some spider spray (works on all arachnids). When I had a scorpion problem, I also found it useful to invest in some tongs and scissors. Step one, spray the scorpion with spider spray to stun it. Step two, grab it with the tongs and proceed to the nearest toilet. Step three, cut it into itty bitty little pieces and watch them sink to the bottom. Step four, flush! Or if you're feeling more humane, you can just pick the critter up with the tongs, proceed to the nearest safe dumping place, and set it free to terrorize someone else.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:39 PM

17 posts, read 51,908 times
Starvation is about the only thing I have found that works.

I have yet to see one in Austin (only lived here 2 years though) When I was younger my family lived in El Paso and we would get them in the house a few times. they came up the drians. usually the shower.

chemicals dont work they can adapt to about anything quickly. we would collect one in a glass jar and seal it and it took over a week for them to die.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Sticky traps work quite well for scorpions, put them in closets, dark places, and behind all furniture that is against the wall; esp. your bed. And spray well with spider spray. Then you MIGHT not get stung, but don't count on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin