Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:18 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC1983 View Post
so rents weekly ok... now what about jobs do they pay weekly or every other week?
Most permanent jobs will pay fortnightly - every two weeks. If you're contract, like me, it depends on the agency you go through. Mine pays weekly. I know others who pay fortnightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC1983 View Post
so rents weekly ok... now what about jobs do they pay weekly or every other week?

I have been both a tenant and a landlord, and although rents are always quoted on a per week basis, I have always paid and been paid monthly... in advance. This relates to Sydney and country NSW, so it could be different elsewhere.

It is also standard procedure to pay a 'bond' equivalent to one month's rent, which you get back at the end of the tenancy if you haven't done any damage to the premises over and above 'normal wear and tear'.

As Vichel said, many jobs pay fortnightly... though some pay weekly or monthly.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
We always get our rent paid weekly. Must be different for everyone. When we rented when we first got here, we paid weekly as well, in advance. Plus that bond. Is it different in different cities? Or does it just depend on the situation?

Old 09-13-2010, 07:43 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,671 times
I found out on the NSW Fair Trading website that charging a rental bond is not mandatory (though I've never personally known anyone not charge it or be required to pay it). The maximum rental bond that can be asked for is four weeks rent, for unfurnished premises; six weeks rent, for fully furnished premises with a rent of $250 or less per week, or unlimited, if the rent for fully furnished premises is more than $250 per week.

The amount of bond that is to be paid must be written on the agreement, and must be in the form of money and not as a guarantee.

Since home renting is under State jurisdiction, it could be quite different elsewhere!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
We always get our rent paid weekly. Must be different for everyone. When we rented when we first got here, we paid weekly as well, in advance. Plus that bond. Is it different in different cities? Or does it just depend on the situation?
I pay weekly, and generally rent here in WA is advertised as weekly.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,008 times
Default Living in Australia

OK, here goes, I just got back from Australia with my familyand while there are some Beautiful sights to see and it is easy to get around, because of mass transit, the down side is the food tastes SOOOOO different!!! It tastes like a vegetarian cooked it and flavored it!! They do not feed thier cows pigs, chickens, etc... the way we do!! We were there for 10 months and stayed in Melb. and Sydney. The pay is great, McDonalds pays $18.00 to start and waitresess make $20.00 p/hour!! The problem is the cost of living! A gallon of gas is now around $6.50 per gallon and a 6 pack of Budweiser is $17.00 each!! Bananas are around $15.00 per bunch!! A box of POP-TARTS costs $11.00!! Our son got 1 box while we were there!!! We stayed with my sister outside of the city and we paid $2.250.00 p/month rent for a 3 bedroom apt., Elect. comes Quartely and it will break you!! Older homes and apts. DO NOT have airconditioning or heating. The food tastes bad, I could not stand the food or the fact that you pay for minuites on the comp, $200.00 per month if you use it alot!! They do not have high speed YET!! All in all I would say do alot of research as alot of thier food is asian or Indian, curry mostly!! If you like the way you live here then you will be totally upside down there, Literally!! I was born there and I loved it as a child, I moved when I was 11, but once we went back I missed America TOOOOOOOO much!!

Old 02-02-2012, 05:08 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyRicky007 View Post
All in all I would say do alot of research as alot of thier food is asian or Indian, curry mostly!!
That's news to me.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
That's news to me.
LOL. What the heck do you eat then? I only eat curry.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:14 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
LOL. What the heck do you eat then? I only eat curry.
After living in the UK, I can't touch a curry in Australia! Although there is a place on Oxford St that I frequent after midnight that does an Indian Kebab and it's well worth it. Naan bread, butter chicken sauce and tandoori chicken. Way better than a regualr kebab.

I wonder what food cooked and flavoured by a vegetarian tastes like.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:27 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
After living in the UK, I can't touch a curry in Australia! Although there is a place on Oxford St that I frequent after midnight that does an Indian Kebab and it's well worth it. Naan bread, butter chicken sauce and tandoori chicken. Way better than a regualr kebab.

I wonder what food cooked and flavoured by a vegetarian tastes like.
an Indian Kebab? do tell.

IMO Souvlaki > Kebab...

.... oh wait. that doesn't fit in with the only indian and asian food idea....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand