Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:36 AM

26 posts, read 125,363 times

Advertisements

How do Australia & USA compare as places to live, prosper and raise a family? Which would you choose? Considering lifestyle, career scope, taxes, real estate, etc, etc, etc ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 05:42 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,961,647 times
Australia

I'll stay in the "Sunburnt Country" thanks.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:34 AM

56 posts, read 124,432 times
I would love to live in the US for a time. Yes Australia ia great but I really would love to experience all the states over there. For instance the northern states verses the southern states, west coast verses east coast,city or the country, so many different diverse people, traditions, occasions, festivals,lifestyles, etc, I could go on all night. Hmm I really don't think I would leave once I got there...lol. I love american people!

Old 06-14-2008, 11:15 AM

60 posts, read 203,704 times
Australia any day of the week for several reasons.
Firstly it is a great place to have a family. There is not much danger of gangs and crime here and also the healthcare is absolutley fantastic. There is also a growing job sector which is great if you are a skilled worker of a university graduate. Taxes here arent huge but they do nudge there head into your wallet. However at least you can see where it is going. Not to compare to the states on this (or to start a debate) but there is a great culture here for welcoming people which is great if you are new in town. As for the states the forums have covered that pretty well you can decide on that as touching that topic seems to get you in some hot internet water

Old 06-14-2008, 12:08 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,973,869 times
[quote=Aiike;4102898] ...healthcare is absolutley fantastic. QUOTE]

One of my best friends is a Sydney native and has lived there her whole life. I was appalled to find that when she had a serious dental issue (abscessed tooth) that her wait would be WEEKS to wait for care. That's a potentially fatal delay, as an upper tooth abscess can lead to a brain abscess. She also gave up waiting for a routine (over age 50) colonoscopy, as the waiting time was months.

I wouldn't call that 'fantastic' in the good sense of the word.

I think if you've not lived in BOTH places there's no basis on which to make the comparison and judgement the original poster requested.

Last edited by Viralmd; 06-14-2008 at 02:15 PM..

Old 06-14-2008, 04:21 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,034,442 times
Australia. Admittedly, no actual experience, but several friends who moved there when I moved here absolutely love it. I also have several really good Aussie friends and I like the laid back attitude they have.
Then again, the weather in NZ appeals a bit more as I am not a great fan of the heat.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:44 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiike View Post
A graduate. Taxes here arent huge but they do nudge there head into your wallet. However at least you can see where it is going.
LoL into cost blowouts, delays and gross incompetence

Old 06-17-2008, 03:54 AM

605 posts, read 2,382,793 times
Australia any day because they have wombats.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:23 AM

9,904 posts, read 13,917,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiike View Post
Australia any day of the week for several reasons.
Firstly it is a great place to have a family. There is not much danger of gangs and crime here and also the healthcare is absolutley fantastic. There is also a growing job sector which is great if you are a skilled worker of a university graduate. Taxes here arent huge but they do nudge there head into your wallet. However at least you can see where it is going. Not to compare to the states on this (or to start a debate) but there is a great culture here for welcoming people which is great if you are new in town. As for the states the forums have covered that pretty well you can decide on that as touching that topic seems to get you in some hot internet water
I live here and even I wouldn't say that!

If we're going to make that comparison I will say that I'd stay in Australia based on what is available through Medicare here in comparison to how health care is run and paid for in the States, but that's purely based on my own circumstances.

As to living in the States, sure I could think of a few places I wouldn't mind setting up home over there. There are lots of great things about America and in America that I've always wanted to see, but I'm not sure I could be there permanently. Like roofarmer and others have mentioned I'm a little bit partial to the sunburnt country.

I am sure however, that both countries are comparable in terms of relocating.

Last edited by moonshadow; 06-17-2008 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-17-2008, 07:06 AM

62 posts, read 395,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Then again, the weather in NZ appeals a bit more as I am not a great fan of the heat.
Ahh, you should look into Tasmania then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand