Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 02:03 AM

5 posts, read 49,453 times

Advertisements

Every country and nationality has stereotypes...one wastes their energy taking them to heart or even repeating them.

Everyone has an accent...even myself who's raised in Colorado USA and we Coloradans didn't know Colorado has an accent ie. Texas??

Now living in Australia when people ask about my accent sure I cringe inside thinking people ass-u-me and I quote "All Americans are fat and lazy idiots" (which I am not any bit of that so I can say "This American is sexy and smart, oh and modest" ) BUT then I joke around sometimes saying I'm Canadian (no offense to Can-a-d-ya. At least we laugh it off, eh?!

Now if someone throws a beer bottle at my face well then I may think that individual is an ignorant 'bloke' or just a drunk.

Moral of the story: Didn't our moms or mums teach us to not point fingers? Well shouldn't 'play nice' apply to online cyperspace too?

In America YES we do have public healthcare it's called Medicare. Maybe you should try to atleast google this topic before saying "in the us there is no public heatlthcover australia atleast u can get cover". That's like saying in america you can't get oranges?

The biggest difference between nations is that US employers (and not all) typically offer benefits including healthcare for employees. Which in my opinion is easier than dealing with any nations government healthcare.

And lastly to respond to a post days ago I laughed about a response from Kangaroofarmer as I had mentioned Australia was great because....they have dropbears, etc...well yes I DO know they dont exist...just seeing if anyone would catch my humor. I forgot to put a cool green guy next to it. My aussie friends played that joke on me upon arriving to Australia...HA HA I got someone back!! Cheap thrills

Last question to answer was from I believe a fellow Coloradan ?? asking which place I liked living the best: Colorado, San Diego (10 years), Spain (Madrid and Barcelona) or Australia (Perth)...

Honestly they are all so different. Born in Colorado the people are friendly, take the time to say 'hello' passing you by and I grew up skiing (pre-boarding days) every weekend since 3 yrs old. The rocky mountains and sunshine allow you to be outdoors year round, but I left at age 19 so that's pre-college when fake ID's were cool and so were pagers...A LOT has changed and Denver boomed.

San Diego's micro-climate, always sunny weather and ocean makes it hard to leave. It's truly the best of both worlds with oceans, nearby lakes and resort mountains not to mention desert, Vegas and Mexico! It's my favorite in that sense....always something to do and explore.

As for Perth, it's alot like San Diego so how can I complain. Sure my favorite fish taco pub is NOT down the street BUT I live in Ocean Beach, San Diego and there's an Ocean Beach, Perth...kinda feels like home minus family and friends

As for aussies, I have yet to meet one I didn't like. And some aussies would disagree but as an American never having been to Oz I was pleasantly surprised of all the similarities between our countries. And yes there are differences but those aside...I'm talking about being connected on a global level.

We have the same department stores (Target, Kmart...oh the lovely conglomerates which opens a whole can of worms)...less controversial brand names for products like Kleenex, Colgate, Advil, etc. Car rental companies and most influential is American sitcoms, reality shows. It's like sitting in my house in San Diego watching TV...kinda cool in my perspective. In Spain you'd be lucky to get the Simpsons but of course dubbed in Spanish so by the time you translate the language you feel dumber than Homer or like your brain is on a frying pan. LOL

My point is only this...we are all similar in many ways. The Spanards enjoy spanish food, less common is Italian, Chinese, etc. They are homogenous to their culture, proud of their wine and heritage. So are Americans, Australians, Blacks, Indians, etc.

Keep it real, ignore stereotypes and being your own victim of racism

Cheers!

All Indians are considered as taxi drivers.

or telemarketers thats the main one thasts the only thing right in your whole post

All Americans are considered as fat lazy idiots.

no that is crap

All British are worshipped.

no, we hate the poms wherd you get that from
4. Ignorance is rife: I have been told plenty of times "You are not white but you seem to speak English" or "I am surprised you have been in Australia only 3 years and you speak English" or "Do the teachers in your country come from the UK?"
In the US - never experienced this, and everyone seems to understand my accent or at least makes an effort to do so.

what accent do you have ?

Medical System:
1. Absolutely the worst of all the places i have been in. If you dont pay for private health insurance, then you have to wait too long as ViralMD posted earlier. Private health insurance costs a lot lot more in Australia than in the US, and they only reimburse a percentage, not all of the expenses, even if you go to the doctors in their network.

in the us there is no public heatlthcover australia atleast u can get cover.
2. Australian doctors seem to know the cure for any and all kinds of illnesses. This great wonder is called Panadol (paracetamol tablets).
You fall sick, you have panadol. Your eyes water, you take panadol. Your nose itches, you take panadol. You get a rash on your skin, you take panadol. You get sun burnt, you take panadol. And you have to wait 45 minutes to see the doctor who finally tells you to go take a panadol.

that is crap man what doctor did u have one that cant speakk english

Vacations/Motels:
I paid $240 a night in a place near Melbourne in a very poorly maintained motel which didnt have a remote for the TV.
In the US - I have lived in motels and paid as low as $70 a night and they were great value for money.

Hotels are $150 for a 4 star u must of picked a pretty bad motel

1. Unless you are white, you are looked upon as "another one of those immigrants who is trying to take our jobs and is living on our welfare".
Note: Australia stopped giving out Centrelink (welfare) payments to new immigrants long back, there is a 2 year wait for that now.
In the US - people are more friendly irrespective of my color.

what country were you originally from?[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 02:37 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,958,655 times
Hehe, I was just making sure!, That you weren't looking up into the trees, In cold fear of being maulled By a Killer Koala..Don't forget to put some Vegemite behind your ears though, Just to be safe?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 07-21-2008 at 03:21 AM..

Old 07-21-2008, 05:14 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,119,924 times
Whoa, what an interesting thread this has been.

Well I love the US (my partner is Southern) but i'd love to visit Australia. I have family out in Perth and alot of friends in Sydney. My cousin is going to be moving there in a few years, he loves it. Just seems like its well suited to me being outdoorsy, love hot climates, beautiful beaches and its a lower cost of living than Scotland.

About DDevils statement about the Aussies worshipping Brits. I think that would be untrue but i've heard from my family that they love us Scots, everybody does.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:38 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,909,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Whoa, what an interesting thread this has been.

Well I love the US (my partner is Southern) but i'd love to visit Australia. I have family out in Perth and alot of friends in Sydney. My cousin is going to be moving there in a few years, he loves it. Just seems like its well suited to me being outdoorsy, love hot climates, beautiful beaches and its a lower cost of living than Scotland.

About DDevils statement about the Aussies worshipping Brits. I think that would be untrue but i've heard from my family that they love us Scots, everybody does.
So true! But that's because so many of us are related!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:25 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,119,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
So true! But that's because so many of us are related!
Awww

Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 PM

217 posts, read 346,820 times
I would prefer to live in the US simply because it is closer to the rest of the world. In a short flight you have access to the caribbean, europe, mexico, hell even south america.

With Australia, a short flight will get you to Papau New Guinea and Indonesia. Australia is just too isolated for my liking.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:34 PM

403 posts, read 1,326,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
This isn't some kind of trickery is it Sleddog? Tell the hapless Aussie to wear bells so we can all have a good laugh???

What are the bells gonna do??? Do they mesmerize them or something? And do they still work if you've got a PBJ sammich in your pocket????
LOL. In all seriousness, the bells are supposed to alert bears that humans are in the area so they will hopefully stay away. Shouting/talking/singing are typically recommended more, but go up to Glacier NP in Montana and they'll be eager to sell you some bells . We just got back from Glacier NP and Yellowstone, and were fortunate enough to see 4 grizzlies from the comfort of our vehicle. I'd hate to bump into one of those guys out on the trail!

Old 07-25-2008, 02:08 AM
SNH

4 posts, read 22,955 times
I'm an Australian who has lived all over the world, and one place I do not want to spend the rest of my life is Australia.

The US is so full of faults it isn't funny, but I would be prepared to deal with those in order to live in a country that is infinetely more interesting.

Australia feels like the end of the Earth, which is fine if you only care about beaches and Australian football. But the isolation - both physical and the isolation Australians impose on themselves by being focused only on things Australian - really gets to me. I feel like I'm missing out on the world when I'm stuck here.

To me Australia is one of those places that's okay for a visit, but I would never want to know I'm stuck here.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:59 AM

200 posts, read 1,008,712 times
I'm an Aussie, have lived in San Diego and love it. For me Australia's pretty hard to beat. Yeah it's isolated but the people are very well travelled and there is a lot of influence from other cultures in the cities anyway.

I've been living in London for 4 years which is a great place to live for a while but not permanently. I really look forward to settling in Melbourne. Out of all the places to live I think it's the best city in the world. Both countries have their imperfections but what I would say is out of the 194 countries in the world you can do a hell of a lot worse either way. On the other hand you're not going to do much better.

Last edited by billsaintkilda; 07-25-2008 at 09:10 AM..

Old 07-25-2008, 05:18 PM

251 posts, read 881,067 times
Never been to Australia but would love to go, would rather live there than the usa as well, i live in the usa now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand