Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,589,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
We do? That's interesting given that Victoria is the site of the Eureka Stockade and what is considered by many as the birthplace of Australian democracy. I'm really curious Ranger, I know you said you couldn't explain why you felt that way but I'd like to hear your thoughts. It's not an impression I'd have ever considered, perhaps that's because I'm all for a republic and always very happy when we stick it to the monarchists?
I donno maybe its what kangaroofarmers described but as you know much of Australia and U.S.A. is diverse and it seeks to find an identity rather than just an ideology ... for example are democratic-capitalistic societies all based on a life of chasing luxury and fame rather than say a third world country where it chases a collective way of life, a political-religious-ethnic identity?

And then again if America is a diverse country founded on English principals and we stuck it to the Queen, did we toss away our identity. I don't believe so. What I felt was Sydney is or perhaps will become a homogenous (AKA worldclass) city as any other capitalist major country and the Melbourne and Perth natives seemed more inclined to cling on to their identity of descent. I could be wrong. I do admit though there are striking similarities and striking differences between Aussie and Americans. However similar, Canada is just not on my list, I could not imagine living in a place without character, Aussie and U.S.A. plenty of character.

Last edited by RangerDuke08; 06-25-2008 at 10:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 10:38 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,914,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
I donno maybe its what kangaroofarmers described but as you know much of Australia and U.S.A. is diverse and it seeks to find an identity rather than just an ideology ... for example are democratic-capitalistic societies all based on a life of chasing luxury and fame rather than say a third world country where it chases a collective way of life, a political-religious-ethnic identity?

And then again if America is a diverse country founded on English principals and we stuck it to the Queen, did we toss away our identity. I don't believe so. What I felt was Sydney is or perhaps will become a homogenous (AKA worldclass) city as any other capitalist major country and the Melbourne and Perth natives seemed more inclined to cling on to their identity of descent. I could be wrong. I do admit though there are striking similarities and striking differences between Aussie and Americans. However similar, Canada is just not on my list, I could not imagine living in a place without character, Aussie and U.S.A. plenty of character.
Thanks for getting back to me on this because ever since you've mentioned it I've been pondering it.

I'm just wondering if it's more to do with the similarities between London and Melbourne in terms of weather that perhaps have led to our lifestyle being more like the British? More steeped in tradition out of necessity than perhaps a conscious choice? Sydney being more of an outdoor culture because weather permits it, a generally a warmer climate has it evolving into a more forward, future driven city because it is driven by youth culture more, whereas Melbourne has, as roofarmer mentioned, clung to tradition and culture because it's not like we can go running down the beach in the middle of winter! More likely to want to snuggle up in a pub somewhere with a fire or go to the theatre and save our outdoors lifestyle for the warmer months. Oh and I think perhaps that there is a higher concentration of monarchists in Perth and WA (correct me if I'm wrong roofarmer) but they have a higher number of british and uk expats than other parts of the country. Anyway, what you've said got me thinking and I went hunting and it appears that when we had the referendum here, (the dodgy one with the crap questions thanks Johnny NOT! ) that there were more Victorians that voted for a republic than New South Welshmen. (and women. )

Australian republic referendum, 1999 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although looking at the statistics my theory doesn't account for Queenslanders because they are in a hotter climate but they had the lowest percentage in the stats. Maybe it's because they have a larger rural population? I don't know. This is a very interesting conundrum you've presented me with Ranger.

I agree with what you've said here, that there are quite a great deal of similarities between Australia and America as well as differences and that both countries have character and are seeking identity seperate from their beginnings.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me on this because ever since you've mentioned it I've been pondering it.

I'm just wondering if it's more to do with the similarities between London and Melbourne in terms of weather that perhaps have led to our lifestyle being more like the British? More steeped in tradition out of necessity than perhaps a conscious choice? Sydney being more of an outdoor culture because weather permits it, a generally a warmer climate has it evolving into a more forward, future driven city because it is driven by youth culture more, whereas Melbourne has, as roofarmer mentioned, clung to tradition and culture because it's not like we can go running down the beach in the middle of winter! More likely to want to snuggle up in a pub somewhere with a fire or go to the theatre and save our outdoors lifestyle for the warmer months. Oh and I think perhaps that there is a higher concentration of monarchists in Perth and WA (correct me if I'm wrong roofarmer) but they have a higher number of british and uk expats than other parts of the country. Anyway, what you've said got me thinking and I went hunting and it appears that when we had the referendum here, (the dodgy one with the crap questions thanks Johnny NOT! ) that there were more Victorians that voted for a republic than New South Welshmen. (and women. )

Although looking at the statistics my theory doesn't account for Queenslanders because they are in a hotter climate but they had the lowest percentage in the stats. Maybe it's because they have a larger rural population? I don't know. This is a very interesting conundrum you've presented me with Ranger.

I agree with what you've said here, that there are quite a great deal of similarities between Australia and America as well as differences and that both countries have character and are seeking identity seperate from their beginnings.
Hey sorry to make you think too hard, don't want to make you burn those brain cells for nothing. I think the referendum might also have influenced my idea, although the difference between Sydney and Melbourne was only a small percentage but that was exactly the time I was in Australia 1999-2000 and honestly I still don't exactly understand how the government operates in Australia. I'm very glad you mentioned the regional difference as though I don't completly comprehend the regional and racial diversity in different regions, I can safely say Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne will become more diverse than that of Perth easily. In the United States diversity is more prominent along the coasts such as California, New York, Florida, Texas than it is the center of the country where I live in Colorado is about 90% Caucasian. And as you mentioned, weather does make a difference, as the South is warmer and often people say Southerners are warmer as well as the rural portion of the U.S., the midwest is often said to be said more "down to earth" < though I know generalization are wrong, I am simply trying to paint a picture at best.

I do know at the time I was studying abroad as well as doing educational development in E. Timor thus I was at Perth (Notre Dame, we have one here as well go Irish!) and ACU Sydney, Victoria University, Darwin and Dili simultanously working on Educational development workshops for the Timorese. It was quite a journey as simply in the United States the major cities are less spread out, ie. NY, BOSTON, DC, etc. And I noticed Australia playing the biggest part in liberating E. Timor as well as the soldiers in your country VERY young! Talk about soldiers 20 or 21 years old, some of the kids I saw must've only been 17. I gotta say Australia has always stood by the U.S. and may be one of our closest allies, possibly because of similar ideologies, not something we Americans give enough recognition to. I was also very surprised having long, deep intellectual conversations with native Aussies, certainly left a good gal behind, reinforcing my notion that American similarities with Aussies may be closer than you think.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
While Sydney is the birthplace of Australia. "Marvellous Melbourne" has always been the main Commerce, Industry and Culture centre. Your "Pro-British" feeling May stem from the fact, That During the 19th Century. Melbourne, Came to see itself, As Australia's eqivalent of London?

A view, That I think still exists, In the hearts of Melburnians?
It would make sense as the capital Canberra is somewhere in between both. There must be a deep history behind that.

Quote:
I can assure you though, The "Poms" aren't worshipped, In any region of Australia! (Especially, When the Cricket or the Rugby starts up?)
I didn't care much for rugby or cricket, similarly baseball nor American football will never catch on in Australia but I did like Aussie rules very much, there's a lot of potential in that game!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:37 AM

104 posts, read 452,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Speak for yourself. Not in Perth. Every time I go thru Sydney airport, I bring back at least a dozen. Family and friends here demand it. We get nothing in Perth. I hear Costco's coming to Oz too, but I'm sure it'll never come to Perth either. Not that it'd be as good as it is in the US anyway, but still.

One thing to remember about choosing btwn Oz and US - Oz is FAR from everything. East coast bad enough, but west coast, fuhgedaboudit! 30 hour flights are not fun.
It's a disgrace melbourne,canberra and sydney have them and in adelaide sometimes we can get plain ones but they suck compared to the flavoured ones.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:53 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,461,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2theUS View Post
USA for me, Australia is a nice place but I could'nt live there.

Couldn't of said of better myself, after spending 18 years of living next to Aussie I cannot wait to get away from it

Old 06-26-2008, 06:09 AM

602 posts, read 1,964,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggas View Post
krispy kremes are now in australia so that makes it an easier decision.
That would tend to do it. Krispy Kremes? Are of the Lord.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:13 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,960,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerduke08 View Post
it Would Make Sense As The Capital Canberra Is Somewhere In Between Both. There Must Be A Deep History Behind That.

not As Deep As You Might Think?

while The Australia Capital Territory (act), Was Always Marked As The Home Of The Governemnt Captial, Since Well Before Federation In 1901, It Wasn't Until 1913, That Work Actually Started On The Territory Capital, Canberra.

for A Very Long Time There Had Been Ongoing Disputes Between Sydney And Melbourne, As To Which City Should Be The Home Of Parliament, With melbourne Being The Winner And Holding Parliment Meetings, From 1901 To 1927 At The Victorian Parliment House Buliding.

in 1927 The Parliament Moved To Canberra. But, When It Was Decided, That The Old "provisional" Government House Building In Canberra, Was No Longer Of Use?, Construction On The New Government House Buliding Began In 1981 (finished In 1988)

parliament House, Canberra - Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia

I Didn't Care Much For Rugby Or Cricket, Similarly Baseball Nor American Football Will Never Catch On In Australia But I Did Like Aussie Rules Very Much, There's A Lot Of Potential In That Game!

there Is Huge Potential, As aussie Rules, Is Possibly One Of The World's Fastest Growing Football Styles, Due To The Australian Football League's Heavy Promotion In Overseas Markets. With Almost Every Country Having Atleast A Amature League!, With Some Even Being Able To Raise Highly Competitive International Teams.

australian Rules Football Around The World - Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia
8)

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 06-26-2008 at 09:44 AM..

Old 06-26-2008, 09:03 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,960,397 times
Quote:

While Western Australia does have a very large number of British Expats (We're just behind New South Wales in that department). I don't think the number of Monarchists here, Is any higher than the other states?

It's possibly more to do with the fact, That even though WA has threatened to "Seceed", From the Australian Commonwealth a few times (We're big enough to be our own country )There's still a fear of change in this state (Not Me though ), Just look at our outdated trading laws and often conservative views?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 06-26-2008 at 10:11 AM..

Old 06-26-2008, 10:32 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,124,733 times
Australia to me is a great place to visit & think about, but not to live in (my opinion). Too isolated, less diversity, less excitement and less overall life opportunities than the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand