Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 09:51 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,901,260 times

Advertisements

Apart from differing accents(and of course rooting for a different sports team) America is pretty much the same...poorer in spots perhaps,differing geography,but the same.

There was a time when the different states were like different countries almost...now it is like one big Wal-mart almost,endless amounts of the same stuff.

The 'can-do' attitude has been replaced by the 'whats in it for me' and 'how best can I get what I want'...

I see little in the way of 'can do' as it was,there is however(or were) a LOT of people making bucketloads of cash(the Almighty dollar) for no real purpose beyond having it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 06:36 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,044,303 times
Reason I asked is when a few of my friends came to visit (at different times) the common comment was it reminded them of the states (one guy said States in the 70s). It was nice to see me and Oz and they were glad to have come, but they would not come back, it wasn't that different. You see the same stores in different cities, same fast food places, etc. etc.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:14 PM

266 posts, read 548,578 times
Traveled to visit and stay with friends in the burbs of Sydney a month ago. I loved it. Sydney is truly a beautiful city with much to boast about. Qantas deserves all bragging rights as far as I'm concerned ... even in light of the current events. It is my hope to return again.

I've read quite a lot of this thread and the bottom line is, home is where the heart is. Mine is in the U.S. because, well, basically, I was born and raised here and enjoy a full life with a large extended family. After all, isn't that why most people put down roots anywhere ... or not pull up roots? There is much to boast about each country, however, for me it is not a competition ... just a matter of personal choice. If an American wants to pull up roots and move to Australia for good ... more power to them! And vice versa. It is not easy to pull up stakes and make such a bold move. It doesn't make either of them anti/pro one or the other.

Actually I am well traveled, given the small size of my wallet and limited time! Um, I have enjoyed 4 weeks vacation each year along with some extra days here and there for the past 5 years.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:43 PM

279 posts, read 674,835 times
Couldn't agree with you more Audrey Ann. It's not a competition, it's a preference. I grew up in Australia but moved to the States. I needed a change in my life, was sick of the Australian way of life and wanted some adventure. Didn't have much to uproot so I did, to Colorado. I love it here, living in the Rockys, snow at Christmas, watching the deer and moose wander through my property. My preference is definitely the USA. Living the Colorado dream....

Old 11-20-2008, 05:02 PM

Thanks Minx.

On a side note in this thread, I spent about 5 weeks in Colorado. Have relatives in Colorado Springs and from there traveled to Boulder, Denver, Vail, Aspen (loved the drive along the continental divide) - swam in a rock lake at the top of a mountain ... and then fished in it!! Took the 'scenic' route to Breckenridge IN A LARGE VAN!! Walked across that suspension bridge over the rapids and am not a fan of heights. Bought property to build a home there ... but sold it some years later cause I'm just a Jersey Girl at heart. Also while there, took a side trip to Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Oh, my husband and I along with our friends in Australia climbed the Harbor Bridge at night! What a view!!! The views of the harbor from Taronga(sp?) Zoo are stunning!

Do you still maintain an Aussie accent?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:04 PM

What does "she be right" phrase/expression mean?

Old 11-20-2008, 08:18 PM

279 posts, read 674,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey Ann View Post
Thanks Minx.

On a side note in this thread, I spent about 5 weeks in Colorado. Have relatives in Colorado Springs and from there traveled to Boulder, Denver, Vail, Aspen (loved the drive along the continental divide) - swam in a rock lake at the top of a mountain ... and then fished in it!! Took the 'scenic' route to Breckenridge IN A LARGE VAN!! Walked across that suspension bridge over the rapids and am not a fan of heights. Bought property to build a home there ... but sold it some years later cause I'm just a Jersey Girl at heart. Also while there, took a side trip to Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Oh, my husband and I along with our friends in Australia climbed the Harbor Bridge at night! What a view!!! The views of the harbor from Taronga(sp?) Zoo are stunning!

Do you still maintain an Aussie accent?
So you're a Jersey Girl......my fiancee is also a Jersey Girl. She grew up there but recently moved to Colorado which is where we met. I'm trying to get the "Jersey" out of "Girl" but it's not going to work......We live in Grand Lake which is right on the western entrance of the Rocky Mountain National Park.

Yep, still got the Aussie accent. Fiancee loves it (don't know why) but I think I'm slowly converting...

Old 11-21-2008, 04:55 AM

Why? Because some Aussie accents (in men - Hugh Jackman!) are quite sexy sounding! Don't convert!

My German tutor (born and raised in Germany) was traveling in the south with her british husband (born and raised in London) and the southerns thought, from her accent, that she was a New Yorker!

I was told that in Colorado most people are transplants. We could see why! It is a beautiful state.

I wish more people from different parts of the world would stop 'competing' about how much better one place is over another, and just appreciate what each brings - its own quality.

I think I could live in Australia and be quite content, but mostly because I try to remain open to my surroundings and adopt its ways.

We drove thru a small town on our way to and from Breckenridge - if you sneezed! you missed it!

Old 11-21-2008, 08:27 AM

347 posts, read 1,359,295 times
Quote:
This is a classic example of the general attitude, as mentioned by others in the other Australia/USA thread.

It means "I have absolutely no idea of how to resolve the issue, and I couldn't be bothered in trying to help you out".

Old 11-21-2008, 07:42 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,044,303 times
Quote:
Everything will be fine.. no need to worry..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand