Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 02:18 AM

200 posts, read 1,008,734 times

Advertisements

The distance isssue with Australia is compensated for by the fact your average worker gets 4 weeks holiday per year whearas in the US they only get 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 7,530 times
Australia.. mate Australia....definitely Australia. Though I've not got Australian residency after finishing my masters degree at Melbourne and got US green card afterward, I still love Australia and really give thanks to the Aussie and British people for making such a crime free, relaxed, livable, beautiful country like Australia in the world. Even though I haven't got Australian PR, it cannot change my feeling for Australia. USA is good only for accepting and giving residency to rejected people like me. I love Australia too much that's why may be I am staying away from Australia for not making there mess.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevil View Post
Having lived in both Australia and US, here are my personal experiences.
Note: I am a citizen of Australia by naturalization. After living in Australia for 3 years I got fed up and moved to the US. This was 2 years back.

I immigrated to Australia on the General Skilled Migration program and got my Permanent Resident visa in my country of origin before I went there. I work in the IT industry and have lived and worked in 3 different countries before moving to Australia and finally the US.
I lived in metropolitan Melbourne, (both in the CBD and inner suburbs) for all the 3 years I was there.

Here are my personal experiences:
General outlook of Australians towards "outsiders" (outsider = anyone who is not white):
1. Unless you are white, you are looked upon as "another one of those immigrants who is trying to take our jobs and is living on our welfare".
Note: Australia stopped giving out Centrelink (welfare) payments to new immigrants long back, there is a 2 year wait for that now.
In the US - people are more friendly irrespective of my color.

2. The media (both print and radio) makes a hype of anyone who is not an Australian by birth. It is common to read/hear the news saying "An Italian man was caught while ...." or "A Greek man was found doing ...", but when an Australian is convicted, the news doesnt say "An Australian man was found guilty of ...."
In the US - never heard this bias.

3. Australians love to stereotype people.
It is common to hear the following stereotypes:
All Chinese are considered as working and living in a noodle bar.
All Indians are considered as taxi drivers.
All Americans are considered as fat lazy idiots.
All British are worshipped.

4. Ignorance is rife: I have been told plenty of times "You are not white but you seem to speak English" or "I am surprised you have been in Australia only 3 years and you speak English" or "Do the teachers in your country come from the UK?"
In the US - never experienced this, and everyone seems to understand my accent or at least makes an effort to do so.

5. In all my 3 years in metropolitan Melbourne, I experienced this at least once a month. You walk on the street (even in the daytime) and you see people passing by in cars shouting "AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!" at you. I asked one of my local colleagues, he said it is an anti immigrant thing.
I never experienced this imbecile behaviour anywhere else in the other 4 countries I have lived in.

Real Estate:
1. It is a joke. Apartments are owned by individuals in a building and they all charge rent according to what they feel is right. I remember living in an
apartment with 16 units, and we were paying $1100 a month which was $320 more per month than the one exactly below us (exactly same size rooms).
Two of the units got sold within a month of each other, one for $378,000 and one for $435,000 !!! The older a house gets, the more it appreciates. So if you get a brand new house for say $250,000, you may find the house next door which was built 60 years ago selling for $450,000+, even though it is crumbling and looks like the next gust of wind will blow it down.

2. The last place I lived, it cost $1100 a month for a 2 bedroom house (the second bedroom could not even fit in a queen size bed), no central heating or air conditioning, no dishwasher, no kitchen appliances, and all maintenance requests got a reply "the landlord has had a lot of bills this month, they will address your request next month". And guess what, next month never comes.
In the US - I pay the same, but my apartment has central heating and air conditioning, dishwasher, all kitchen appliances, a health club with spa and
swimming pool and landscaped lawns with a lake and fountains.
For maintenance, I make a single phone call, and by the time I get home from work the problem is fixed and a satisfaction survey is lying on my kitchen table.

Medical System:
1. Absolutely the worst of all the places i have been in. If you dont pay for private health insurance, then you have to wait too long as ViralMD posted earlier. Private health insurance costs a lot lot more in Australia than in the US, and they only reimburse a percentage, not all of the expenses, even if you go to the doctors in their network.

2. Australian doctors seem to know the cure for any and all kinds of illnesses. This great wonder is called Panadol (paracetamol tablets).
You fall sick, you have panadol. Your eyes water, you take panadol. Your nose itches, you take panadol. You get a rash on your skin, you take panadol. You get sun burnt, you take panadol. And you have to wait 45 minutes to see the doctor who finally tells you to go take a panadol.

3. A supposedly well known Ob/Gyn in Melbourne CBD advised my wife that it is perfectly safe to start having babies after the age of 35 !!

Technology:
Australia is way behind the rest of the world when it comes to technology. Any kind of electronic gadgets are available in Australia about 6 months after they are available in the rest of the world. It is common to see people still using dial up internet, and wireless internet is almost non-existent.

Infrastructure:
I moved house twice, and the first time it took 12 days to get a phone and DSL internet connection. The second time it took 58 days to connect the phone and another 19 days to get the DSL internet, even though I moved from the suburbs to within 5 km of the CBD. Same national carrier, and both places already had the phone lines and wall jacks, etc. Truly appalling.

Cars:
The average car is about 15 years old. Almost everybody buys a beaten up used car, or they are inherited from family. Used cars that are driven between 200,000 and 250,000 kms are considered as "low kms driven" and sell for only $3,000 to $5,000 less than the price when new. Car insurance costs a lot ($1800 a year for a 2006 Toyota Corolla in Australia compared to $1100 a year for a Chevy Tahoe here in the US - this is what I paid there and what I am paying here now) and goes up each year, regardless of whether you have made a claim or not.

General Living:
It is impossible to go out for dinner on Mondays and Tuesdays because all the restaurants are closed!! Most of the supermarkets only work till 5 PM even on weekends but are open till 9 PM on Thu-Fri. Even in tourist destination it is hard to find a restaurant open on Mon-Tue. It is impossible to get pizza in the day time.

Vacations/Motels:
I paid $240 a night in a place near Melbourne in a very poorly maintained motel which didnt have a remote for the TV.
In the US - I have lived in motels and paid as low as $70 a night and they were great value for money.

Hygiene:
Permanent water restrictions are in effect in Melbourne (and possibly the rest of Australia as well) which restricts by law the amount of water you can use. All the Men's public toilets in Melbourne (including the ones in shopping malls, movie theatres, etc) do not flush!!! They just use a product called propygate or something which I believe is nothing but an odor remover and there are signs posted in toilets saying "Flushing is not required"

Moral of the story:
US gets a thumbs up and Australia gets two thumbs down.
I dont mind going to Australia for tourism, but I would never think of moving back there.
I welcome objections to what I have written from my personal experiences.

Look, I think you have not become used to USA yet. If Aus is bad in your eyes I dont know what you'll think about USA. You said about tech, that is far advanced in finland then USA, thise are actually comperative things. main thing is living standard, where people can live life easily.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by souv View Post
Look, I think you have not become used to USA yet. If Aus is bad in your eyes I dont know what you'll think about USA. You said about tech, that is far advanced in finland then USA, thise are actually comperative things. main thing is living standard, where people can live life easily.
Yeah well I think DDevil's comments were absolute garbage. Supermarkets in Melbourne are 24 hours a day. There are plenty of restaurants open on Monday and Tuesday. And I reckon Melbourne's restaurants are among the best in the world.

As for ignorance, give me a break, I was in the states a couple of months ago and was told the Govenor of California comes from my country originally. I came across people who didn't know Australians spoke English. Asked if we kept kangaroos as pets. I'm not saying all Americans, just that ignorance exists there. All in all, Australian are better travelled than Americans. That's just a fact.

Absolute garbage what he said about the internet. Australia was on broadband before the UK was. Major products like I phone etc are released simultaneously world wide.

Absolutely nothing this guy says is true from my experience of living in Melbourne. Especially since most of my friends in Melbourne are immigrants.

eg. When I went back ;;ast christmas my Chinese friend friend through a barbie with her Irish boyfriend. At the Barbie there were Indians, other chinese, Italians, Greeks, Sri Lankans, and even a few Aussies. That's the Melbourne I know.

As for the health system, I know people who have had very good experiences in Oz and bad in the US and vice versa.

As for water restrictions, I've never experienced anything that he was talking about the public toilets. Having lived in Oz for over 30 years every public toilet I went to flushed. But yes there are water restrictions. Hello. water is precious. There are water restrictions in parts of the states as well. And there will need to be in other parts otherwise they are going to be in trouble. I actually veiw it as a positive that they are doing something about it.

I want to make it clear I really like America. San Diego would be the 2nd place I would live in the world next to Melbourne. Just refuting what I perceive to be absurd claims.

Last edited by billsaintkilda; 07-27-2008 at 03:12 AM..

Old 07-27-2008, 07:07 PM

22 posts, read 147,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikala View Post
In America YES we do have public healthcare it's called Medicare. Maybe you should try to atleast google this topic before saying "in the us there is no public heatlthcover australia atleast u can get cover".

Actually, unless I am mistaken you are only eligible if you are either a) disabled or b) over 65 (feel free to prove this is wrong, I'm happy to understand the facts).

I just went through their site and filled in the online questionnaire (as if I was living in the US without insurance from an employer) and it told me this:

"You will be eligible for Medicare Part A and B on December 1, 2041."

The list of requirements are listed here but generally you need to be over 65. I hardly call this 'public' as most people I know are not over age 65.

Medicare.gov - Medicare Eligibility Tool (General Enrollment)

So how does this compare to the Australian system?? Where EVERYONE regardless of age, health conditions, employment, etc can get free basic healthcare. I'm sorry but the 2 systems don't even compare.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:03 PM

42 posts, read 130,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akka View Post
How do Australia & USA compare as places to live, prosper and raise a family? Which would you choose? Considering lifestyle, career scope, taxes, real estate, etc, etc, etc ....

I would prefer US, the kind of opportunity one gets there is amazing..

Old 07-28-2008, 11:07 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,958,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by souv View Post
Australia.. mate Australia....definitely Australia. Though I've not got Australian residency after finishing my masters degree at Melbourne and got US green card afterward, I still love Australia and really give thanks to the Aussie and British people for making such a crime free, relaxed, livable, beautiful country like Australia in the world. Even though I haven't got Australian PR, it cannot change my feeling for Australia. USA is good only for accepting and giving residency to rejected people like me. I love Australia too much that's why may be I am staying away from Australia for not making there mess.
By all means...Get Permanent Residency!, As you'll be warmly welcomed by us Aussies.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:43 PM

347 posts, read 1,358,582 times
[quote=souv;4614712]
Quote:
Look, I think you have not become used to USA yet. If Aus is bad in your eyes I dont know what you'll think about USA.
Well, i spent about 3 yrs in Melbourne and about the same time in the US.
Maybe you made the above statement based on YOUR experience.

Quote:
You said about tech, that is far advanced in finland then USA, thise are actually comperative things.
Maybe Finland is more advanced than the US in terms of technology, I dont know, not been there yet.
So whats your point? This topic is about US/Australia, so why does Finland come into discussion

Quote:
main thing is living standard, where people can live life easily
And comparing US/Australia, I say US is better.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
I wrote my opinions, you write yours, this is a public forum.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-28-2008 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 07-28-2008, 03:10 PM

991 posts, read 1,771,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosd View Post
Actually, unless I am mistaken you are only eligible if you are either a) disabled or b) over 65 (feel free to prove this is wrong, I'm happy to understand the facts).

I just went through their site and filled in the online questionnaire (as if I was living in the US without insurance from an employer) and it told me this:

"You will be eligible for Medicare Part A and B on December 1, 2041."

The list of requirements are listed here but generally you need to be over 65. I hardly call this 'public' as most people I know are not over age 65.

Medicare.gov - Medicare Eligibility Tool (General Enrollment)

So how does this compare to the Australian system?? Where EVERYONE regardless of age, health conditions, employment, etc can get free basic healthcare. I'm sorry but the 2 systems don't even compare.
Yes its a common misconception that the US has no public healthcare. It is correct that unlike Australia it does not have universal health insurance. That is under the Australian system an eligible person (which is a lot of people) have access without costs to themselves to medical services (not including dental services).

In the United States they have public healthcare where you can be treated at a public hospital for a fee or in certain situations the fee can be waived by the provider. Medicare and Medicaid are public health insurance programs which assist with the payment of such fees and allow for access to the private healthcare system.

Another common misconception is ignorance - both Australians and Americans (or any country) have their fair share of people who have little or no knowledge about countries other than their own. America in a sense is at a "disadvantage" in this respect as for many generations Americans could travel and have truly different experiences just by travelling to different states and cities. There is greater diversity (both in the white and non-white population) than Australia.

As for taxes, there is more taxation in the US (Australia long ago did away with the ability for states to levy income tax) but as an overall percentage they are pretty even at the lower rates and more favourable to a higher income earner in the US.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:05 AM

On the ignorance issue. I think the US has more extremes than probably anywhere. You actually meet more people in the US than who are extremely well informed. But you also meet meet a higher percentage of people who have an appalling knowledge of the world. You meet people in the US who are aware of different regimes in Africa and South America which you don't meet as much of in Oz or the UK. On the hand I've never met anyone in the UK who doesn't know where Australia is which is actually not uncommon in the States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand