Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:07 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,813 times

Advertisements

moonshadow,

1. I don't know where you worked or where you lived but please don't generalize about the attitudes of the people in this country based on your negative experience.
When did I say I had a negative experience? The OP wanted to know where would one prefer to live, and I compared my experiences in US vs Australia.

2. I've NEVER heard the media say "an Italian man was caught or a Greek man was found doing" UNLESS they were in fact Italian or Greek and the police where hunting for them and therefore give a description. Actually I've never heard the media apply any bias about a person's heritage but then I generally only get my news and information from reputable sources.
Oh, really? Login to your yahoo.com.au email account today and see for yourself.
And what is the point of giving a description based on heritage when Australia is supposed to be multi cultural and diverse and has a lot of immigrants and what not?

3. Item 3 on your list is just plain offensive and reeks of your own bias and stereotypes and I'd go so far to say that I've rarely if EVER heard the "common" stereotypes you list. I'm starting to wonder if you're just making things up now.
Yes, they are offensive and they are what I heard people talking while I was in Australia. These are not my bias and not made up. Look in other Australian forums if you want.

4. If you have an accent and people ask you where you're from, why is that such a big deal?
I never said anything about people questioning my accent. Read carefully. I said some people were so ignorant they didnt know that English is spoken in other parts of the world. And friend, I am not the only one with an accent. You have an accent as well.

REAL ESTATE
If you don't like where you live and you're not happy with your rental agreement and maintenance contract then there are avenues you can pursue but ultimately you made the decision to enter into the contract.
"Ultimately you made the decision to enter into the contract." Huh?? You think I lived there, had my maintenance requests ignored and then signed the contract? Dont you know you sign a contract before you move in?

MEDICAL SYSTEM
2. If you're going to walk in off the street with an illness, and see any doctor in a busy clinic and accept when they send you away advocating panadol as the answer then I'm not really sure that you should expect anything else.
So you think I walk in off the street with an illness and see a doctor. What is this assumption based on? A few of my friends experienced this life saving advice of panadol too.

3. If you didn't agree with the OB/GYN and you're not planning on taking their advice anyway why is this even an issue? ... If you and your wife had already decided that it was dangerous to have a first pregancy after the age of 35 why on earth were you even at the OB/GYN???? Obviously you didn't need one and weren't going to be agreeing with what they had to say anyway.
This is an issue because a majority of doctors agree that it dangerous to have babies after the age of 35. I didnt understand your question about why we were at the Ob/Gyn.

Technology:
Perhaps we're just not as obsessed with electronic gadgetry as the rest of the world because there's other things to do like getting outside and enjoying the environment?
So you mean to say that the developing countries are not technologically advanced, not because they are developing, but because they like getting outside nad enjoying the environment. Nice.

Infrastructure:
No truly appaling is when people continue whining about things that really aren't that important in the general scheme of things when there are bigger injustices going on in the world and they refuse to do their homework on a company. So you had to wait for your internet and phone connection a little longer than anticipated? I really wouldn't have thought that would matter to you anyway on account our technology is so far behind the times! Surely with your love of gadgetry you had a mobile phone anyway?????

Waiting so long is hardly "a little longer". Yes, I had a mobile phone, and that doesnt need a love of gadgetry, I hardly know anyone who doesnt have one. Read carefully again. I am talking about DSL which I could get only if i had a home phone line (another "only in Australia" thing).

And frankly it sounds again, like you didn't do your homework and get the best insurance deal available because I don't know anyone paying the kind of premium that you are paying.
I pay high premium because insurance is calculated based on your history. Every time you shift countries, you start at near the lowest rating. I was not whining that I could not afford insurance . I was comparing the prices saying that I paid much more for a Corolla that I pay now for my big truck.

GENERAL LIVING:
Yes, I am sure I was living in Melbourne. Supermarkets open 24x7 is news to me. Did it happen recently after I left?

VACATIONS/MOTELS

Again with the not happy and didn't address the situation at the time. What's with that anyway? If you got the motel and didn't like it WHY stay there and whinge about it afterwards? I just don't get it???

You drive a few hours to go for a vacation. You book your hotel online based on what they say they offer. You choose a little higher rate thinking it will be better than the cheapest one in the area. Or do you expect someone to drive down, look at motels, book one, come back, then go for a vacation?
And even if you are not happy, do they let you go without paying? Or do they just say "Its a shame. Thats never happened before". Or can you advise how you address the situation?

HYGIENE

Um it's called a drought, you might have heard of those? Of course there's water restrictions. You take your life into your own hands going to a public toilet anywhere in the world. I'm glad you haven't been to Bali!!

Yes, I have been there, and they do flush

MORAL OF THE STORY???

You didn't like it here I get that, and clearly your expectations did not meet the reality for YOU.

Wrong. I didnt say I didnt like it there or anything about my expectations. If you read my post, it was a comparison between my experiences in the US vs in Australia.

I find it interesting though that you're still prepared to come back to such a backward, heinous place for holidays!
I did not say the whole place is backward. I said backward in terms of technology. When did i say it is a heinous place? And yes, I would definitely visit because Australia has some good holiday destinations. I would like to visit there, but not consider living back there again.

AND despite hating the place, bad mouthing it in a great long diatribe and moving to the other side of the world where clearly you're much happier, you've maintained your Australian citizenship. What's the deal with that?
I dont hate the place and neither was I bad mouthing. I was writing about my experiences. You took it in that sense. I have "maintained my Australian citizenship" (whatever maintaining a citizenship means) because it costs $240 per head to renounce it

It's a real shame you've not enjoyed your Australian experience and I hope you'll welcome my objections in the spirit they're given.
Again, you got me wrong. I didnt say I didnt enjoy, I was comparing my experiences in US to Australia, which is the main topic of this thread.

Again, I was not bad mouthing, offending or spreading hatred. Maybe i should have made a number of smaller posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 03:22 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevil View Post
Having lived in both Australia and US, here are my personal experiences.
Note: I am a citizen of Australia by naturalization. After living in Australia for 3 years I got fed up and moved to the US. This was 2 years back.

I immigrated to Australia on the General Skilled Migration program and got my Permanent Resident visa in my country of origin before I went there. I work in the IT industry and have lived and worked in 3 different countries before moving to Australia and finally the US.
I lived in metropolitan Melbourne, (both in the CBD and inner suburbs) for all the 3 years I was there.

Here are my personal experiences:
General outlook of Australians towards "outsiders" (outsider = anyone who is not white):
1. Unless you are white, you are looked upon as "another one of those immigrants who is trying to take our jobs and is living on our welfare".
Note: Australia stopped giving out Centrelink (welfare) payments to new immigrants long back, there is a 2 year wait for that now.
In the US - people are more friendly irrespective of my color.

2. The media (both print and radio) makes a hype of anyone who is not an Australian by birth. It is common to read/hear the news saying "An Italian man was caught while ...." or "A Greek man was found doing ...", but when an Australian is convicted, the news doesnt say "An Australian man was found guilty of ...."
In the US - never heard this bias.

3. Australians love to stereotype people.
It is common to hear the following stereotypes:
All Chinese are considered as working and living in a noodle bar.
All Indians are considered as taxi drivers.
All Americans are considered as fat lazy idiots.
All British are worshipped.

4. Ignorance is rife: I have been told plenty of times "You are not white but you seem to speak English" or "I am surprised you have been in Australia only 3 years and you speak English" or "Do the teachers in your country come from the UK?"
In the US - never experienced this, and everyone seems to understand my accent or at least makes an effort to do so.

5. In all my 3 years in metropolitan Melbourne, I experienced this at least once a month. You walk on the street (even in the daytime) and you see people passing by in cars shouting "AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!" at you. I asked one of my local colleagues, he said it is an anti immigrant thing.
I never experienced this imbecile behaviour anywhere else in the other 4 countries I have lived in.

Real Estate:
1. It is a joke. Apartments are owned by individuals in a building and they all charge rent according to what they feel is right. I remember living in an
apartment with 16 units, and we were paying $1100 a month which was $320 more per month than the one exactly below us (exactly same size rooms).
Two of the units got sold within a month of each other, one for $378,000 and one for $435,000 !!! The older a house gets, the more it appreciates. So if you get a brand new house for say $250,000, you may find the house next door which was built 60 years ago selling for $450,000+, even though it is crumbling and looks like the next gust of wind will blow it down.

2. The last place I lived, it cost $1100 a month for a 2 bedroom house (the second bedroom could not even fit in a queen size bed), no central heating or air conditioning, no dishwasher, no kitchen appliances, and all maintenance requests got a reply "the landlord has had a lot of bills this month, they will address your request next month". And guess what, next month never comes.
In the US - I pay the same, but my apartment has central heating and air conditioning, dishwasher, all kitchen appliances, a health club with spa and
swimming pool and landscaped lawns with a lake and fountains.
For maintenance, I make a single phone call, and by the time I get home from work the problem is fixed and a satisfaction survey is lying on my kitchen table.

Medical System:
1. Absolutely the worst of all the places i have been in. If you dont pay for private health insurance, then you have to wait too long as ViralMD posted earlier. Private health insurance costs a lot lot more in Australia than in the US, and they only reimburse a percentage, not all of the expenses, even if you go to the doctors in their network.

2. Australian doctors seem to know the cure for any and all kinds of illnesses. This great wonder is called Panadol (paracetamol tablets).
You fall sick, you have panadol. Your eyes water, you take panadol. Your nose itches, you take panadol. You get a rash on your skin, you take panadol. You get sun burnt, you take panadol. And you have to wait 45 minutes to see the doctor who finally tells you to go take a panadol.

3. A supposedly well known Ob/Gyn in Melbourne CBD advised my wife that it is perfectly safe to start having babies after the age of 35 !!

Technology:
Australia is way behind the rest of the world when it comes to technology. Any kind of electronic gadgets are available in Australia about 6 months after they are available in the rest of the world. It is common to see people still using dial up internet, and wireless internet is almost non-existent.

Infrastructure:
I moved house twice, and the first time it took 12 days to get a phone and DSL internet connection. The second time it took 58 days to connect the phone and another 19 days to get the DSL internet, even though I moved from the suburbs to within 5 km of the CBD. Same national carrier, and both places already had the phone lines and wall jacks, etc. Truly appalling.

Cars:
The average car is about 15 years old. Almost everybody buys a beaten up used car, or they are inherited from family. Used cars that are driven between 200,000 and 250,000 kms are considered as "low kms driven" and sell for only $3,000 to $5,000 less than the price when new. Car insurance costs a lot ($1800 a year for a 2006 Toyota Corolla in Australia compared to $1100 a year for a Chevy Tahoe here in the US - this is what I paid there and what I am paying here now) and goes up each year, regardless of whether you have made a claim or not.

General Living:
It is impossible to go out for dinner on Mondays and Tuesdays because all the restaurants are closed!! Most of the supermarkets only work till 5 PM even on weekends but are open till 9 PM on Thu-Fri. Even in tourist destination it is hard to find a restaurant open on Mon-Tue. It is impossible to get pizza in the day time.

Vacations/Motels:
I paid $240 a night in a place near Melbourne in a very poorly maintained motel which didnt have a remote for the TV.
In the US - I have lived in motels and paid as low as $70 a night and they were great value for money.

Hygiene:
Permanent water restrictions are in effect in Melbourne (and possibly the rest of Australia as well) which restricts by law the amount of water you can use. All the Men's public toilets in Melbourne (including the ones in shopping malls, movie theatres, etc) do not flush!!! They just use a product called propygate or something which I believe is nothing but an odor remover and there are signs posted in toilets saying "Flushing is not required"

Moral of the story:
US gets a thumbs up and Australia gets two thumbs down.
I dont mind going to Australia for tourism, but I would never think of moving back there.
I welcome objections to what I have written from my personal experiences.
The above is pretty accurate. Although some of it is slightly outdated. Australia is above the US in one thing, cell phones. Everyone seems to have the newest phone possible.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:50 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,285 times
Where did the "All British Are Worshipped" part come from?

I've never heard an Aussie say that!

Yes, We respect the British! However, If you consider our history, We probably shouldn't?...The British, Are in no way "Worshipped"!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:01 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
DDevil

Hold on to your hat! We've created a monster!

Quote:
1. When did I say I had a negative experience? The OP wanted to know where would one prefer to live, and I compared my experiences in US vs Australia.
Perhaps it was the gratuitous use of unhappy and angry emoticons? Or maybe it was what I perceived as biased anecdotal evidence you provided in order to justify your negative opinions of the WHOLE population?
My point was and still is, I think you are incorrect in what you are saying with regard to the general outlook of Australians toward "outsiders".
My time in Belgium wasn't particularly pleasant but I don't attribute a whole plethora of negative stereotypes about the country based on my experience.

Quote:
2.Oh, really? Login to your yahoo.com.au email account today and see for yourself.
Did I not say that I prefer getting my news and information from more reputable sources? yahoo.com is not what I would consider a reputable source and therefore the news reported there is very easily dimissed in my opinion. If you'd like to take it as a true representation of news and current affairs there's nothing I can say that will sway you.
Quote:
And what is the point of giving a description based on heritage when Australia is supposed to be multi cultural and diverse and has a lot of immigrants and what not?
I'm really not sure what you're getting at here. Why would you not include as much identifying information as possible in order to find an offender? The purpose of giving a description is so that potential witnesses or those who recognize the description given will come forward. So if the person wanted in connection with the crime is 4ft tall and purple with orange hair then I guess they need to say that in order for people to know who they're looking for. What preconceived ideas and stereotypes would you attribute to the Australian population if you heard such a description? That Australians are prejudiced against clowns or carni folk? It's exactly because we are multicultural that it makes good sense to include things like "of southern european/asian/anglo saxon **insert whatever other ethnicity you like here** appearance" to the description. It has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with finding the offender, narrowing down the demographic. As far as I'm aware it's fairly standard procedure right around the world. People look different, people are different, so what?

Quote:
Yes, they are offensive and they are what I heard people talking while I was in Australia. These are not my bias and not made up. Look in other Australian forums if you want.
Again, you are attributing the attitudes of a whole population based on some anectodal conversations you overheard. Hardly a reputable source. When I am overseas and have experienced negative comment or offensive behaviour from an individual I do not attribute the attitudes of the whole country as being the same as the person I am dealing with. In short, if you think someone is being racist, for starters you may or may not be correct, (don't forget we filter things through our own experience) but even supposing yes, they are, why not consider the fact that it might just be their uninformed, uneducated opinion, their bad behaviour? WHY decide that if one person is being this way then EVERYONE must be?
Oh and I think we've already established that I prefer my information from reputable sources, "other Australian forums" doesn't qualify. It would be like me going to an American forum, reading some of the ridiculous comments that I'm quite sure one can find there and deciding that America is a bad, bad, place and I should avoid it. That's not going to happen. I always consider the quality of the source.

Quote:
4. I never said anything about people questioning my accent. Read carefully. I said some people were so ignorant they didnt know that English is spoken in other parts of the world.
I read carefully. I always read carefully. And as you now know I'm very selective about my information sources.

You said:

Ignorance is rife: I have been told plenty of times "You are not white but you seem to speak English" or "I am surprised you have been in Australia only 3 years and you speak English" or "Do the teachers in your country come from the UK?"
In the US - never experienced this, and everyone seems to understand my accent or at least makes an effort to do so.

Now you're saying only some people are ignorant, so I guess it's not rife then? And I'm not understanding but in the US you have an accent that people understand or are making an effort to do so but in Australia when people compliment you on your command of the English language and make some granted, fairly off hand comments, they are clearly ignorant and racist? My point is ddevil, if you're not white and you do speak English very well and someone comments on that they may or may not be being racist. They may just be wanting to know a little bit more about you because you and they are different. I don't know I wasn't there, but I'm hoping you engaged in conversation a little longer before you decided that they were racist and I wish you hadn't then decided based on those people that we all are. I'm just saying that people aren't always going to speak to you the way you would like or even understand sometimes but if you don't make the effort to clarify and dismiss them too quickly based on your own assumptions, you're going to miss out on a lot of good people.

Quote:
And friend, I am not the only one with an accent. You have an accent as well.
HA! I have a standard response when people comment on my "cute Aussie accent". I don't have an accent! You're the one with the accent!
I must say though, when I was travelling around Europe I was appalled at just how "Aussie" I sounded! It was like I'd suddenly morphed into Kath and Kim! I spent a great deal of time speaking quieter, and slower and rounding out my vowels which was exhausting! But I'm sure my voice coach would have been thrilled with my efforts!
We all have accents, I'm more than happy to answer questions about mine. If people want to attribute a poor character to me or some other bias based on their perceptions that's their problem.

Quote:
REAL ESTATE
"Ultimately you made the decision to enter into the contract." Huh?? You think I lived there, had my maintenance requests ignored and then signed the contract? Dont you know you sign a contract before you move in?
No. I said that ultimately you are the one that decided you wanted to live there and signed the contract. I made the comment in reference to the complaint you made about there being different rents charged throughout the building. A free market dictates that landlords can charge what they like. If you don't want to pay that much, don't sign. As it turned out you weren't happy with the handling of the maintenance requests that's why I said there are other avenues you can pursue if what you signed for and what the landlord is delivering is not the same thing. Happened with the first rental property I was in too. A few conversations with the Tenancy Tribunal sorted the situation out fairly quickly and whenever I'm looking at rental properties I try to assertain, with a little homework where I can, if the rent that is being listed for the property I'm interested in is the same as others in the building. If I discover it's higher, I negotiate a better deal or don't sign.

Quote:
MEDICAL SYSTEM
So you think I walk in off the street with an illness and see a doctor. What is this assumption based on? A few of my friends experienced this life saving advice of panadol too.
Well I based the assumption on you saying:

Australian doctors seem to know the cure for any and all kinds of illnesses. This great wonder is called Panadol (paracetamol tablets).

I figured if you were speaking about Australian doctors as a group then you must have seen a lot of them, that and if you're prepared to walk out again having been told to take panadol without questioning it, then it sounds like you don't have a regular doctor. You're not going to give me grief about making an assumption are you? Not after I've spent all this time trying to clarify all the ones you've presented?

Quote:
This is an issue because a majority of doctors agree that it dangerous to have babies after the age of 35. I didnt understand your question about why we were at the Ob/Gyn.
It's not dangerous to have babies after the age of 35, it's just more likely a woman will have complications after the age of 35, that's what many doctors agree on. Obviously not all. If you and your wife choose not to have babies after the age of 35, and your OB/GYN doesn't have a problem with it, then it sounds like you've got the wrong OB/GYN for you. Just because you don't agree with him doesn't mean he's wrong. Of course my friends that have all delivered healthy babies in their late 30s and early 40s wouldn't agree with you.

Quote:
Technology:
So you mean to say that the developing countries are not technologically advanced, not because they are developing, but because they like getting outside nad enjoying the environment. Nice.
Huh???

Quote:
Infrastructure:
Waiting so long is hardly "a little longer". Yes, I had a mobile phone, and that doesnt need a love of gadgetry, I hardly know anyone who doesnt have one. Read carefully again. I am talking about DSL which I could get only if i had a home phone line (another "only in Australia" thing).
I know plenty of people in countries all around the world that don't have a mobile phone. I'm sorry, I don't even really understand this complaint. It's just not that big a deal to me. Obviously it is to you.

Quote:
I pay high premium because insurance is calculated based on your history. Every time you shift countries, you start at near the lowest rating. I was not whining that I could not afford insurance . I was comparing the prices saying that I paid much more for a Corolla that I pay now for my big truck.
Yeah, ok I understand what you're saying here but are you in a comparable city statistically speaking in terms of auto theft? Premiums are based on that.

Quote:
GENERAL LIVING:
Yes, I am sure I was living in Melbourne. Supermarkets open 24x7 is news to me. Did it happen recently after I left?
Not that I'm aware of. It's been that way where I am for a long time.

Quote:
VACATIONS/MOTELS
You drive a few hours to go for a vacation. You book your hotel online based on what they say they offer. You choose a little higher rate thinking it will be better than the cheapest one in the area. Or do you expect someone to drive down, look at motels, book one, come back, then go for a vacation?
And even if you are not happy, do they let you go without paying? Or do they just say "Its a shame. Thats never happened before". Or can you advise how you address the situation?
Ok well I've recently come back from a stay in Sydney were I booked the hotel online and was highly unimpressed with it from the minute I walked through the door. It stunk and the room was no bigger than a broom closet. What they offered online and the reality were very different. There was no way I was paying $200 to stay there. I immediately began ringing around the area I was in for somewhere more suitable and was fortunate enough to be able to go there that night. Whenever I go to a hotel I always ask to see the room before I check in and if it's not suitable or it's not what I asked for or it doesn't match what I thought I was booking from online, then I discuss that with them BEFORE I agree to stay there. Certainly if I'd been in your situation and there was no other alternative accommadation I would have queried the bill. You are the customer after all.

Quote:
HYGIENE:
Yes, I have been there, and they do flush
You're lucky!! There were some horrific looking excuses for toilets when I was there! I even carried tissues and dettol in my rucksack!!

Quote:
MORAL OF THE STORY.

Wrong. I didnt say I didnt like it there or anything about my expectations. If you read my post, it was a comparison between my experiences in the US vs in Australia.
Well that's certainly not the impression I got from your post and I think your comparisons were unreasonable. That's all I was trying to point out.
Much of what you've attributed to Australia and Australians can happen anywhere in the world, not to mention that I think maybe you've jumped the gun on a few occassions

Quote:
I did not say the whole place is backward. I said backward in terms of technology. When did i say it is a heinous place? And yes, I would definitely visit because Australia has some good holiday destinations. I would like to visit there, but not consider living back there again.
Well I don't think that's accurate either really. There's more than enough technology and gadgetry in this country but obviously you'd prefer more is all but then the whole argument is kinda lost on me anyway because they're just not that important in my life.
I certainly got the impression from your post that you didn't like it here.

Quote:
I dont hate the place and neither was I bad mouthing. I was writing about my experiences. You took it in that sense. I have "maintained my Australian citizenship" (whatever maintaining a citizenship means) because it costs $240 per head to renounce it
Well if you're going to continue being an Australian citizen do me a favor and try and give a bit more of a fair go when discussing your country and its people with others? Because that's what Australian citizenship means. I took it that you were much happier in the States and that things that you've attributed as being bad about Australia don't happen in the States as if these bad experiences are uniquely Australian, I don't agree. I think that much of what you've attributed as bad to Australia can happen anywhere, hence me responding in the first place.

Quote:
Again, you got me wrong. I didnt say I didnt enjoy, I was comparing my experiences in US to Australia, which is the main topic of this thread. Again, I was not bad mouthing, offending or spreading hatred.
Yeah, fair enough if you're not bad mouthing but I'm glad you've clarified that. But as the main topic of the thread is the US compared to Australia I am simply pointing out that I think many of your comparisons are unfair and biased, if that wasn't your intention well fair enough but again much of what you've attributed to Australia can happen anywhere.

Quote:
Maybe i should have made a number of smaller posts
DDevil, I swear this ginormous post of yours that I've replied to twice now, is painful it's so big! A number of smaller posts would have been sooooo much better!

Last edited by moonshadow; 06-21-2008 at 10:12 AM..

Old 06-21-2008, 08:10 PM

104 posts, read 452,271 times
[quote=DDevil;4136026]

or telemarketers thats the main one thasts the only thing right in your whole post

All Americans are considered as fat lazy idiots.

no that is crap

All British are worshipped.

no, we hate the poms wherd you get that from
4. Ignorance is rife: I have been told plenty of times "You are not white but you seem to speak English" or "I am surprised you have been in Australia only 3 years and you speak English" or "Do the teachers in your country come from the UK?"

what accent do you have ?

Medical System:
1. Absolutely the worst of all the places i have been in. If you dont pay for private health insurance, then you have to wait too long as ViralMD posted earlier. Private health insurance costs a lot lot more in Australia than in the US, and they only reimburse a percentage, not all of the expenses, even if you go to the doctors in their network.

in the us there is no public heatlthcover australia atleast u can get cover.
2. Australian doctors seem to know the cure for any and all kinds of illnesses. This great wonder is called Panadol (paracetamol tablets).
You fall sick, you have panadol. Your eyes water, you take panadol. Your nose itches, you take panadol. You get a rash on your skin, you take panadol. You get sun burnt, you take panadol. And you have to wait 45 minutes to see the doctor who finally tells you to go take a panadol.

that is crap man what doctor did u have one that cant speakk english

Vacations/Motels:
I paid $240 a night in a place near Melbourne in a very poorly maintained motel which didnt have a remote for the TV.
In the US - I have lived in motels and paid as low as $70 a night and they were great value for money.

Hotels are $150 for a 4 star u must of picked a pretty bad motel

1. Unless you are white, you are looked upon as "another one of those immigrants who is trying to take our jobs and is living on our welfare".
Note: Australia stopped giving out Centrelink (welfare) payments to new immigrants long back, there is a 2 year wait for that now.
In the US - people are more friendly irrespective of my color.

what country were you originally from?

Last edited by ciggas; 06-21-2008 at 08:19 PM..

Old 06-21-2008, 08:23 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
Lived in both and love both! Perhaps the only two countries I would live in.

On a personal perspective - affordable living, good education, outdoorsy lifestyle, friendly people, good place to raise kids are my top 5 priorities and the biggest difference between both places is that they are the same size and yet Australia has about 20 million people and the United States 300 million people also as you know there are regional difference in the West, South, Midwest, North United States and also East, West and North Australia.

It all comes down to regional differences. I would live in Perth, Australia. Currently I live in my hometown of Colorado, U.S.A. Both have great outdoors life, also a distinct culture, being said the United States and Australia are diverse countries yet is it really a melting pot when you throw all kinds of people all together? It's a receipe for social dysfunction.

I chose Colorado, U.S.A. because it's my hometown, but when I was younger I almost didn't leave Australia and if I had some money saved up or some inheritance I might of chose to marry a good Aussie girl and settle down in Perth.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:28 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Where did the "All British Are Worshipped" part come from?

I've never heard an Aussie say that!

Yes, We respect the British! However, If you consider our history, We probably shouldn't?...The British, Are in no way "Worshipped"!
From my experience, it seemed regional, while perhaps Melbourne seemed more pro-British commonwealth, Sydney seemed less of, though being an American I couldn't really explain why I felt that way, we stuck it to the monarchy about 250 years back.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
From my experience, it seemed regional, while perhaps Melbourne seemed more pro-British commonwealth, Sydney seemed less of, though being an American I couldn't really explain why I felt that way, we stuck it to the monarchy about 250 years back.
We do? That's interesting given that Victoria is the site of the Eureka Stockade and what is considered by many as the birthplace of Australian democracy. I'm really curious Ranger, I know you said you couldn't explain why you felt that way but I'd like to hear your thoughts. It's not an impression I'd have ever considered, perhaps that's because I'm all for a republic and always very happy when we stick it to the monarchists?

Old 06-22-2008, 02:40 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
While Sydney is the birthplace of Australia. "Marvellous Melbourne" has always been the main Commerce, Industry and Culture centre. Your "Pro-British" feeling May stem from the fact, That During the 19th Century. Melbourne, Came to see itself, As Australia's eqivalent of London?

A view, That I think still exists, In the hearts of Melburnians?

I can assure you though, The "Poms" aren't worshipped, In any region of Australia! (Especially, When the Cricket or the Rugby starts up?)

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 06-22-2008 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 12:02 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,813 times
[quote=ciggas;4186857]
Quote:

or telemarketers thats the main one thasts the only thing right in your whole post
Thanks for agreeing that there IS a stereotype mentality in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggas View Post
that is crap man what doctor did u have one that cant speakk english
Thanks again for clarifying what I was talking about, ciggas.

You are so proud of being able to speak English, yet you have amazing spelling and grammar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand