Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:45 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,726,761 times

Advertisements

Being an american who has traveled to Sydney, I can say that it is truly a world class city. It was absolutely beautiful. I stayed there for 6 weeks and loved every minute of it.

It had so much to do in terms of entertainment, outdoors, food, etc.
I really loved everything about Australia as I made my way north to Port Douglas.

This, coming from an american who has lived all over the US from Miami to Philadelphia, Southern california to the Chicago.

Sydney....and brizzy for that matter stacked up rather nicely and dont have a bad thing to mention. In fact, I tell all my american friends how awesome Australia is.

If I had to immigrate somewhere, it would definitely be Australia. I would be one of those immigrants with the Australian flag waving on my car cuz I already love the country.. even tho I have no real attachment to it other than I had an amazing time during my visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 12:16 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,530,957 times
Living in city like New York might sound like fun, but at the end of the day its a major financial centre, unless you are a high income earner, you could end up living in some small flat a one hour commute from your work place, and pretty much spend your entire life working and travelling to and from work in an effort to try and live the high life you have always dreamed of. Ive got a couple of friends living in New York, and they hardley ever get the chance to see the city outside their local neighbourhood, or around their workplace.

It got stuck in this kind of cycle in London, which was my main reason for leaving.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-13-2012 at 01:06 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 12:51 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,194,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Living in city like New York might sound like fun, but at the end of the day its a major financial centre, unless you are a high income earner, you could end up living in some small flat a one hour commute from your work place, and pretty much spend your entire life working and travelling to and from work. Ive got a couple of friends living in New York, and they hardley ever get the chance to see the city outside their local neighbourhood, or around their workplace.

It got stuck in this kind of cycle in London, which was my main reason for leaving.
Life is pretty similar anywhere - if you work all the time. I find work tends to eat up so much of your free time, it dominates your existence.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:57 AM

4,250 posts, read 4,925,393 times
Quote:
Living in city like New York might sound like fun, but at the end of the day its a major financial centre, unless you are a high income earner, you could end up living in some small flat a one hour commute from your work place, and pretty much spend your entire life working and travelling to and from work in an effort to try and live the high life you have always dreamed of. Ive got a couple of friends living in New York, and they hardley ever get the chance to see the city outside their local neighbourhood, or around their workplace.

Yeah I agree.

I had a colleague whose was telling me his first day at HSBC in NY straight out of Uni went for 40 hours. Not my idea of fun.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 AM

201 posts, read 417,300 times
Quote:

Unfortunately... it's the same way here. Sydney is a very expensive city, easily as expensive as New York and London. If you want to be any where near the harbour, beaches and downtown, and not 45 minutes away from everything in western Sydney, you've got to work your arse off or be great at what you do.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 AM

This is why New South Wales has the countries largest loss of population to interstate migration.... people who have given up struggling to live well in Sydney and head off to Queensland. But overseas immigration more than makes up for it. For me, I'll deal with the cost of living, it beats going some place else.

Big-city life in Sydney is a real pain in the hip pocket | News.com.au
Quote:
Big-city life in Sydney is a real pain in the hip pocket

THE average Sydney family pays up to $5000 more a year for the same lifestyle as those on similar incomes in other Australian capitals.
Mortgages, rent, energy, transport, furnishings, food, recreation and even the internet are now officially more expensive, the first research of its kind, commissioned by The Daily Telegraph, reveals.
Now ranked as dearer than New York, Sydney's cost of living was found to be $100 more expensive a week than Adelaide, $60 more than Brisbane and $50 a week higher than Melbourne.
Immigration Minister Chris Bowen, the only western Sydney MP in federal cabinet, said he understood the pressure. "Sydney is a wonderful place to live but it does come at some cost," he said. "We do recognise that cost."

Sydney now seventh most expensive city
Quote:

Sydney is now the seventh most expensive place to live in the world, a report says. Oslo, Zurich, Geneva, Copenhagen, Stockholm and Tokyo are the only cities with higher living costs, according to financial services firm UBS.
It's not all bad news for Sydneysiders, because with high living costs come higher wages, UBS found. Sydney finished second in a table ranking the domestic buying power of its citizens.
UBS found some US cities had fallen in the cost of living rankings, with New York slumping to 14th, if property rental is excluded.
London slumped to 15th place on the list, compared with 10th in 2010.
Sydney has world's third highest shop rents
Quote:

Sydney has been ranked the third most expensive place to rent retail space in the world after New York and Hong Kong, a global real estate survey says.
Sydney was overtaken by Hong Kong, which moved into the number two position as the fastest growing market in the last quarter, the CB Richard Ellis (CBRE) Global Retail MarketView survey showed.

Last edited by Mornnb; 02-13-2012 at 06:24 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 06:06 AM

23 posts, read 50,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
Unfortunately... it's the same way here. Sydney is a very expensive city, easily as expensive as New York and London. If you want to be any where near the harbour, beaches and downtown, and not 45 minutes away from everything in western Sydney, you've got to work your arse off or be great at what you do.

Sydney and Perth are both more expensive than New York and London (real estate aside) but living in new York isn't all about the high life. Even the less fancy areas like Queens and Brooklyn are awesome in their own right

Old 02-13-2012, 06:46 AM

Yeah I am very familiar with New York. Brooklyn ain't Manhattan, but it has some very cool areas like Williamsburg. I would certainly pick New York if I had to live in America, I love that city. And yes, you don't have to be rich to enjoy it.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,530,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
This is why New South Wales has the countries largest loss of population to interstate migration.... people who have given up struggling to live well in Sydney and head off to Queensland. But overseas immigration more than makes up for it. For me, I'll deal with the cost of living, it beats going some place else.

Big-city life in Sydney is a real pain in the hip pocket | News.com.au

This part is very interesting

"Sydney finished second in a table ranking the domestic buying power of its citizens. This ranking is calculated by comparing wages in each location with living costs."

Read more: Sydney now seventh most expensive city

Old 02-13-2012, 02:02 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,755,684 times
Long time ago Australian friend told me all the animals over there we (Americans) think are 'so cutesy' will scratch your eyes out of the sockets: koalas, kangaroos, dingos. LMAO, was news to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand