Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 06:30 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,231,466 times

Advertisements

Simple. Each country admitted as many immigrants as it wanted, according to quotas. Canada admitted more, because they were in a geographical position to take advantage of a large nearby trading partner. Emigrants go where they will be admitted, and dont care about climate..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 05:20 PM

388 posts, read 214,266 times
Because Aussie is chiefly a rural, bushman's country, and I am proud to live here.

My region has changed very little or not at all since the 1950's Snowy Scheme; when Lake Eucumbene flooded the township of Old Adaminaby, that is to say. Fortunately, my ancestor's property (still here, too), is situated upon the upper slopes of this regional, at around 1,300 m AMSL along Bugtown Rd—of whom arrived from Northern Norway (HonningsvÃ¥g) during the mid-19th Century Gold Rush, chiefly about Kiandra.

Thereby, my property was not flooded by Lake Eucumbene (due to my elevation of almost 1,300 m AMSL, compared to the lake surface elevation of 1,168 m AMSL), and I can now enjoy prime trout fishing by the subalpine foreshore of Lake Eucumbene, likewise the Eucumbene River past Providence Portal or Murrumbidgee River upstream of Tantangara and Yaouk. Hunting is prime round these parts, too, with many a stag or fox to shoot.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:01 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,496,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
Inland Australia also mostly dessert ,and cannot support settlement in any numbers. Industry is limited to mining and vast cattle stations (ranches) At least one is alleged to be about the size of Texas.Size is needed due to the the paucity of feed for cattle.

Unlike Canada, Australia was founded as penal colony. The last convict ship arrived in1840.

Snip

Not quite.

The last convicts coming to NSW arrived in 1850.

The last convict ship, the Hougoumont, left Britain in 1867 and arrived in Western Australia on 10th January 1868.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:12 PM

116 posts, read 170,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
A lot of the interior of Canada is uninhabited too, and arguably more harsh than Central Australia.
Canada has more big cities with bigger populations, which give it a bigger overall population.
Australia has huge potential for population growth in the tropics as well, no big cities up there despite ample water supply, so no doubt will eventually surpass Canada.
I've always wondered why this was the case.

Some of the largest cities in the world are based out of the tropics, so why haven't we done the same?

Not to mention if we had bigger cities up North we'd be closer to Asia/the rest of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
Tasmania, with its lush greenery and regular rainfall is also another potential for housing Australia's growing population. A good portion of it remains uninhabited, aside from its two largest cities: Hobart and Launceston.
Not all of Tasmania is lush and green, the East Coast, including Hobart, is very dry, one of the driest capital cities in Aus.

The parts of Tasmania that get the most rainfall (the West and South West in particular) are incredibly inhospitable and not conducive to supporting big cities, nor should the National Parks that make up the majority of the land mass be compromised purely to support large populations.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:00 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,754,926 times
It would be nice if cities like Darwin, Cairns and Townsville could grow into cities of a few million from where they are now. I think that is enough water during the rainy season to support this.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:53 PM

6,057 posts, read 6,006,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaminaby Angler View Post
Because Aussie is chiefly a rural, bushman's country, and I am proud to live here.

My region has changed very little or not at all since the 1950's Snowy Scheme; when Lake Eucumbene flooded the township of Old Adaminaby, that is to say. Fortunately, my ancestor's property (still here, too), is situated upon the upper slopes of this regional, at around 1,300 m AMSL along Bugtown Rd—of whom arrived from Northern Norway (Honningsvåg) during the mid-19th Century Gold Rush, chiefly about Kiandra.

Thereby, my property was not flooded by Lake Eucumbene (due to my elevation of almost 1,300 m AMSL, compared to the lake surface elevation of 1,168 m AMSL), and I can now enjoy prime trout fishing by the subalpine foreshore of Lake Eucumbene, likewise the Eucumbene River past Providence Portal or Murrumbidgee River upstream of Tantangara and Yaouk. Hunting is prime round these parts, too, with many a stag or fox to shoot.
Aussie is the most or close to being, urbanised country on earth. Far call from being chiefly a rural, bushman's country.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:33 PM

388 posts, read 214,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Aussie is the most or close to being, urbanised country on earth. Far call from being chiefly a rural, bushman's country.

Have you ever stepped foot outside of your city boundaries before?

Just try telling that to all them poor ole' Sydney blighters who wish for a simpler, more rural lifestyle...ain't boding well for ya, matey.

The most urbanised country on Earth?! That has got to be the most cretinous statement I have yet to hear...we are a country built on agriculture and mining; whether you'd wank to it, or not, we are a rural-based nation.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:47 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,970,612 times
Rural based in the export economy, but the population lies mostly within the boundaries of cities. I think we are close to 90% urbanised.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaminaby Angler View Post

Have you ever stepped foot outside of your city boundaries before?

Just try telling that to all them poor ole' Sydney blighters who wish for a simpler, more rural lifestyle...ain't boding well for ya, matey.

The most urbanised country on Earth?! That has got to be the most cretinous statement I have yet to hear...we are a country built on agriculture and mining; whether you'd wank to it, or not, we are a rural-based nation.
Ever come out from the bush before? You sound a bit of a troppo case. Expect you'll be called upon to hand in your water pistol before long with it being judged a danger to self and others within range.

Yes some 18,000 did 'flee' Sydney last year. More a case of being priced out by present government policy than a case of escaping to a more rural lifestyle, where employment is scarce, education and medical care not up to city standard, not forgetting a plague of one eyed, One Nation type views overly dominant in too many rural locations or just straight out feral views on life which don't always sit well with cosmopolitan types.

Australia is the most urban populated country on earth, or close to it. Increasing wealth being derived from financial, educational services, over priced real estate not to mention where nearly all the incoming population of migrants head to. The tosser *** would be a grand accomplishment to undertake while you are digesting the facts while at the same time filling in the all too obvious gaps in educational accomplishment.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Rural based in the export economy, but the population lies mostly within the boundaries of cities. I think we are close to 90% urbanised.
No country in the world comes close to Australia's urbanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand