Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 11:28 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,958,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
No country in the world comes close to Australia's urbanity.
The Scandi countries, Japan and NZ are all similar or higher in urbanisation. Argentina and Brazil are also up there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanization_by_country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 11:46 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,347,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
The Scandi countries, Japan and NZ are all similar or higher in urbanisation. Argentina and Brazil are also up there.

A lot of European countries are effectively totally urban as well, due to the close proximity of even small villages to larger towns and cities. Are you really “rural” if the drive to a fair size town is only 15 minutes?

Old 04-14-2019, 11:58 PM

388 posts, read 213,213 times
By rural, of course, I refer chiefly to our low-density nature and our love for the likes of fishing, hunting, sporting, and generally outdoor activities...much unlike them miserable Euro countries.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaminaby Angler View Post
By rural, of course, I refer chiefly to our low-density nature and our love for the likes of fishing, hunting, sporting, and generally outdoor activities...much unlike them miserable Euro countries.
If the authorities would only grant you a passport you could discover the wonders of nature in some of those beautiful Euro countries, but alas unlikely to be.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post

I suspect you know what is meant is the higher density, lack of suburban mundane spread , and all that lifestyle presents, but on pure terms of urbanity that is right.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
If the authorities would only grant you a passport you could discover the wonders of nature in some of those beautiful Euro countries, but alas unlikely to be.
O' don't you worry...I've already a passport, and I've already been to quite a few Euro countries—chiefly for hunting. The nature and townships are jovial in the likes of Cumbria and Northumberland (where I do grouse-shooting), but the crowdedness and absurd population density any southwards of Derbyshire are a bloody nightmare.

Fortunately, Serbia is splendid in all of its aspects: lovely nature; good hunting; stellar culture and politics (I absolutely love nationalism and seeing fellows proud for their country, as well as their folk music); adequate conservation of the Old World and traditional values, likewise. A proper European country—much unlike the lot of em'.

So lovely to see traditional values and heritage being preserved; they shall always prevail.

Euro countries are admittedly very good at preserving heritage, but alas, downright catastrophic regarding their traditional values—just look at Germany or Sweden nowadays, for buggery's sake!

Last edited by Adaminaby Angler; 04-15-2019 at 02:38 AM..

Old 04-15-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
O' don't you worry...I've already a passport, and I've already been to quite a few Euro countries—chiefly for hunting. The nature and townships are jovial in the likes of Cumbria and Northumberland (where I do grouse-shooting), but the crowdedness and absurd population density any southwards of Derbyshire are a bloody nightmare.

Fortunately, Serbia is splendid in all of its aspects: lovely nature; good hunting; stellar culture and politics (I absolutely love nationalism and seeing fellows proud for their country, as well as their folk music); adequate conservation of the Old World and traditional values, likewise. A proper European country—much unlike the lot of em'.

So lovely to see traditional values and heritage being preserved; they shall always prevail.

Euro countries are admittedly very good at preserving heritage, but alas, downright catastrophic regarding their traditional values—just look at Germany or Sweden nowadays, for buggery's sake!

Well I do have some concern if you are in possession of a passport and allowed to exist the country, but allowing you a firearm to fire away at will would obviously be close to insane. But no matter I do not possess the powers to altar events so the world must live with any repercussions.

I suspect the sort of nationalism you aspire to ran its course around eighty years ago. The growing nationalist sentiment in countries like Ukraine and Hungry or Turkey for that matter is close to thuggery. It is certainly taken away freedoms as tends to be the case under such systems.

I am a fan of a sense of national identity though and love the traditional celebrations in Germany which are alive and well. It does not need to be exclusive to blood though, just a wiliness to partake.So yes I do look at Germany and can assure you identity if anything has returned in more recent times , some claim the World Cup of 06 kicked it off , especially with the flag presence but not the extreme foreign hating party of the right.
In the village/district I lived, was very traditional. There a 'special' dialect of the area was spoken, which was fully spoken by migrant kids from Former Yugoslavia, Russia and Turkey.

France has moved on from traditions, not due to immigration as much as the movement of people from the land. A pursuit (working on the land) the majority of French had before the War. There remains a lot of nostalgia in many a outwardly sophisticated French heart for an almost suppressed desire to return to their roots. Obviously most never will.

I am no fan to Slavic nationalism. We have seen the results with the breakup of Yugoslavia. Not to mention the civil war within Bosnia's borders.

Well Cumbria and especially Northumberland are hardly high density counties. Loads of places in the latter to 'get away' from the marauding crowds.Quite amazing Britain, considering population, just how easy to get away from density if so desired. But unlike Australia, the good thing being not too far when civilization is wanted. Another thing though. English towns often display a charm, not apparent in Australian equivalents.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:04 AM

"English towns often display a charm, not apparent in Australian equivalents."

I wouldn't have scorned your other notions in that fine essay you've written, but alas! This jewel in particular has caught my gaze, much to your misfortune.

Are you becoming a blind blighter already, or are you merely a downright numpty? "Australian towns yield no charm" my arse...just look at Millthorpe or Carcoar, NSW for examples of charming Aussie towns. In fact, these towns and their architecture are the standard across much of rural NSW and VIC, so halt with your anti-Aussie codswallop.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
"English towns often display a charm, not apparent in Australian equivalents."

I wouldn't have scorned your other notions in that fine essay you've written, but alas! This jewel in particular has caught my gaze, much to your misfortune.

Are you becoming a blind blighter already, or are you merely a downright numpty? "Australian towns yield no charm" my arse...just look at Millthorpe or Carcoar, NSW for examples of charming Aussie towns. In fact, these towns and their architecture are the standard across much of rural NSW and VIC, so halt with your anti-Aussie codswallop.

From a European perspective Australian towns do not in general display the charm found in such locations. Exceptions of course may exist but an exception to the rule. Feel free to disagree but do try to be receptive to other views far away from your own.
I personally prefer English villages to their Aussie equivalent but can accept some Aussies may prefer something more used to for better or worse. I prefer French towns as a rule to English ones and German ones as well. Nothing to do with anti Aussie codswallop but a lot to do with aesthetics and proximity to a more intellectual landscape and in turn interesting people beyond your hunters and gathers , Bogans and grafters, plus close to centres of culture and diversity where what it is to be human is more readily found.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:46 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,958,943 times
Lol you're just an anti australian snob. Aesthetics aside, this sh*t about a "more intellectual landscape" is just you talking out of your behind. Every country, including European ones, have "rednecks" or bogans or whatever you want to call them in the country. It is the result of being isolated from the cities and having the same people and same landscape for hundreds and thousands of years without much change, which is why reaction to change is so strong giving off that redneck impression.

As for the different cultures, well, they're different. I can't force you to like or dislike certain cultures. But do tell me how these people are more "interesting" than what you can find here. Apart from the obviously different cultures, intelligence and mindset overall would be similar. And "what it is to be human" - puh-lease. Made me laugh and then throw up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand