Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 12:58 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I believe it was equally as wealthy as Buenos Aires at the time.

I know certain posters here have a fairly negative opinion of Australia. But having been to Argentina, I think we have fared an awful lot better than they. We actually sat in a cafe in BA and commented how similar some things were to Melbourne. But so many things there are now a lot worse, unfortunately for them.

Argentina is a good measure just how far Australia could fall. I too have spent time in BA (found the people glum and many struggling as well as often a passive/aggressive temperament lurking under the surface) But enjoyed other parts of Argentina more than BA. Actually while there met a small crowd of Australians of a visiting cruise ship, asking me if I spoke English and for directions.
One should recall if comparing notes the very differing political climate that impacted Argentina as it is the city being discussed, it is more . The fall in living conditions there has been a long time in the making. In Australia, and Melbourne not so long in the making. It sort of makes sense though, turbo charging population growth will result in falling standards across the board. The positives may include increased vitality but not sure if that out weighs the negatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 03:44 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Argentina is a good measure just how far Australia could fall. I too have spent time in BA (found the people glum and many struggling as well as often a passive/aggressive temperament lurking under the surface) But enjoyed other parts of Argentina more than BA. Actually while there met a small crowd of Australians of a visiting cruise ship, asking me if I spoke English and for directions.
One should recall if comparing notes the very differing political climate that impacted Argentina as it is the city being discussed, it is more . The fall in living conditions there has been a long time in the making. In Australia, and Melbourne not so long in the making. It sort of makes sense though, turbo charging population growth will result in falling standards across the board. The positives may include increased vitality but not sure if that out weighs the negatives.
I am more a glass half full person and I always enjoy visiting Melbourne and expect it will thrive.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I am more a glass half full person and I always enjoy visiting Melbourne and expect it will thrive.
Not a question of the liquid volume of glass, but if there will be enough glasses to go around. At the moment turbo immigration/population growth does not bid well for living standards or desirability.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:56 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Not a question of the liquid volume of glass, but if there will be enough glasses to go around. At the moment turbo immigration/population growth does not bid well for living standards or desirability.
I see that as a long term issue as well. Melbourne feels like it's getting saturated, especially near the downtown core.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I see that as a long term issue as well. Melbourne feels like it's getting saturated, especially near the downtown core.
Even not a long term issue but here and now. I see affordability as a major issue in most Australian cities to be honest. I was shocked to read Hobart now second most unaffordable to rent in.
As far as desirability issues are concerned, do people really want to live in outer suburbs devoid of most things considered desirable? It's very hard to stomach, if like me you were around last century and saw what bargains Australian cities were compared to London or Europe.
Turbo population growth is a big factor , but high personal debt (mostly due to over inflated housing) has diminished living standards considerably. Those that missed the boat I really do feel for.
I'm sure Melbourne will grow steadily, but is that at all desirable or indeed required? Quality over quanity would be my theme.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:48 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,956,021 times
None of this is answering the question although that's par for the course for troubadour, always complaining about the same old crap.

It is of growing importance, particularly in the retail, tourism, finance and startup sectors in Australia and it is finally beginning to be recognised globally, especially with the food and coffee scene. Definitely the second most important city in Australia, with Sydney still being top spot. It'll stay like this for a long time.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:33 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
San Fran is somewhat similar.

Melbourne is going to overtake Sydney soon as Australis premier city, so the comparison to NY might change down the line.
In any event, I am not even sure it's possible for Australia to have an NYC-type metropolis.

And it's not just about the duality of similarly-sized cities. Greater LA is actually closer to Greater NYC in population that we often realize, but the two American cities have vastly different characters, roles and functions when compared to the Melbourne-Sydney pairing.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:41 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
None of this is answering the question although that's par for the course for troubadour, always complaining about the same old crap.

It is of growing importance, particularly in the retail, tourism, finance and startup sectors in Australia and it is finally beginning to be recognised globally, especially with the food and coffee scene. Definitely the second most important city in Australia, with Sydney still being top spot. It'll stay like this for a long time.
Sydney is more prominent primarily due to landmarks like the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge, being the main arrival point for international air travellers and more recently the Olympics.

But Melbourne is still very well-known and comes in a decent second. Especially if you're a sports fan as it's home to the F1 Grand Prix, Australian Open tennis, and also the AFL is Melbourne-focused and stands out globally as something uniquely Australian. It also hosted the Olympics before Sydney but that was a very long time ago.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post

While you are welcome to partake in my fan club, as obviously a paid up member taking note of every post, if you do at all find something to disagree with do so respectably, as little need to express Bogan credentials in all honesty.

Obviously as Australia's second city, with cost advantages over Sydney it will grow. Take away those advantages though, which through turbo population growth will increase pollution, housing cost and tourism being so fickle will find greener and more pleasant p-laces to spend their dollar.
Coffee really? Melbourne sells itself on something considered long the norm in many a European city. Food ? Hobart's doing the same. These aspects will hardly sustain tourism long term. But do feature through spin and PR but hardly unique in itself, although Melbourne does for now have a certain uniqueness of city scopes in the Australian context.

As I mentioned, Melbourne if continues along present path of rapid population, with infrastructure failing miserably and costs rising it will continue to fall down the desirability stakes.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sydney is more prominent primarily due to landmarks like the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge, being the main arrival point for international air travellers and more recently the Olympics.

But Melbourne is still very well-known and comes in a decent second. Especially if you're a sports fan as it's home to the F1 Grand Prix, Australian Open tennis, and also the AFL is Melbourne-focused and stands out globally as something uniquely Australian. It also hosted the Olympics before Sydney but that was a very long time ago.
Marvellous Melbourne as it was known, seems to ebb and flow. As I remarked it done quite a remarkable job at reinventing itself from the eighties. Staid and boring were terms I heard expressed from older folk that lived there before that period.
Yes they took the Grand Prix from Adelaide. Sport being a major feature of that city as almost part of identity.
I guess as it lacks the vista and climate of Sydney they had to come up with something that would create a focal point and identity. Melbourne city really took off from what it was and full credit.
One can see where they associate it as being the most European of Australian cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand