Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 08:56 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,514,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I used to do it. Most of the time I was in the UK I worked in Canary Wharf. So I'd peel off early on a Friday afternoon with "a meeting in the City" head to the airport. I'd always try for either City Airport or Gatters just because it was a hell of a lot easier to get to than Heathrow. To be honest, my boss at the time was flying first class to Canada to ski every weekend (pre-GFC glory days in investment banking) so I don't think he would have cared too much about me leaving early every few weeks for a few days on the continent.

If you're flying to smaller cities in Europe then it's not so bad. If it's a large city then yeah you lose a lot of time getting to/from airports dealing with check-in etc.
I far more preferred the 6mth contract type arrangement myself. I saw very little point in spending say two days in Barcelona. Id much rather spend the weekends in oxford, or Kent etc. Then spend a month of two in Spain, when the contract finishes. Canary warf to the city airport sound very manageable, mine usually ended up as Fulham to Stansted (I never actually used the city Airport). The Euro star was fine if Paris or Brussels was the end destination, though i had little interest in either place after been once.

Still given the funds and stamina, I could fly to anywhere in east Asia every weekend if i wanted to, just like your boss did in Canada.

Which is why i just don't get comments like the one trobes came up with. Your ability to travel frequently in 2020, is far more a matter of having the funds and time to do so more than anything else. At this stage of my life with two kids under 7, the 45 minute drive from our place to the Gold Coast fells like a chore, i might do it once a year, which is exactly as often as we fly to Seoul, and yes the direct BNE to ICN flight allows us to have breakfast in Brisbane and Dinner in Seoul.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 05-19-2020 at 10:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 10:38 PM

4,237 posts, read 4,905,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post

Which is why i just don't get comments like the one trobes came up with. Your ability to travel frequently in 2020, is far more a matter of having the funds and time to do so more than anything else. At this stage of my life with two kids under 7, the 45 minute drive from our place to the Gold Coast fells like a chore, i might do it once a year, which is exactly as often as we fly to Seoul, and yes the direct BNE to ICN flight allows us to have breakfast in Brisbane and Dinner in Seoul.
Dunno if I agree a 45 minute drive is the same as an international flight PITAwise. Domestic flying is pretty easy compared to international. Turn up at the airport 30 minutes before flight and off I go. International is a chore, but at least the administrative time is usually spread over a longer period. Seoul is a cool city. If they open it up inside the bubble I'd happily spend a week there and around Korea.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Dunno if I agree a 45 minute drive is the same as an international flight PITAwise. Domestic flying is pretty easy compared to international. Turn up at the airport 30 minutes before flight and off I go. International is a chore, but at least the administrative time is usually spread over a longer period. Seoul is a cool city. If they open it up inside the bubble I'd happily spend a week there and around Korea.
More a figure of speech than anything, of course its not the same, but I get to do both just as often as each other. A long potential long term commitment and kids etc, was a major factor behind me leaving the UK, that did not work out, but is a different story of course.

Seoul can be very repetative, a lot of the districts look exactly the same, of course if you spend a long time in the city you will find all sorts of things that you might not expect on the surface.

There is an amsterdan style red light district not to far from my in-laws house for instance.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 05-19-2020 at 11:15 PM..

Old 05-19-2020, 11:04 PM

570 posts, read 511,534 times
Quote:
Hmm that wasn’t my experience travelling around Europe. It’s not that quick and most airports in Europe are horrible or far away from the city centre. I often do long weekends to South East Asia. Air Asia beats any low cost airline in Europe and Singapore airlines and Qantas are pretty good. The flight I usually take from Sydney leaves at 11pm, I sleep during the whole flight (7hours) and I arrive in the morning to either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur. Also once the UK leaves the EU there will be more security changes and delays, so London to Biarritz in one hour? In your dreams maybe. Melbourne is just one/two hours ride to some pretty nice beaches and ski spots, and that was my main point, so I even dunno why London and Europe were even mentioned.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:05 PM

4,237 posts, read 4,905,820 times
Quote:

There is actually an amsterdan style red light district not to fst ftom my in-laws house.
Good local knowledge!

Old 05-19-2020, 11:07 PM

570 posts, read 511,534 times
https://www.visitvictoria.com/Things.../Getting-there

Old 05-19-2020, 11:21 PM

6,050 posts, read 5,978,228 times
Quote:
Paris is not a French, Spanish or Portuguese beach or a ski filed.

Its just after midday here, now If wanted to go sking in japan or sit on a thai beach tomorrow from the east coast of Australia, and had the time and funds, i could do so. If I was in London and wanted do the same in France leaving at the same time. I should get to the intended destination in France in time for an evening meal, but chances are you would not be doing the actual beach/sking until the next day either.

Your foot comment is just 100% stupid.
Rather apt actually. Paris does have a beach with perfect white sand actually. They actually have 'fire cars' that are very rapid in France. I could most certainly train it to Paris, connect and be at a grand beach in a matter of hours. A Thai beach would take longer, as I expect a Japanese ski resort would take to arrive.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Rather apt actually. Paris does have a beach with perfect white sand actually. They actually have 'fire cars' that are very rapid in France. I could most certainly train it to Paris, connect and be at a grand beach in a matter of hours. A Thai beach would take longer, as I expect a Japanese ski resort would take to arrive.
Yep, just like Brisbane has a "beach" at south Bank. I actually said it would take longer, but you could still be in the intended location within a day, and spend the weekend at your chosen destination before going home.

Do you actually read anything anyone says? Or are you just pushing the tired old eurocentrism, which i though we had agreed upon to be stupid?

They have "Fire Cars" in Japan too, whats your point?

Last edited by danielsa1775; 05-19-2020 at 11:38 PM..

Old 05-19-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Hmm that wasn’t my experience travelling around Europe. It’s not that quick and most airports in Europe are horrible or far away from the city centre. I often do long weekends to South East Asia. Air Asia beats any low cost airline in Europe and Singapore airlines and Qantas are pretty good. The flight I usually take from Sydney leaves at 11pm, I sleep during the whole flight (7hours) and I arrive in the morning to either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur. Also once the UK leaves the EU there will be more security changes and delays, so London to Biarritz in one hour? In your dreams maybe. Melbourne is just one/two hours ride to some pretty nice beaches and ski spots, and that was my main point, so I even dunno why London and Europe were even mentioned.
Borderless in EU countries. Little fuss and most airports have first class public transit to city centres from their airport.
There are plenty of cheap deals from bucket shops in London. Melbourne hardly compares, but each to their own. 7 hours flight from London would be where do you imagine? Only in KL from Melbourne.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Yep, just like Brisbane has a beach at south Bank. I said it would take longer, do you actually read anything anyone says?
Do you? No beaches in Paris? Wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand